• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bus/taxi services along the Coastal Route

Piscesman1946

Time of past OR future Camino
Portugués (Oct 2019)
I am a newbie and will be walking the CP from Porto to Valenca along the Coastal Route in October. I am 73 and in good shape...and I am expecting blue skies and gentle breezes all the way...but should some ill-health or weather beset me, I was wondering if there are buses or taxis between towns should I find myself falling behind? Thanks!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I walked from Porto to Santiago last year and taxis are readily available. So are buses but not on all segments. I actually look at each planned segment and then do a room2rio website lookup to see what my options are. Some of the segments many even have local railroad to choose from. Either way it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thanks for watching my amateur attempts. I'm headed to walk the first part of the Camino de la Plata (Seville to Salamanca) tomorrow so I'll be posting the first 25 days or so when I get back (postings sometime in June/July).

I use Rome2rio all the time but hadn’t thought to use it on such a small scale! Duh! Bus and/or train on all my segments. Buen camino!

Last edited:
The coastal caminho offers a variety of public transport inside Porto City, e.g. the Metro to Matosinhos.
After that you are heading to the coastline, which means less buses, no train. During summer you pass a lot of open cafés, but in September/October it becomes much less.
From Vila do Conde to Povoa you have a parallel train line which you don't see while walking (500-1000m to the east). Soon you are leaving Porto metropolitan area and again you are following the coast.
I remember buses passing me in Fao/Esposende, but I'm not remembering their destination.
After that I think you have to get to Viana do Castelo somehow. From here the railway runs in parallel to Valenca with stops in any mayor village. Some bigger places have also bus stops of rede-expressos.

October can be windy, rainy, misty and cold or even summer like with ~30°C from time to time. If you like more stable hotter weather start earlier. After some rainy weeks in October/November winter weather tends to be colder but mostly dry (without warranty). The area of Santiago is famous for rain all year round, but Vigo / Pontevedra is not so bad.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I am a newbie and will be walking the CP from Porto to Valenca along the Coastal Route in October. I am 73 and in good shape...and I am expecting blue skies and gentle breezes all the way...but should some ill-health or weather beset me, I was wondering if there are buses or taxis between towns should I find myself falling behind? Thanks!
We are three ladies in their 60's, and we just returned from walking the Portugues coastal route. We had no trouble finding taxis when we needed (or wanted) them. There are definitely buses and trains between many of the cities. We took a taxi from central Porto to the lighthouse to begin the walk. Also, we took a taxi a few miles to bypass smoke from a forest fire in Esposende. We did take a taxi in Vigo from the city center to the edge of town because it is a big city and we did not want to walk on those highways. We had a man (also 73) who walked with us on some legs of the trip, and he did take a train or taxi to bypass some of the steeper parts of the route. I would not worry about this if I was you. Have a wonderful time! Bon Camino!

Most read last week in this forum

My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
Dear all, I have done Camino Frances, Norte and Primitivo and would like to ask about Portuges. I have some soul-searching to do and would love to walk a part of it, unfortunately only a part...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...
Hello, I lost my GoPro with all my pictures on the Camino between Pedra Furada and Aborim last week. Is there a lost and found in SDC? Any other ideas? Thanks and Buen Camino.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back