• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bus Tickets in Spain..pre-purchase or not?

ksam

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Via Francigena...2024
Ok, I have done the deed. I've booked a flight on the 10th of May. It's into Madrid. I'd like to start in SJPP. SO, I've been perusing bus info to Pamplona and then beyond. Wondering what some of my more experienced friends here have to say regarding buying the tickets ahead of time. Or are there usually enough seats and nothing to worry about?

Mucho Gracias, one nervous Perigrina! Karin

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Congratulations, Karin, I bet you are very excited!

I checked this out recently for a friend who doesn't speak much Spanish and is arriving three days before you, and the train fare is not much more than bus and much shorter. Bus is at least 5 and up to 7 hours and about 29 euros. Train is a little more than 3 hours and 35 euros. But maybe you like buses, I'm not trying to dissuade you, just tell you the options in case you didn't know.

I have taken the bus from Madrid to Pamplona, and the bus leaves from the Avda. Americas bus station, which is very convenient from the airport. There's a city bus that goes straight there, with no or just a few stops. I don't know if you're planning to spend time in Madrid or just get going right away as soon as you land at Barajas, but there might also be an option of getting a bus right at the airport, but I haven't checked into that.

And to answer your question about buying tickets -- there are frequent buses between Madrid and Pamplona, at least every couple of hours, and I have bought my ticket as late as 15 minutes before departure without a problem. So I'd say if it's a weekday, non-holiday, you shouldn't have a problem.

Buen camino, Laurie

An advantage of buying your ticket 15 days in advance is that you can get a 25% discount every day except Friday and Sunday.
Unless you have a Spanish credit card you will have to use a PayPal account to pay for the tickets.
I entered in 15 names, passport numbers and seat numbers three times before I realised that the website wouldn't accept my credit card. I ended up paying for the ticket through PayPal and got the group discount of 30% which was a huge saving on 15 tickets.
http://www.alsa.es

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Sil, thanks, unfortunately...I don't have two weeks!! I'm actually outta here in 10 days and a wake up! It was a matter of being able to go when ever the best price was available. I nearly had a ticket for the same flight for even less two weeks ago, but was still waiting on the grandbaby. Now that she's arrived and growing like a weed, I'm safe to move about. Guess I will buy ahead any how...just to have it taken care of and out of the way.

Have you ever done the train from SDC to Madrid? I'm thinking this looks to be a good option as it saves a night in a refugio or hotel!

I have taken the Hotel Tren to Madrid from Santiago. It gets in at about 7h30am and our flights only leave at midnight so its a long day in Madrid. Also it costs much more than the Ryanair flight which can be as low as 25euro.

Thanks for getting back to me Sil. I totally understand what your saying about the long day there! Fortunately my flight leaves around mid day so it really isn't too long. But...I will be checking Ryanair when I get closer. That way I can plan a little more precisely. Good God it's close now!! :shock:

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...
Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling from Australia on a 7 week trip of Europe. We are walking the first few stages of CF from SJPdP to Pamplona only. I've been searching the threads for info...
I’m planning to send to Santiago a smaller bag with things I need for the flight, extra days pre/post Camino, and whatever else I decide that I won’t need. I could send it from Roncesvalles...
I am having difficulty finding out how to get to Belorado from Madrid airport. Arriving 6/1 at about 8 a.m. at airport. After customs and baggage claim, it should be about 9:30 a.m. Willing to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back