• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bus Transportation Between Towns on Camino Frances?

P

Padraig O'Sheridan

My wife and I will be doing our pilgrimage starting in August 2014. My wife has issues with her legs and may not be able to complete sections of the camino. We are starting in Pamplona and hope to make it to Santiago in 40 days. Is there a bus that makes regular stops along the Camino Frances? Are there bus stations in virtually all villages and towns? You guidance is much appreciated.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Five buses most days follow this route to get you across Navarra to Logrono. Many of the stops are on the Camino. You can see all bus transportation out of Pamplona at this website.

http://www.autobusesdenavarra.com/s...&chk_X=on&chk_J=on&chk_V=on&chk_S=on&chk_D=on

upload_2014-6-12_7-0-14.png

You can do similar searches for "autobus" and key cities for more bus listings than you will find just on the ALSA website. I think ALSA has less than 25% of the actual bus routes that run in Spain. It takes a bit of research!!

When actually on the Camino, you can check for bus service with the hospitalero. If you arrived on a bus, you probably can leave on a bus, but you may not be able to get to every village along the way. Your wife may have to take a bus to a town a day or two ahead of you and wait. Taxis can get you anywhere. They cost about 1E per kilometer. A bus may take you 20km for 2E!!!

My wife and I will be doing our pilgrimage starting in August 2014. My wife has issues with her legs and may not be able to complete sections of the camino. We are starting in Pamplona and hope to make it to Santiago in 40 days. Is there a bus that makes regular stops along the Camino Frances? Are there bus stations in virtually all villages and towns? You guidance is much appreciated.

Generally speaking, almost every village has bus service. The caveat is that a lot of the more remote villages have bus service once per week.

Larger centers are transportation hubs. It is likely that getting to the next village involves backtracking to a transportation hub, using train or bus, then going onward to the next hub and then backtracking to the destination. It requires some knowledge of geography as some hubs, such as Lugo and Palencia, are not on the camino route.

Example is Rabanal. It requires using the 3 times weekly bus to Astorga, then travel to Ponferrada, then backtrack to Molinaseca, the logical stage of walking from Rabanal. I've found the bus company for Rabanal to Astorga along with a phone number, but no schedule other than information posted on this forum (yet).

Pamplona to Logrono has service provided by Estellesa.

Logrono to Burgos has service provided by Autobuses Jiminez.

Castilla Y Leon has the lowest population density in Spain and transportation service is correspondingly sparce. ALSA provides service to many (but not all) of the towns from Burgos to Ponferrada. Many of the villages don't have service.

Most of the villages from O' Cebreiro to Santiago have once a day service by a local bus company. The bus company usually doesn't have a website. Look to the Concello or Ayuntamiento pages for each village, usually the bus schedule is listed.

Burgos to Leon (buses tend to go along the Autovía del Camino de Santiago, and Sarriá to Compostela, may be difficult. You may consider adjusting *your* way to villages with bus services (there is not a rule about which way you should go, really, although most pilgrims obviously prefer the signposted way).
I think it would be better to ask every day to local people or hospitaleros; some things are better solved on the spot.
On the other side, I don' t know if your wife can ride a bycicle. May be an option for both of you.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
If you need to go 10 - 20 miles, you can also find taxis in many towns. not terribly expensive, and worth it when one has "gimpy" legs, knees, feet! and it's a whole other sort of experience travelling with taxi drivers!! One of the taxi drivers I rode with spoke some French, and since I speak French but not too much Spanish, we had a grand time!
Buen Camino!!
Terry

Sillydoll has also written about her recent camino by bus and taxi on her blog which is 'Amawalker'
I think you will find it helpful as well as the posts that scruffy mentions.

we took a few taxis and two busses due to some health issues. Check with where you're staying and expect, as stated earlier, that some of the smaller towns won't have service. I chose to stay with my wife when she took transit but met more than a few who had people waiting for them ahead. Just remember, if she is going ahead she will need your credentials if she is going to book you a room when she arrives and waits for you.
Buen Camino.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back