A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Busses to Finisterre

#1
Santiago to Fiisterre bus routes

Hola,

on another list serve, questions have been asked about the bus company that services the route from Santiao to Finisterre. When I took it years ago, it doubled as a school bus in the afternoons and ran fairly regularly but stopped at every small town.

Can you give information on that?

thanks,
Kathy Gower
 

Advertisment

ivar

Administrator
Staff member
#2
Hi Kathy,

I just called the busstation and they told me the following:

Weekdays:
- 7 busses (doing a round trip)
- First one leaves Santiago at 8.00, last one returns from Finisterre at 16.30

Saturdays:
- 3 busses (doing a round trip)
- First one leaves Santiago at 8.00, last one returns from Finisterre at 15.00

Sundays:
- 3 busses (doing a round trip)
- First one leaves Santiago at 8.00, last one returns from Finisterre at 18.00

It is the buscompany "Arriva" that has this service, contact info below. I don't think they have a webpage.

Arriva
Estación de autobuses
Tel: 981 588 511

Ivar
 
#3
busses Finisterre to Madrid

Thanks, Ivar...

now the inquiry is on busses between Madrid and Finisterre. I imagine one has to go through Santiago...is this correct?
 

ivar

Administrator
Staff member
#4
Yes, this is correct.

For busses between Santiago and Madrid, see http://www.alsa.es

Note that there are two routes. One goes the "interstate" all the way down (faster). One visits "all" the pueblos in Galicia before going on the interstate (more slow). I think you can distinguish the two by traveling time but also by seeing the schedule for each individual departure (it lists a short itinerary).

It looks like there is about a one hour difference in travel time.

I hope this helps,
Ivar
 
#5
The bus station is a bit out of the centre of Santiago.
To get bus information in the centre of Santiago, you can go to the tourist information desk. It is marked on every map you will find there.
They gave me a small card with all hours for Arriva busses to Finisterre and back.
 

Advertisment

#6
Dear Ivar

Is this still in operation as I wd like to take the bus from Santiago and return the same day.
Many thanks

ivar said:
Hi Kathy,

I just called the busstation and they told me the following:

Weekdays:
- 7 busses (doing a round trip)
- First one leaves Santiago at 8.00, last one returns from Finisterre at 16.30

Saturdays:
- 3 busses (doing a round trip)
- First one leaves Santiago at 8.00, last one returns from Finisterre at 15.00

Sundays:
- 3 busses (doing a round trip)
- First one leaves Santiago at 8.00, last one returns from Finisterre at 18.00

It is the buscompany "Arriva" that has this service, contact info below. I don't think they have a webpage.

Arriva
Estación de autobuses
Tel: 981 588 511

Ivar
 
#8
It's certainly possible to get to Finnisterre and back in a day from Santiago - but, as others have said, the bus is not a direct non-stop and that's why there is a certain vagueness about how long it takes - my bus was quick on the roads but then stopped at a cafe about half way with more minor detours along the way for villages and, on the way back, a change of coach - so count on 2.5 hours each way for the bus and say 1.5 hours max for the round-trip from the bus station in Finnisterre to the lighthouse including time for reflection
 

ivar

Administrator
Staff member
#9
Re:

spursfan said:
It's certainly possible to get to Finisterre and back in a day from Santiago - but, as others have said, the bus is not a direct non-stop and that's why there is a certain vagueness about how long it takes - my bus was quick on the roads but then stopped at a cafe about half way with more minor detours along the way for villages and, on the way back, a change of coach - so count on 2.5 hours each way for the bus and say 1.5 hours max for the round-trip from the bus station in Finisterre to the lighthouse including time for reflection
This is one of the services that I will be offering in my "new venture". I would like to set up buses that go directly out, maybe stopping in Muros which is a very nice coastal village.

I was thinking that I might set up 1 or 2 buses per week to start and see how it goes. All leaving after the pilgrims mass (about 13.00 or 13.30). Heading back to Santiago after seeing the sun set in the Atlantic.

More details later.

Saludos,
Ivar
 

KiwiNomad06

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Le Puy-Santiago(2008) Cluny-Conques+prt CF(2012)
#10
I took a bus to Finisterre. I left about 9am and we took a 'scenic route' which I quite enjoyed, but it took two and a half hours to get there. The bus back took a less scenic route, and did stop at every place along the way, and arrived back in Santiago at a 'rush hour', after a journey of more than three hours.
There was an alternative offered at the albergue in Monte de Gozo where you could share a direct taxi, and it was a lot quicker. It relied though each day on having I think four people put their name on the list- then it cost about the same as the bus.
Margaret
 
#12
Re: Re:

ivar said:
spursfan said:
It's certainly possible to get to Finisterre and back in a day from Santiago - but, as others have said, the bus is not a direct non-stop and that's why there is a certain vagueness about how long it takes - my bus was quick on the roads but then stopped at a cafe about half way with more minor detours along the way for villages and, on the way back, a change of coach - so count on 2.5 hours each way for the bus and say 1.5 hours max for the round-trip from the bus station in Finisterre to the lighthouse including time for reflection
This is one of the services that I will be offering in my "new venture". I would like to set up buses that go directly out, maybe stopping in Muros which is a very nice coastal village.

I was thinking that I might set up 1 or 2 buses per week to start and see how it goes. All leaving after the pilgrims mass (about 13.00 or 13.30). Heading back to Santiago after seeing the sun set in the Atlantic.

More details later.

Saludos,
Ivar
Hello Ivar,
What a wonderful idea! We are just discussing if we should take the bus to Santiago after walking to Burgos, spend 2 days going to tne mass and hopefully getting to Finisterre, before we take the bus to Bilbao. Do you think you might have buses set up by then, we would probably be in Santiago july 20-21?
 

sillydoll

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
2002 CF: 2004 from Paris: 2006 VF: 2007 CF: 2009 Aragones, Ingles, Finisterre: 2011 X 2 on CF: 2013 'Caracoles': 2014 CF and Ingles 'Caracoles":2015 Logrono-Burgos (Hospitalero San Anton): 2016 La Douay to Aosta/San Gimignano to Rome:
#13
If you do want the bus timetables here they are:
 

Attachments

#14
sillydoll said:
If you do want the bus timetables here they are:
Thank you so much Sil, for the information here and in my other thread, it's amazing how much help you manage to give us "pilgrim wannabes", your name comes up with helpful advice in threads all over this forum! :D
 

grayland

Moderator
Staff member
Camino(s) past & future
Yes
#15
I would like to walk to Finisterre and take the bus back due to time constraints.
I will need to get to Lisbon to get a flight out and don't want to cut myself short. I had not planned Finisterre but would like to add it.

What is the normal, reasonable walking time to Finisterre?
 

skilsaw

Veteran Member
#16
The most common I believe is 3 days , But it can be 4,
21.3 km - Santiago to Negreira
32.0 km - Negreira to Olveiroa
28.0 km - Olveiroa to Finisterre

some 4 day options are copied below from a post by Sil.

David, Victoria, Canada.


21.3km Santiago to Negreira
11.5km Negreira to Villaserio (Hostel in old school)
20.5km Villaserio to Olveiroa
or:
19.5km Negreira to Moranas/Santa Mariña (New 10 bed hostel)
12.5km Moranas/Santa Mariña to Olveiroa
19.5km Olveiroa to Corcubion
8.5km Olveiroa to Finisterre
or:
28km Olveiroa to Finisterre

I think I would like to do:

21.3km Santiago to Negreira
19.5km Negreira to Moranas/Santa Mariña
12.5km Moranas/Santa Mariña to Olveiroa
28km Olveiroa to Finisterre
 

sillydoll

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
2002 CF: 2004 from Paris: 2006 VF: 2007 CF: 2009 Aragones, Ingles, Finisterre: 2011 X 2 on CF: 2013 'Caracoles': 2014 CF and Ingles 'Caracoles":2015 Logrono-Burgos (Hospitalero San Anton): 2016 La Douay to Aosta/San Gimignano to Rome:
#18
I think its €17.40 return.
 

OLDER threads on this topic



A few items available from the Camino Forum Store



Pilgrims here right now

Advertisement

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

  • January

    Votes: 8 1.1%
  • February

    Votes: 4 0.6%
  • March

    Votes: 32 4.6%
  • April

    Votes: 106 15.1%
  • May

    Votes: 172 24.5%
  • June

    Votes: 51 7.3%
  • July

    Votes: 14 2.0%
  • August

    Votes: 10 1.4%
  • September

    Votes: 205 29.2%
  • October

    Votes: 86 12.2%
  • November

    Votes: 10 1.4%
  • December

    Votes: 5 0.7%
Top