• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bus/train/taxis along VLDP

Rajy62

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2013, Norte/primitivo 2014, vdlp (2015)
Done the Francis and Norte once and want to try VDLP this year. Some stages seems very long (25-30k). Transport services, like buses or trains or taxis along the VDLP if one wants to shorten the walking distances and still keep the staging.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Done the Francis and Norte once and want to try VDLP this year. Some stages seems very long (25-30k). Transport services, like buses or trains or taxis along the VDLP if one wants to shorten the walking distances and still keep the staging.
Hi Ray
I walked the VDLP in Sept/Oct 2014 - a magical but, at times, challenging experience.
I am not confident that you will be able to access public transport whenever you want/need it on this camino. Some of the stage villages are tiny and may not have taxis or trains and/or only irregular bus services. If you planned ahead and arranged this when you were in a larger centre (ie. for the next/forward stages) it may be doable.

Perhaps other pilgrims have managed this successfully but it is not something I tried to do. It is a wonderful walk and by the end of it a 30-km day became an 'easy' day!!;)
Bye
Mel

Perhaps going ultralight with your backpack might be an option? I don't think that kind of pilgrim infrastructure has reached the VdlP yet. Buen Camino, SY

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I actually think the VdlP is quite doable in combination with bussing a little every once in a while. Most of the time you are in between of two south-north roads: the highway A66 (if I recall correctly) and the N630. This N630 covers a lot of villages along the VdlP and most of those village are covered by a bus using the same road. I think the company was Alsa most of the time. These are not buses that have frequent services, but at least 2 or 3 times a day. Just try and google 'autobus' in combination with villages along the VdlP. I expect a lot of hits.

Thanks everyone for your feedback. I had a quick look at Gerald Kelly's vdlp guide. The stages/distances seems reasonable. Only few sections that are long. I have walked that distance before and it is always good to have a plan B, in case i needed it.. I am not 100% drawn to this trail yet. Just starting to evaluate my choices. I love to go back to Norte also. I guess bacon and eggs are out of the question on vdlp eh?

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Bacon and eggs you will find, you are passing through 'jamon serrano home country' ;-) As for transport options, the only one I found so far is: http://www.mochilasviadelaplata.com/ but they seem to do only backpacks, not people. Buen Camino! SY
That is good news. On those longer stages I can always walk without my pack. I couldn't believe the prices though, 5 Euros?? Hope they have enough packs to stay in business. On the Francis, i paid around 5 Euros on average and sometimes even less because they had high volume. But on Norte, they charged 20 Euros/stage. May be i should stop walking and setup a mochila transport business on Norte.

Last edited:
Hi.

I have always been able to find transportation on the VDLP -- if you're willing to pay for taxis. They can be expensive (about 1 euro per kilometer), although in the last year a lot of B&B owners (casas rurales) will move your bags ahead (or you) for a reduced fee if you've stayed in their inn the night before. There is also now a mochila service similar to the Frances between Ourense and Santiago. Try the Vdlp -- you'll love it!

Melanie

Hi.

I have always been able to find transportation on the VDLP -- if you're willing to pay for taxis. They can be expensive (about 1 euro per kilometer), although in the last year a lot of B&B owners (casas rurales) will move your bags ahead (or you) for a reduced fee if you've stayed in their inn the night before. There is also now a mochila service similar to the Frances between Ourense and Santiago. Try the Vdlp -- you'll love it!

Melanie
Hi Melanie,
Good to have confirmation on the transportation options. I suspected that since there are major roads along the trail there must be transport services. The taxi fare along the Norte and Francis were also about 1 euro/km. I think it is the going rate in Spain.
From what have i read so far, most of the vdlp, at least until Astroga, is just flat. I remember on the Francis, between Burgos and Leon, it was flat also for about 10 days. Not very appealing scenery-wise. Just ordered Gerald Kelly's vdlp guide. I will study the stages/maps in detail. Thanks for your feedback.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I am looking for my next Camino and like the look of this one starting in Seville. I am a solitary individual and comfortable with my own company. My last one was the camino Madrid which was...
I am posting daily blog style updates on Facebook that anyone can see and follow: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.8095032397178476&type=3 There are also video format stories visible on...
Hey folks. I started the Mozarabe from Almeria and took time out in Salamanca to do a 3 week Spanish course in USAL. The course was fine. 4 hours a day. For the first week we had an excellent...
Y’all, one week from today I get on the plane to fly to Sevilla. Growing anxiety. I will start El Camino on April 6. I hope to report progress here and continue to look for advice. How does...
Hello, First time posting but as Google hasn't been helpful I was hoping others here might be able to help with an odd query. I am considering the Via de la Plata from Seville via Sanabres as my...
Does anybody have any good ideas about secure carparking whilst doing the Vía de la Plata from Sevilla to Merida please?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.