• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Busses between towns on the Camino Frances?

peakpair

I most likely will not be able to walk the entire Camino. Are there generally busses running between the towns or just between the major cities such as Pamplona and Santiago?

thanks

A selection of Camino Jewellery
It seems to vary. I walked quite a bit with two people from Quebec, and occasionally the woman needed to take transport because of knee problems. Quite often there was a local bus available that traveled between smaller towns/villages. (These usually didn't run on Sundays though.) At other times she needed to take a taxi.
Margaret

I think you will find lots of busses between towns on the Camino Frances. Check with the tourist agency in one of the larger towns...they can give you maps and tell you how to navigate busses through the smaller towns. Buen Camino!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
For those pilgrims requiring buses between towns, the http://www.alsa.es web pages contain bus routes and timetables and prices. It is possible to go from Burgos almost all the way to Santiago d.c. by bus. For example, Buses connect Burgos, Fromista, Sahagun (via Palencia) Leon, Astorga, Ponferrada. Furthermore, there is a bus which leaves Portomoran around 9.00 am which will take you to Santiago d.c. via Palas del Rei. Buen camino Jrs

For timetables of buses I would also suggest you go to the local bus station (times are posted at the offices). Or ask the albergue, most locals seemly have a timetable in their heads as nothing is posted at bus stops.
Also if you wish to pre-plan before you leave home you should look for the local council’s website. The example given above for Portomarin is one. The website gives far more details of bus times and routes than ASLA as the service is run by a local company.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
due to knee problems I had to take a few buses when I did my camino in September last year. Either ask at the albergue and they will show you where the bus stop is, or ask at the tourist office in the bigger places. I found the albergue operators always knew when the bus left and where from, cheers, Jane

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back