• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Buses along Camino Ingles

andycohn

Time of past OR future Camino
See signature
My wife and I are finishing up the Camino del Norte later this week, and with a few days left over, we're thinking of exploring the Ingles for part of its length. Does anyone know a bus line that runs from Betanzos or Hospital de Brumas, or points in- between, to Santiago? I've tried the usual suspects - Alsa, Monbus, Busbus, Rome2Rio - but can't find anything. (And yes, we've already walked to Finisterre and Muxia, so don't need that suggestion). Thanks!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Someone may be able to give further advice on local buses but ALSA do run a bus service between Betanzos and Santiago. I just looked up services for tomorrow as an example and there are 5 buses listed from Betanzos to Santiago: 0715, 1150, 1830, 2125 and 2305. The fare is 7.37 euro.

Thanks. Appreciate that. Itinerary is a bit funky as it goes back to A Coruna, and we were hoping to push on further towards Bruma. But it's a possibility, at least.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
If you have a couple or three days over, the first two guidebook stages of the Ingles are the prettiest. Ferrol to Pontedeume and then Pontedeume to Betanzos. Both these stages walk round the coast, past white sand beaches, although I appreciate that you will have seen much coast and beaches on the Norte. The inland stages after Betanzos are not what I would call especially picturesque, but it depends what you want.

However, the Ferrol to Pontedeume stage is almost 30 km, and therefore, after a long walk, you may want to split this stage into two. Ferrol to Xubia / Naron or thereabouts, and then Xubia / Naron to Pontedeume, and then a third day Pontedeume to Betanzos.

Although it takes longer, you can catch the train from Betanzos to Santiago, via A Coruna, and the journey is quite picturesque.

Again, you will have seen large Spanish cities such as Santander on the Norte, but A Coruna is worth spending some time in. Although the Ferrol to Santiago Camino Ingles takes 5 days minimum, the A Coruna to Santiago Camino Ingles route takes 3 days minimum, so you may want to consider this if you want to walk the whole of another Camino

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
There are buses from Sigueiro, but it is a train from Betanzos which connects through Monforte de Lemos.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Andy, this link might be helpful. It (hopefully) shows the bus route between A Coruña bus station and Santiago. There's a stop near Bruma - from what I can recall, it's really close to O Meson Nova (on the main road). The bus also stops in Sigueioro and I recall there being a few bus stops in the final stages of the walk into Santiago (I remember sheltering from the rain in them!).

If you put Ferrol as the starting point in the search box, it shows a route starting there, but I couldn't see any indication of the stops.

Also - the Camino Ingles oracle @miguel_gp posted a potentially useful comment and pdf in this thread (it's #13). There are other good comments there too.

If all else fails, the nice people in the tourist office in Santiago will sort you out when you arrive there!

Happy planning and Buen Camino.

Hi Andy, this link might be helpful. It (hopefully) shows the bus route between A Coruña bus station and Santiago. There's a stop near Bruma - from what I can recall, it's really close to O Meson Nova (on the main road). The bus also stops in Sigueioro and I recall there being a few bus stops in the final stages of the walk into Santiago (I remember sheltering from the rain in them!).

If you put Ferrol as the starting point in the search box, it shows a route starting there, but I couldn't see any indication of the stops.

Also - the Camino Ingles oracle @miguel_gp posted a potentially useful comment and pdf in this thread (it's #13). There are other good comments there too.

If all else fails, the nice people in the tourist office in Santiago will sort you out when you arrive there!

Happy planning and Buen Camino.
Thanks. That's helpful. There seem to be possibilities at least. I'll sort out the details at the Galicia tourist office in Santiago.

Hi Andy, Ok from Bruma you may be right, but Meson do Vento is only a couple of KM from Bruma Albergue and the bus runs along the N-550 all the way into SDC.Screenshot_20180607-180042_Firefox.jpg

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi, I maybe a bit late coming to this thread but the Santiago - A Coruña bus is your probably your best bet. The Ingles route mostly runs about a km or 2 to the right hand side of the bus route on the N550. The route meets the main road in Sigueiro and at Meson Do Vento (via a waymarked path back to it). If you jump off the bus at Meson just opposite the Hotel Canaima on your left and 50 metres past the Pension O Meson Novo on your right, walk back past the Pension and the next road on your left is waymarked back to the route proper. This will bring you out about a km or so south of Hospital De Bruma. On the attached map, lower blue line is the route back to the main Ingles route and then south to Santiago. Higher blue line leads back to the Albergue at Bruma. Both start in Meson Do Vento behind the Pension.
Screenshot_2018-06-09-08-07-40.png

That said, and commented on earlier in the thread, the more picturesque (but tougher) parts of the Ingles are from Ferrol through to Betanzos before the route heads away from the coast. Bus to Ferrol from Santiago also stops at Pontedeume and Fene so you could walk from any of those places back to Betanzos and then taxi back to Meson Do Vento (approx €20-25) to catch bus back to SDC.
I'm sure you will enjoy whatever you choose.
Buen Camino.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I caught a bus from Betanzos to Miño, which is part of the route that continues on to Fene/Neda, I believe. I can't remember the name of the line, it ran with some frequency (hourly or every couple of hours).

EDIT: it was Arriva that I took.

There's also a small local line that runs from Betanzos to Presedo and other Camino stops near there, but they don't appear to get you to Bruma and they only do a few circuits per day: http://www.empresagilsanz.com/servicio-regular-de-autobuses/

IMG_2019.PNG

Last edited:
Thanks to you all for your help and advice. (It takes a village). It looks like the simplest thing to do is bus from Santiago to Ferrol, then walk to Meson do Vento, just past Bruma and pick up the Monbus back to Santiago. I also found out that the Camino has recently been re-routed between Betanzos and Bruma, shortening it by several kilometers and eliminating much of the climb, so that should make that stage much more doable in a single day. We hit Santiago from the Norte tomorrow. Buen Caminos to you all.

When you are almost to Bruma, there's a roadside bar called Bar Avelina. You can keep walking up that road (the AC-542 meets up with the N-550 in a roundabout) straight into Meson do Vento, the bus stop is on that side of town (as @miguel_gp describes above). Will save you a little distance from going to the Bruma Albergue then back up to Meson do Vento. (Although, it is more walking along a busy highway ... just wanted to throw that option out there for you.)

IMG_2254.jpg

IMG_2255.jpg

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
When you are almost to Bruma, there's a roadside bar called Bar Avelina. You can keep walking up that road (the AC-542 meets up with the N-550 in a roundabout) straight into Meson do Vento, the bus stop is on that side of town (as @miguel_gp describes above). Will save you a little distance from going to the Bruma Albergue then back up to Meson do Vento. (Although, it is more walking along a busy highway ... just wanted to throw that option out there for you.)

View attachment 43455

View attachment 43456
Thanks.

Most read last week in this forum

I will be walking my first ever camino this September and have chosen the Camino Ingles. The Inca Trail is the only other multi-day hike I have ever done and is roughly the same length in terms of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.