• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

bus/trains on north coast

iika

Hello to everybody,

Just found luckily this forum :)
I walk from Pamplona to Burgos last April. Now go back on 28th of March and as north coast camino looks very nice nature wise plan to
walk Santander to Ribadesella -
train/bus inland to Oviedo-Leon-Astorga
- walk Astorga to Santiago.

As all the time I have is just till 13th of April I might need to use some bus/train also on north coast. I have found http://www.alsa.ee and http://www.feve.es sites and to my surprise see, that there seems to be only 2 trains and 4-5 busses per day from Santander - I tought that there will be much more traffic.

Are there some more local bus/train lines I'm not aware of?
Can I assume for example that Santander-San Vicente de la Barquera bus will also stop in the smaller villages? This was the first stop Alsa page gave me after Santander. I have tought to take bus out from Santander to Santillana del Mar and go on from there.

Regarding albergue in Santander - is it easy to find? Will take bus from airport.

While French way is very well marked - can I expect the north way to be as good?

Thank's for any replies.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hi Iika,

Some answers and one question: you said to walk Santander-Ribadessella and take the bus out of Santander to Santillana del Mar...???
That's difficult to do both......

Albergue in Santander: easy to find near the cathedral. Albergue Santos Martires in Ruamayor 9 is from the local Federacion Camino Norte.

Route is not as well marked as the CF but much better than I thought when I walked in May 2006. Take a guide from the UK association.

My experiences with the bus: when getting in ask the driver to give you a sign: he will stop also in the little villages.
And yes: there's a train from Ribadesella to Oviedo and there you can take the train or bus to Leon.

Good luck!

Thanks sillydoll and paulus,

As I might be short of time for all my plans - I really tought to bus Santander -Santillana del Mar and then enjoy more the landscape from there onwards. So I could reach Cobreces in the evening.

I'm based in Estonia, so UK associations do not help me much at the moment :wink:

But I believe that it will work out fine after all. I will see it in 3 days!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Good luck and...Buen Camino.

Paul

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone. I know that pre-booking accommodation has been discussed many, many times, so apologies but I wanted to be quite specific. We are walking from Irún to Bilbao in the first week of...
Hello! I am visiting Northern Spain for the first time this June and would am planning on hiking a small segment of the Camino. I've done a little research and decided to hike between Zarautz and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back