• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Busses to Finisterre

kathygpilgrim

Santiago to Fiisterre bus routes

Hola,

on another list serve, questions have been asked about the bus company that services the route from Santiao to Finisterre. When I took it years ago, it doubled as a school bus in the afternoons and ran fairly regularly but stopped at every small town.

Can you give information on that?

thanks,
Kathy Gower

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Kathy,

I just called the busstation and they told me the following:

Weekdays:
- 7 busses (doing a round trip)
- First one leaves Santiago at 8.00, last one returns from Finisterre at 16.30

Saturdays:
- 3 busses (doing a round trip)
- First one leaves Santiago at 8.00, last one returns from Finisterre at 15.00

Sundays:
- First one leaves Santiago at 8.00, last one returns from Finisterre at 18.00

It is the buscompany "Arriva" that has this service, contact info below. I don't think they have a webpage.

Arriva
Estación de autobuses
Tel: 981 588 511

Ivar

busses Finisterre to Madrid

Thanks, Ivar...

now the inquiry is on busses between Madrid and Finisterre. I imagine one has to go through Santiago...is this correct?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Yes, this is correct.

For busses between Santiago and Madrid, see http://www.alsa.es

Note that there are two routes. One goes the "interstate" all the way down (faster). One visits "all" the pueblos in Galicia before going on the interstate (more slow). I think you can distinguish the two by traveling time but also by seeing the schedule for each individual departure (it lists a short itinerary).

It looks like there is about a one hour difference in travel time.

I hope this helps,
Ivar

The bus station is a bit out of the centre of Santiago.
To get bus information in the centre of Santiago, you can go to the tourist information desk. It is marked on every map you will find there.
They gave me a small card with all hours for Arriva busses to Finisterre and back.

Dear Ivar

Is this still in operation as I wd like to take the bus from Santiago and return the same day.
Many thanks

ivar said:
Hi Kathy,

I just called the busstation and they told me the following:

Weekdays:
- 7 busses (doing a round trip)
- First one leaves Santiago at 8.00, last one returns from Finisterre at 16.30

Saturdays:
- First one leaves Santiago at 8.00, last one returns from Finisterre at 15.00

Sundays:
- First one leaves Santiago at 8.00, last one returns from Finisterre at 18.00

It is the buscompany "Arriva" that has this service, contact info below. I don't think they have a webpage.

Arriva
Estación de autobuses
Tel: 981 588 511

Ivar

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
It's certainly possible to get to Finnisterre and back in a day from Santiago - but, as others have said, the bus is not a direct non-stop and that's why there is a certain vagueness about how long it takes - my bus was quick on the roads but then stopped at a cafe about half way with more minor detours along the way for villages and, on the way back, a change of coach - so count on 2.5 hours each way for the bus and say 1.5 hours max for the round-trip from the bus station in Finnisterre to the lighthouse including time for reflection

Re:

spursfan said:
It's certainly possible to get to Finisterre and back in a day from Santiago - but, as others have said, the bus is not a direct non-stop and that's why there is a certain vagueness about how long it takes - my bus was quick on the roads but then stopped at a cafe about half way with more minor detours along the way for villages and, on the way back, a change of coach - so count on 2.5 hours each way for the bus and say 1.5 hours max for the round-trip from the bus station in Finisterre to the lighthouse including time for reflection
This is one of the services that I will be offering in my "new venture". I would like to set up buses that go directly out, maybe stopping in Muros which is a very nice coastal village.

I was thinking that I might set up 1 or 2 buses per week to start and see how it goes. All leaving after the pilgrims mass (about 13.00 or 13.30). Heading back to Santiago after seeing the sun set in the Atlantic.

More details later.

Saludos,
Ivar

I took a bus to Finisterre. I left about 9am and we took a 'scenic route' which I quite enjoyed, but it took two and a half hours to get there. The bus back took a less scenic route, and did stop at every place along the way, and arrived back in Santiago at a 'rush hour', after a journey of more than three hours.
There was an alternative offered at the albergue in Monte de Gozo where you could share a direct taxi, and it was a lot quicker. It relied though each day on having I think four people put their name on the list- then it cost about the same as the bus.
Margaret

Re: Re:

ivar said:
spursfan said:
It's certainly possible to get to Finisterre and back in a day from Santiago - but, as others have said, the bus is not a direct non-stop and that's why there is a certain vagueness about how long it takes - my bus was quick on the roads but then stopped at a cafe about half way with more minor detours along the way for villages and, on the way back, a change of coach - so count on 2.5 hours each way for the bus and say 1.5 hours max for the round-trip from the bus station in Finisterre to the lighthouse including time for reflection
This is one of the services that I will be offering in my "new venture". I would like to set up buses that go directly out, maybe stopping in Muros which is a very nice coastal village.

I was thinking that I might set up 1 or 2 buses per week to start and see how it goes. All leaving after the pilgrims mass (about 13.00 or 13.30). Heading back to Santiago after seeing the sun set in the Atlantic.

More details later.

Saludos,
Ivar

Hello Ivar,
What a wonderful idea! We are just discussing if we should take the bus to Santiago after walking to Burgos, spend 2 days going to tne mass and hopefully getting to Finisterre, before we take the bus to Bilbao. Do you think you might have buses set up by then, we would probably be in Santiago july 20-21?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
If you do want the bus timetables here they are:

Attachments

• Santiago to Fistera HORARIOS BUSES.doc
    283 KB · Views: 985
sillydoll said:
If you do want the bus timetables here they are:

Thank you so much Sil, for the information here and in my other thread, it's amazing how much help you manage to give us "pilgrim wannabes", your name comes up with helpful advice in threads all over this forum! :D

I would like to walk to Finisterre and take the bus back due to time constraints.
I will need to get to Lisbon to get a flight out and don't want to cut myself short. I had not planned Finisterre but would like to add it.

What is the normal, reasonable walking time to Finisterre?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The most common I believe is 3 days , But it can be 4,
21.3 km - Santiago to Negreira
32.0 km - Negreira to Olveiroa
28.0 km - Olveiroa to Finisterre

some 4 day options are copied below from a post by Sil.

David, Victoria, Canada.

21.3km Santiago to Negreira
11.5km Negreira to Villaserio (Hostel in old school)
20.5km Villaserio to Olveiroa
or:
19.5km Negreira to Moranas/Santa Mariña (New 10 bed hostel)
12.5km Moranas/Santa Mariña to Olveiroa
19.5km Olveiroa to Corcubion
8.5km Olveiroa to Finisterre
or:
28km Olveiroa to Finisterre

I think I would like to do:

21.3km Santiago to Negreira
19.5km Negreira to Moranas/Santa Mariña
12.5km Moranas/Santa Mariña to Olveiroa
28km Olveiroa to Finisterre

I think its €17.40 return.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

My husband and I would like to spend a night in Muxia after walking to Santiago but don’t have time to walk there. Rome to Rio says there’s busses twice daily, but if you go to the Monbus website...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back