• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Buses between Tricastela and Rabanal

georgewatkinson

Time of past OR future Camino
Future camino - summer 2018
Hello

I am joining a friend who is walking the camino ending in Santiago, but I am only joining her for a week between Rabanal and Tricastela.

I am flying in and out of Santiago airport.

Does anyone have any advice for how to get to Rabanal and back from Tricastela? The buses seem quite limited.

Any advice would be gratefully received.
Thank you.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
You need to ask different questions. Especially if you are trying to construct 'unusual' journeys. Travelling from Santiago to Leon isn't to challenging. Leon to Rabanal is fairly straightforward to, though combining those two ventures may well require two separate travelling days (at least you will get time to enjoy Leon) and you will get the chance to make an Astorgan taxi driver very happy.

A taxi from Tricastela to Sarria gets you into the reflex route for many who travel SdC to Sarria with buses to Lugo and on to Santiago via the airport.

I advise that you and your friend reconsider where you might undertake your mutual walk. Your current choices offer some pretty challenging logistics. If you haven't tried it www.Rome2rio.com is pretty good for route planning but some routes just don't have sensible resolutions.

If you are going there you may not want to start from here....

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Bus from Santiago airport to Santiago train station, then a train Santiago-Astorga (there are usually 2 direct trains daily, both in the morning, so you may need an overnight stay in Santiago depending on your flight time). Then taxi Astorga-Rabanal (the taxi will probably cost you around 30-40 Euro).
From Triacastela: Taxi to Sarria, then bus (Empresa Freire or Monbus) to Lugo, and bus (Empresa Freire) from Lugo to Santiago Airport.

Complicated and not really cheap, but doable. Or as someone else suggested, you may want to look at a walking section with slightly more accessible start and end points.

There is no bus service to Rabanal from anywhere. Tricastela has an occasional bus from Sarria.
I was a volunteer in the albergue Guacelmo Rabanal in 2012 and we took the bus from Rabanal to Astorga to do the food shopping and the return journey by bus Astorga /Rabanal

Bus from Santiago airport to Santiago train station, then a train Santiago-Astorga (there are usually 2 direct trains daily, both in the morning, so you may need an overnight stay in Santiago depending on your flight time). Then taxi Astorga-Rabanal (the taxi will probably cost you around 30-40 Euro).
From Triacastela: Taxi to Sarria, then bus (Empresa Freire or Monbus) to Lugo, and bus (Empresa Freire) from Lugo to Santiago Airport.

Complicated and not really cheap, but doable. Or as someone else suggested, you may want to look at a walking section with slightly more accessible start and end points.
for what it is worth, last year I was in Triacastela and was having breathing problems and inquired about a bus I was told there was a bus and to go at the end of the town. I believe it was to take me to Sarria. Nevertheless once I started walking decided not to take the bus and eventually arriving in Sarria and rested for 2 days. The info about to Sarria from Triacastela was given to me by the owner of the bar at Pension.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I was a volunteer in the albergue Guacelmo Rabanal in 2012 and we took the bus from Rabanal to Astorga
I stand corrected. I asked:

From the Confraternity of St. James:
There doesn’t seem to be any information online about a bus from Astorga to Rabanal. It seems to either be a day’s walk or a 25-minute taxi ride.

Best wishes
Freddy Bowen

From the bus company:
A Rabanal martes y viernes a las 13.30 horas
A Foncebadon a las 13.30 horas los viernes

UN SALUDO

I don't think anything goes to Triacastela except from Sarria.

Most read last week in this forum

hola, I have been trying to book a train from Madrid to Sarria to meet with friends on the Camino. The process works until the payment page. It asks for an email address and a phone number...
Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back