• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

buses between towns Lisbon to Porto

Charbias

Time of past OR future Camino
St James Way ( 2011)
Portuguese Way Lisbon Porto
I am walking from Lisbon to Porto in April, but only have 2 weeks. I plan on walking 25 to 30kms a day - but will still need to catch a bus a few times. Is this possible?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
It's a possibility from the bigger towns that are along the route: Santarem, Tomar, and Coimbra all have major bus stations that are hubs for the smaller towns surrounding them.

What you may find problematic is that typically, for the smaller towns, the local buses run from each one to the bigger hub in the mornings, for high school students, workers, and commuters; and then run back to the smaller towns in the evenings.

It's probably best to look at hopping between two of the larger places. That will typically use the railway, CP, rather than the bus, since the local authorities are reluctant to subsidize a bus service where there already is a good railway link that costs about the same.

CP website (easy to use!): https://www.cp.pt/passageiros/en

Their network map (not so easy to find!): https://www.cp.pt/StaticFiles/Passageiros/3_viajar/0_servicos/mapa-servicos.pdf To hop from town to town, you'll usually want the Regional service marked in red. It stops at all the small stations, and is a bit less expensive than the other services. No reserved seats, as a rule. A great service!

A more simplified map is here: https://www.cp.pt/passageiros/en/how-to-travel

f you are committed to the bus, Santarem to Fatima is a good bet, and then a local bus from Fatima to Tomar or Fatima to Coimbra. Because of its religious significance to the Portuguese and location off a railway line, there is an unusually strong network of buses between the bigger towns/smaller cities and Fatima.

Bom Caminho!

Last edited:
Check out the Rome2rio app that can be helpful. You can always ask the locals at the bar about busses. Lots of people in Portugal speak some if not good English and they are the kindness and most helpful people you could ever want to meet. I don't take busses but I have heard others ask about them and local knowledge is always the best knowledge. Older folks are really helpful because many depend on buses.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thanks so much for information - it's very practical and useful

"...local knowledge is always the best knowledge. Older folks are really helpful because many depend on buses."

@Charbias, I see you're from France. With older people, you will likely find your native language, French, more useful than English if you don't speak Portuguese. Give it a try!

Until the late 70s, the "second language" taught in Portugal was French rather than English. I have often been surprised that my (undoubtedly weak) high school French is more useful than English in smaller Portuguese communities!

It's a possibility from the bigger towns that are along the route: Santarem, Tomar, and Coimbra all have major bus stations that are hubs for the smaller towns surrounding them.

What you may find problematic is that typically, for the smaller towns, the local buses run from each one to the bigger hub in the mornings, for high school students, workers, and commuters; and then run back to the smaller towns in the evenings.

It's probably best to look at hopping between two of the larger places. That will typically use the railway, CP, rather than the bus, since the local authorities are reluctant to subsidize a bus service where there already is a good railway link that costs about the same.

CP website (easy to use!): https://www.cp.pt/passageiros/en

Their network map (not so easy to find!): https://www.cp.pt/StaticFiles/Passageiros/3_viajar/0_servicos/mapa-servicos.pdf To hop from town to town, you'll usually want the Regional service marked in red. It stops at all the small stations, and is a bit less expensive than the other services. No reserved seats, as a rule. A great service!

A more simplified map is here: https://www.cp.pt/passageiros/en/how-to-travel

f you are committed to the bus, Santarem to Fatima is a good bet, and then a local bus from Fatima to Tomar or Fatima to Coimbra. Because of its religious significance to the Portuguese and location off a railway line, there is an unusually strong network of buses between the bigger towns/smaller cities and Fatima.

Bom Caminho!

Thank you so much for this really great information

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
"...local knowledge is always the best knowledge. Older folks are really helpful because many depend on buses."

@Charbias, I see you're from France. With older people, you will likely find your native language, French, more useful than English if you don't speak Portuguese. Give it a try!

Until the late 70s, the "second language" taught in Portugal was French rather than English. I have often been surprised that my (undoubtedly weak) high school French is more useful than English in smaller Portuguese communities!

Thanks so much for this information - I am actually South African, working in France for a few years - but good to know that my French could come in handy :)

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back