• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bus to Santo Domingo de Silos

Felice

Time of past OR future Camino
SJPP to Santiago Sept 2014
I'm walking the camino Frances again in May, and I would like to take a side trip to visit the monastery at Santa Domingo. Early, I came across a reference to a daily bus from Burgos there in the evening and another one back the next day. All I can find at the moment is a bus from Burgos to Hacinas, which is 13km away. Can any of you clever people help?

Maybe I'll have to walk, but I'd rather get to Santiago in the time that I have!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
There is indeed.
I took the bus there and took 3 days to walk back. It was glorious walking.
My bookmark disappeared thanks to a forum upgrade, but here's some info from @falcon269 to start with - it may be out of date, so do check:
There is one bus per day except Sunday from Burgos around 1730 (it may vary a bit from season to season) and returning about 0810 (again, a bit variable). It arrives just in time to run to vespers. Check into a hotel afterward; most are fairly inexpensive and there is no albergue.

BURGOS - SANTO DOMINGO de SILOS
LUNES A JUEVES : 17,30
VIERNES : 18,30
SÁBADO Y DOMINGO: no hay servicio
Días festivos consultar horarios

EMPRESA:
ARCEREDILLO
INFORMACIÓN:
Tlfno: 947 48 52 66
Taquilla: 16

https://silosnews.wordpress.com/horarios/

VN, thanks for that link - that was the one I found several months ago. But now the website is unresponsive. I'm wondering if the company has gone bust, or if they only run a seasonal service. Most annoying!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Oh. Darn.
Maybe try getting in touch with the tourist info office in Burgos, to see if the bus is still happening. They will know. And it's not far so a taxi is also an option.

Another option might be just to take a day to visit the Ermita de Santa Maria de Lara that Alan also visited. Another visigothic gem. It's at Quintanilla de las Vinas, a 6km walk from Mambrillas de Lara, which is by the main road and has a bus service.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
That was the option I found too, only a bit further on to Hacinas, but with my poor Spanish, I'm not sure if I would be able to find a taxi to get me there or not!

BURGOS - SANTO DOMINGO de SILOS

LUNES A JUEVES : 17,30
VIERNES : 18,30
SÁBADO Y DOMINGO: no hay servicio
Días festivos consultar horarios

EMPRESA:
ARCEREDILLO
INFORMACIÓN:
Tlfno: 947 48 52 66
Taquilla: 16
www.autocaresarceredillo.es
Itinerario:

Burgos
Sarracín
Cogollos
Valdorros
Madrigal del Monte
Madrigalejo del Monte
Villamayor de los Montes
Zael
Santa Cecilia
Revilla Cabriada
Castrillo de Solarana
Solarana
Nebreda
Cebrecos
Cebrecos (cruce)
Tejada
Tejada (cruce)
Quintanilla del Coco
Santibáñez del Val
Santo Domingo de Silos

Yecla
Hinojar de Cervera
Hortezuelos
Espinosa de Cervera
Ciruelos de Cervera
Santa María del Mercadillo
Tubilla del Lago
Valdeande
Caleruega

Last edited by a moderator:
Falcon, for some strange reason, I just cannot get the website to work. Usually, just making sure that the website has not been translated, seems to get it to work, but that does not work this time.

Could I ask you to tell me what time the bus back leaves in the morning? Also, does it say how long the bus takes to get to Santa Domingo de Silas, as the route does an amazing tour of numerous local villages. That's important to be able to get to the evening mass on time. Thanks.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
@Falcon, that's the same contact that doesn't seem to work.

@Felice, if you're concerned, just take a taxi - but it should get you there just in time.

This place is wonderful:

View media item 4873
View media item 4872
View media item 4874

Yes it is wonderful. I followed your advice VN, last year, and did the short detour to the church. I took the same pictures of the ornaments as you did...!

Our conversation about the Camino de San Olaf is still the most recent one to pop up in that thread. I wish more people would walk'n-write about this little Camino...!

/BP

The ayuntamiento of Burgos is still listing the bus and its schedule.

And the bus company’s website still lists it — you must have been looking at an old site or something.

The bus line to click on on the company website is Burgos - Caleruega, I took a screenshot —

And now to follow the delightful alternative off-topic suggestion — I too highly recommend the walking option back to Burgos on the San Olav. Rebekah and I walked it a few years ago and it is really nice. I’m hoping to walk from Alicante this year, and hope to take the San Olav back into Burgos from Santo Domingo.

There are quite a few informative threads in the San Olav subforum, if you are interested, Felice.

Attachments

• 1E3AA78B-F247-44D4-B662-1F81B110AF8B.png
    1E3AA78B-F247-44D4-B662-1F81B110AF8B.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 4
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The ayuntamiento of Burgos is still listing the bus and its schedule.

And the bus company’s website still lists it — you must have been looking at an old site or something.

The bus line to click on on the company website is Burgos - Caleruega, I took a screenshot —

And now to follow the delightful alternative off-topic suggestion — I too highly recommend the walking option back to Burgos on the San Olav. Rebekah and I walked it a few years ago and it is really nice. I’m hoping to walk from Alicante this year, and hope to take the San Olav back into Burgos from Santo Domingo.

There are quite a few informative threads in the San Olav subforum, if you are interested, Felice.

I found it tricky to walk "backwards" from Santo Domingo (Covarrubias) to Burgos. But you have already walked it in the right direction (?) so you know the route. For 1st time pilgrims I wouldn't recommend it...!

I found it tricky to walk "backwards" from Santo Domingo (Covarrubias) to Burgos. But you have already walked it in the right direction (?) so you know the route. For 1st time pilgrims I wouldn't recommend it...!
No, Reb and I walked “backwards” the first time. We had a GPS and there were no tricks involved. Using Alex’s guide (which he hadn’t written at the time we walked), you just have to be careful to reverse do the calculations of distances in the right direction. So what I did was make a list of towns in reverse order and put in the distances from his guide and then it all was easy to understand.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Horarios

. TRANSPORTE PÚBLICOEl único autobús que tiene parada en Silos es de la empresa Arceredillo (aunque ni los días de fiesta ni los domingos circula). También tiene parada en las pedanías silenses de Hinojar de Cervera y Hortezuelos (a excepción de la aldea restante, Peñacoba, que carece de parada de autobús).
Los horarios del mismo son los siguientes:
——————.-.-
Para VOLVER / SALIR de Silos——————.-.
– de Lunes a Sábado, a las 08:10h de la mañana.
-.-.-.-.-.-.-.
El destino final de este autobús, podrán ser las estaciones de Lerma o Burgos -entre otros puntos que también forman parte de su recorrido-.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back