• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bus travel question - Lisbon to Porto

Gailsie

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances Fall '09 ;
Would I have to reserve a seat on a bus from Lisbon to Porto? I will probably be arrived in Lisbon in the late afternoon and plan to spend the night in Lisbon. Would I have to go that first day to purchase my seat ahead of time or just show up the next day and buy my ticket? I don't have exact date of travel yet but it will be late April or May.

Many thanks for the information

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Unless you are traveling on an unusually high-traffic day, right before a holiday or a long weekend, I don't think a reservation is necessary. Buses are very frequent.

You might also want to consider the train. If you will be in central Lisbon, the downtown train station will be more convenient than getting to either of the two bus stations (Sete Rios, essentially at the zoo; or Oriente, out at the expo site on the river). There are at least 15 trains a day, it's a three hour trip and I see web fares from as low as 15 euros. Standard rack rate is 30. I think the bus is probably around 15-20.

Buen camino. Laurie

Thanks Laurie for the information. I thought of the bus to Porto so I could see the countryside and it is fairly short. Was considering the train for the way back from SdC as it is a longer trip. So maybe will do the train both ways.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Thanks Laurie for the information. I thought of the bus to Porto so I could see the countryside and it is fairly short. Was considering the train for the way back from SdC as it is a longer trip. So maybe will do the train both ways.
You can also fly to Porto. I believe it's Air Transat flies straight into Porto from Toronto. So maybe also from NB?

I am planning on flying out of Halifax as it is cheaper for me. Air Canada has the monopoly here in Fredericton and it costs a fortune to get to Toronto. It is a killer to have to fly over Fredericton on the way to Europe from TO. I want to fly into Lisbon so I get a few days there, I love that city!!!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I will start my camino from Porto in June. I'll be flying to Lisbon from Shanghai. The train info is very useful. As for going back to Lisbon from SdC, is there a direct train?

I will start my camino from Porto in June. I'll be flying to Lisbon from Shanghai. The train info is very useful. As for going back to Lisbon from SdC, is there a direct train?

No direct train, only direct bus.

Go for ALSA website, and check it out. With train, you would have to go to Vigo, from Vigo to Porto and then from Porto to Lisbon.

Every day, at 12am you have a bus departing to Lisbon. It stops in Vigo, Braga, Porto (Airport and Casa da Música), Albergaria-a-Velha, Coimbra and Pombal or Fatima (it depends from the time of the year).

If you buy the ticket with 30 or plus days in advance, you can get a 50% discount. However, if you choose this promotion, you can't change your ticket date, nor have a refund if something happens. Has I've said, the bus departs everyday at 12am from Santiago (11am in Portugal), and arrives in Oriente station (the nearest one from the airport) at 8:30pm Portuguese time.

No direct train, only direct bus.

Go for ALSA website, and check it out. With train, you would have to go to Vigo, from Vigo to Porto and then from Porto to Lisbon.

Every day, at 12am you have a bus departing to Lisbon. It stops in Vigo, Braga, Porto (Airport and Casa da Música), Albergaria-a-Velha, Coimbra and Pombal or Fatima (it depends from the time of the year).

If you buy the ticket with 30 or plus days in advance, you can get a 50% discount. However, if you choose this promotion, you can't change your ticket date, nor have a refund if something happens. Has I've said, the bus departs everyday at 12am from Santiago (11am in Portugal), and arrives in Oriente station (the nearest one from the airport) at 8:30pm Portuguese time.
Thanks Diogo92. This is a big help in my planning.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...
Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling from Australia on a 7 week trip of Europe. We are walking the first few stages of CF from SJPdP to Pamplona only. I've been searching the threads for info...
I’m planning to send to Santiago a smaller bag with things I need for the flight, extra days pre/post Camino, and whatever else I decide that I won’t need. I could send it from Roncesvalles...
I am having difficulty finding out how to get to Belorado from Madrid airport. Arriving 6/1 at about 8 a.m. at airport. After customs and baggage claim, it should be about 9:30 a.m. Willing to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back