• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bus to SJPP

El Capitan

Not all who wander are lost
Time of past OR future Camino
Pelegrino needs a hand .
I arrive in Pamplona tomorrow and can’t seam to find a bus to SJPDP.
I’ve checked on ALSA for trips from Pamplona and all of a sudden I see nothing !
Any suggestions Peregrinos?
Mario El Capitan

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Service may have ended. You can get to Roncesvalles every day but Sunday. From there, you can take a taxi.

HORARIO DE INVIERNO (Desde el 1 de septiembre hasta el 30 de junio)

PAMPLONA RONCESVALLES:
- Lunes-martes-miércoles- jueves: 15:00 h
Salida de la Estación de Autobuses de Pamplona
C/ Yangüas y Miranda, 2 Pamplona (Centro ciudad)
- Viernes: 18:00 h
- Sábados: 16:00 h
- Domingos y Festivos: No hay servicio

RONCESVALLES PAMPLONA:
- De lunes a sábado: 09:20 h (Salida de Roncesvalles)

Service may have ended. You can get to Roncesvalles every day but Sunday. From there, you can take a taxi.

HORARIO DE INVIERNO (Desde el 1 de septiembre hasta el 30 de junio)

PAMPLONA RONCESVALLES:
- Lunes-martes-miércoles- jueves: 15:00 h
- Viernes: 18:00 h
- Sábados: 16:00 h

RONCESVALLES PAMPLONA:
- De lunes a sábado: 09:20 h (Salida de Roncesvalles)
Thank you Falcon, that would work ! It’s only a 5pm bus daily ? Is that through ALSA ?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
@El Capitan as you know, the Route Napoleon is closed. The route through Valcarlos is lovely, but if it is too difficult getting to SJPDP you could start walking from Roncesvalles. Or even Pamplona if you are impatient to start.

Just be aware that 15:00 hrs is 3:00 pm. :) Gets to Roncesvalles at 4:10 pm. I think the bus company is Artieda not Conda/Alsa because their service has already finished for the season on 2 November.
Buen camino

@El Capitan as you know, the Route Napoleon is closed. The route through Valcarlos is lovely, but if it is too difficult getting to SJPDP you could start walking from Roncesvalles. Or even Pamplona if you are impatient to start.
Gracias Kanga, I appreciate your words of concern! Apart from my faith it is this forum that acting angel like in helping my arrive !
I do know that the Napoleon is closed but, have become quite attached to the Balcarlos route ! If not for these changes I might not have even fathomed it , thank you !
I will say I have found a bus through ALIVAR that will take me as far as Roncesvalles . From there I will decide again ! I would like to arrive at SJPDP and begin from there , I have also agree to change with the circumstances!
Gracias a Todos

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Just be aware that 15:00 hrs is 3:00 pm. :) Gets to Roncesvalles at 4:10 pm. I think the bus company is Artieda not Conda/Alsa because their service has already finished for the season on 2 November.
Buen camino
Heda, i found a bus com called Ativar and they will get me as far as Roncesvalles €4.95.
SJPDP is still the plan but we will see !

I recall that before the bus from Pamplona went all the way to SJPDP there was often a group of pilgrims at the end of the line in Roncesvalles who would band together to get a taxi across to SJ. When you are on the bus to Roncesvalles you will recognise the other pilgrims from their backpacks. Try asking if they want to join you in sharing a taxi. Hopefully you will find they do.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
It seems that PLM Autocars has a run from Pamplona to Pekotxeta, Tuesday and Fridays.
Pekotxeta is at the intl' border, near Arnéguy. There are only 11 easy kms to SJPP. I am not sure if there are taxis available.
PLM also does the Madrid-Pamplona service. I suppose a connection is possible

Really enjoying this thread. So many ways to get to SJPdP.
Edit: Actually, what I really like is that a pilgrim from one of the far corners of our world can just get on a plane at any time of year and if for whatever reason can’t make a connection then this forum will sort it all out. Not just that but it will be done in such a kind, uncritical, understated, matter of fact and authoritative way. Yay for everyone!

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
So I’m currently in Carrion de Los Condes, so about halfway through the Meseta!
What I did with the help of this great forum was:
Bcn to Pamplona by train, the found a local bus to Roncevalles where I walked into the albergue and they were so helpful. It was getting late but they helped in organizing a group of three to take a taxi to SJPDP and it was so easy ! 45€ between the 3 of us out in SJPDP early enuff to get credentials , shells a bed with time for dinner. Made friends that night and begin the Camino early in the morning. I walked 2 weeks with those same friends and cherish the times we had in the beginning !
Buen Camino !
By the way yes the Napoleon route was closed . Snow , ice and frost after Orrison, so I was glad for the closure and warnings , do not disregard this warning please ! Walked all the way to Roncevalles through beautiful country on the Valcarlos route!
Leon in a few days !!!!

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Snow , ice and frost after Orrison, so I was glad for the closure and warnings , do not disregard this warning
And the Spanish authorities are grateful that pilgrims obeying the signs do not need to be rescued! I am appalled each year by the pilgrims who endanger the lives of the rescue personnel by taking unnecessary risks just because someone has written a guidebook that extols the "Napolean" route (I think he actually went through Valcarlos...). It sounds like you are having a great time. Buen camino. :)

Most read last week in this forum

hola, I have been trying to book a train from Madrid to Sarria to meet with friends on the Camino. The process works until the payment page. It asks for an email address and a phone number...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back