• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bus........

CarlyA

Time of past OR future Camino
Leon to Santiago De Compostela (Aug /Sept 2016)
Good Day Everyone,
My Mom and I are walking from Leon to Santiago De Compostela starting at the beginning of September (2016). My Dad and my 5 year old Daughter are coming with us, but will not be walking.
I am having a heck of a time finding a bus schedule (etc) to get them from one place to another.
Can anyone help me out by pointing me in the right direction.

Thanks a million in advance :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi CarlyA! Welcome to the forum!

León-San Martín del Camino; San Martín del Camino-Astorga are made by Alsa: www.alsa.es/en

From Astorga to Foncebadón, Autocares Pedrín (http://autocarespedrin.e.telefonica.net) has buses but I think they don't run daily so check with them once on the ground. From Foncebadón to Ponferrada, AFAIK, there aren't buses. I would suggest to go all the way from Astorga to Ponferrada (either by bus or train) even if that means your dad and daughter miss you one night.

Astorga-Ponferrada; Ponferrada-Villafranca del Bierzo; Villafranca del Bierzo-Pedrafita do Cebreiro (roughly 4 kms away from O Cebreiro) are made by Alsa. Once in Pedrafita do Cebreiro, you can take a taxi to O Cebreiro because the bus from Pedrafita do Cebreiro to O Cebreiro departs early in the morning.

Pedrafita do Cebreiro-O Cebreiro; O Cebreiro-Triacastela and Triacastela-Sarria are made by Monbus: www.monbus.es There isn't service on Sundays.

Sarria-Portomarín is made by Empresa Portomarín: www.empresaportomarin.com

From Portomarín to Palas de Rei there aren't direct buses. For that strecht you have two options to take a taxi (quicker) or to make the route changing buses in Lugo (a big detour but probably -way- cheaper). The bus companies making the route from Portomarín to Lugo are Empresa Portomarín (this one makes it daily and offers more frequencies) and Monbus. From Lugo to Palas de Rei, the bus company that makes it is Empresa Freire.

Palas de Rei-Arzúa; Arzúa-O Pedrouzo and O Pedrouzo-Santiago de Compostela are made by Empresa Freire: www.empresafreire.com

While buses parallel most of the route between Leon and Santiago, they do not serve all the towns and villages. If you go to ALSA and look at the itinerary of a local bus, you can see the major stops. From Melide onward there are local buses that follow the route fairly closely.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thank you so much!!!!!!
I appreciate all of that!!!

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Just want to say how impressed I am with this comprehensive response.

Hi CarlyA! Welcome to the forum!

León-San Martín del Camino; San Martín del Camino-Astorga are made by Alsa: www.alsa.es/en

From Astorga to Foncebadón, Autocares Pedrín (http://autocarespedrin.e.telefonica.net) has buses but I think they don't run daily so check with them once on the ground. From Foncebadón to Ponferrada, AFAIK, there aren't buses. I would suggest to go all the way from Astorga to Ponferrada (either by bus or train) even if that means your dad and daughter miss you one night.

Astorga-Ponferrada; Ponferrada-Villafranca del Bierzo; Villafranca del Bierzo-Pedrafita do Cebreiro (roughly 4 kms away from O Cebreiro) are made by Alsa. Once in Pedrafita do Cebreiro, you can take a taxi to O Cebreiro because the bus from Pedrafita do Cebreiro to O Cebreiro departs early in the morning.

Pedrafita do Cebreiro-O Cebreiro; O Cebreiro-Triacastela and Triacastela-Sarria are made by Monbus: www.monbus.es There isn't service on Sundays.

Sarria-Portomarín is made by Empresa Portomarín: www.empresaportomarin.com

From Portomarín to Palas de Rei there aren't direct buses. For that strecht you have two options to take a taxi (quicker) or to make the route changing buses in Lugo (a big detour but probably -way- cheaper). The bus companies making the route from Portomarín to Lugo are Empresa Portomarín (this one makes it daily and offers more frequencies) and Monbus. From Lugo to Palas de Rei, the bus company that makes it is Empresa Freire.

Palas de Rei-Arzúa; Arzúa-O Pedrouzo and O Pedrouzo-Santiago de Compostela are made by Empresa Freire: www.empresafreire.com

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
This guide has excellent maps that show the Camino but also roads, routes, highways, bus and train stations. It may help you picture things and plan.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/3763348352/?tag=casaivar02-20

As was mentioned before, many of the places you will be walking through are off route, and places where albergues are locatd as well, or only served by bus once or twice a day, especially on weekends. Taxis may be something to consider here an there. Budget 1€ per km. Taxi phine numbers can be found in many places: albergues, bars, along the Camino on trees! ;0)

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.