• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Busier route

bolter

Time of past OR future Camino
camino francés 2007
le puy to SJPdeP 2017
Hi all, which route is the busier in May: Arles or Vezelay?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Bolter,
I would not say any of them is "busy" ;)
Both are quite lonely routes where the probability that you meet more than 10 other pilgrims on the way is close to zero...
There no comparison possible between the le Puy route and the others in France!

Buen Camino, Jacques-D.

Hi Jacques-D, Thank you. I'm trying to decide which of these routes to take starting from the beginning of May. I have to leave in May to fit in with other commitments. Last year I had to give away walking from Le Puy because of the press of pilgrims and the constant difficulty of finding accommodation and I don't want this to happen this year.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The French will be out walking in May, so there will be fellow hikers. Arles will have more, but the difference will not be noticeable! Both routes are part of the GR system, and attract walkers for athletic reasons more than religious reasons. The French call ahead regardless of whether it is busy or crowded. Particularly for chambres d'hote you must call ahead if you expect them to be open. The hosts do not sit around waiting for drop-ins. If no one is on their customer list for the day, they may just take off! Bon chemin.

Can’t speak for Arles route (or Le Puy) but I walked Vezelay route last June. It was very quiet. And a heatwave. Only parts of it follow the GR and even then I met no hikers. Accommodation was never a problem but calling ahead eased anxiety, knowing I had a bed and (sometimes) a meal later when I was tired and my feet were hurting. Mostly pilgrim hostels, a few chambres d’hote. I was prepared to sleep a la belle etoile but never needed to. It’s not a dramatic landscape - mostly gentle and quite varied, moving from the Morvan, through Limousin, and on to Perigord when I started to sense the South ahead of me. I took a month and made 600 km, stopping in Perigueux. Whichever you choose, Bon Chemin!

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back