• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bus station in Santander

thattallguy

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Norte + Camino Primitivo (2016)
Hello fellow pilgrims! :)

I have a few questions regarding Santander's Bus Station, I hope somebody could help me to answer them.

1) Is it safe to spend a night there? I have no other option than doing that.
2) I would like to catch the first bus to Irun (with ALSA) at 3:45am. Is it possible to buy a ticket at the counter during the night or in the bus?

Thank you.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
In a nearby hotel for sure but the station is a wee bit sketchy.
Purchase of you ticket at a window or on board depends on which bus line you are riding.

The thing is that I will arrive quite late so it makes no sense to book a room just for couple of hours.
I want to take bus from Santander to Irun with ALSA.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I wouldn't hang out in the Santander bus station unless I had very good colloquial Spanish (and a stout Pilgrim staff to hand). There are a couple of bars in the area that may still be open that late but no guarantees. Why not get your head down for a few hours in one of the local hostales and catch the 06:00 or 07:00 departure. Santiago isn't going anywhere.

thattallguy, firstly are you intending to travel to Santiago? If you are then I would support biarritzdon and Tincatinker in advising getting a room, the bus station is not a very hospitable place, dark, gloomy corners and brutalist concrete mainly below ground level. There are seats in a waiting area at street level but not comfortable for a long wait. But if it really is not a possibility for you to get a room, you can buy your ticket online from the ALSA website - they have the option for English version - and then when you get to the station, take the lift down to where the left luggage lockers are. Opposite the lockers is an office with, hopefully, bus station staff still on duty and available to advise you. Otherwise, perhaps you could get your head down for a few hours at the Brittany Ferries terminal a 10 minute walk away, assuming it is open.
Buen Camino

Hi thattallguy! Welcome to the forum!

Is it possible to buy a ticket at the counter during the night

The sales desk closes at 21:15 or 20:30 depending on the date. Not sure about getting a ticket from the driver but be aware the bus comes all the way from Tuy so it might be full. If you really need to take that bus (and can't take a later one after getting some -proper- rest in Santander), your best bet would be to book it online in advance.

I would like to catch the first bus to Irun (with ALSA) at 3:45am.

It departs at 3:45 a.m. but it makes a 15 minutes stop in Santander so you might be able to board the bus at 3:30 a.m.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I would expect that the ferry port will be closed late at night and there is fairly tight security there now, which is actually good news. You don't say how you are arriving. If at the airport then a coffee in the airport facilities might be the answer. The only other alternative might be the FEVE station cafe, if that is open at night. It is across the plaza from the bus station, but like that could well be closed overnight.

Thank you for your help so far.

Tia Valeria: Oh sorry, I forgot to mention that I am flying to Santander. Are the airport facilities opened during the night? :eek: I read somewhere that airport is completely closed at night.

Stayed at the Santander bus station overnight but it was mighty uncomfortable and I got almost no sleep. The ferry office was closed when I got there around 10PM. I did find a few plastic tables and chairs around the back of the ferry office but heard a few shots from the port area which convinced me to return to the bus station.Please say 'hola' to the lovely ladies that patrol the street a few blocks down from the bus station for me - they acted as if I didn't even exist for which I was very grateful.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Santander is a quiet city with a very low crime rate, but the bus station looks a little rickethy. If you think stay there could be unsafe ( I dont, but its my apreciation) it could be a good advise to stay at some bar near the station. Ask the bartender wich is the closing time, most of spanish bars closed at 2. 30 or later.

Forgot the mention the issue of the number of passengers on that bus. It is usually full of passenger so buy your ticket early.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! I walked the Le Puy to Roncesvalles route last spring, and now I am thinking of Arles to Compostela on the Norte in the fall. I have many questions. I have downloaded the WP Norte App. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.