• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bussing it into Leon

Gareth Griffith

Time of past OR future Camino
SJPdP to Santiago de Compestela in May(2016)
On page 175 of the Brierley guide John makes the case for getting a bus from Mansilla de las Mullas. Having caught the bus today(aSunday) I can fully endorse his recommendation purely on safety grounds. The Camino becomes a metre wide part of a very busy road with only a painted line on the highway separating you from the oncoming traffic. The views are of industrial outlets. The 1.65 euro fare could save your life. Be aware that on Sunday's the buses in the afternoon are at 17:50(which didn't arrive) and 18:05.
I fully intended to walk every step of the way from SJPdP to SdC but my thought is that my, and your safety, should come first. The bus station is easy to find, just follow the blue arrows marked with "bus"

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
We are considering busing that part as well, for the reasons you mentioned. We are starting in Burgos and so Leon will be about a week into our Camino. I'm thinking that Leon will make a nice place to have a rest day anyway and to treat ourselves to an actual hotel room - so if we bus in (as long as its not on Sunday so we can go earlier :) ), then we can have most of a day to hang out.

I have to disagree. I walked that road in 2014 and (a) there was, in my opinion, sufficient space at either side to make it perfectly safe and (b) the road was not at all busy.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
If you plan to stay in an albergue, walk!
If you have booked a room, walk, take a bus, train, taxi or whatever you want. I prefer to take a bus into Leon or Burgos and will book a room.

This is a topic that eventually even those of us that walked every step to the ocean, eventually have to admit do what makes you happy!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
If you plan to stay in an albergue, walk!
If you have booked a room, walk, take a bus, train, taxi or whatever you want. I prefer to take a bus into Leon or Burgos and will book a room.

That's my thinking too. Leave the alberque beds to the people who made the long slog into the city - they "earned" it. Those taking an alternate mode of transportation should get a hotel room. Of course, there are exceptions. People who take transport because they are sick or injured get a pass and can stay wherever they choose :)

I walked it in 2014 and it was really no problem.

In fact, I'd go as far as to say it was not the worst walking of the Camino - I can think of a couple of sections that I personally found less agreeable.

That's my thinking too. Leave the alberque beds to the people who made the long slog into the city - they "earned" it. Those taking an alternate mode of transportation should get a hotel room. Of course, there are exceptions. People who take transport because they are sick or injured get a pass and can stay wherever they choose :)

Wish there would be a triple like button on the forum!!! Buen Camino, SY

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I took the bus in 2011 (mostly because of the advice in the Brierley guide) and walked in 2014. I wonder when John Brierley last walked it?

It's fine to walk and I did not feel it was dangerous. I think there have been some improvements in recent years.

buen camino

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Brierley's 2011 guide doesn't recommend a bus ride. He 'Brierleys' a bit about the proximity of the N-601 but even then comments that 55% of the trek is on paths/tracks, 20% on quiet roads, leaving the rest on main roads but hey guys you are walking into a city and that 20% is the last 5k to the cathedral. While some of the route may track the N-601 it is on parralel senda. I do not recall, from 2012, ever feeling in danger only that I was in a city and ought to pay attention.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Brierley's 2011 guide doesn't recommend a bus ride. He 'Brierleys' a bit about the proximity of the N-601 but even then comments that 55% of the trek is on paths/tracks, 20% on quiet roads, leaving the rest on main roads but hey guys you are walking into a city and that 20% is the last 5k to the cathedral. While some of the route may track the N-601 it is on parralel senda. I do not recall, from 2012, ever feeling in danger only that I was in a city and ought to pay attention.

He does say "a notoriously dangerous stretch with presently no option but to brave the fast moving traffic"!

I'm sure the stretch he was referring to has been improved. In the previous section he does go on about the 'ego and its obsessive behavioural patterns' regarding the commitment of pilgrims to walk every step of the way.

I must admit those things did influence my decision but I don't regret it. It's all experience!!

buen camino

okay, here is my story of trying to take a bus from Mansilla de las Mullas to Leon in 2013.
As Dave what’s-his-face Barry would say, I am not making this up. It all started out innocently with me going to the bus station at about 8 am. I followed one sign but there was no bus station. I saw a building that was a home for seniors. I walked into it and saw a group of 3 nicely-dressed seniors sitting and chatting and I asked them where the bus station was. It shortly became clear to me that this group didn’t even know their names, or where they were, much less where the bus station was. So, I went to leave, but the doors were locked. I saw a sign for visiting hours that started at 10:00 am and that was 2 hours later. No one else in sight. Locked up in an Alzheimers Ward in Spain and can't get out. Eventually, I found a janitor on the second or third floor who was quite shocked to see me! But after laughing for a full 5 minutes, he let me out. Only on the Camino....

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
okay, here is my story of trying to take a bus from Mansilla de las Mullas to Leon in 2013.
As Dave what’s-his-face Barry would say, I am not making this up. It all started out innocently with me going to the bus station at about 8 am. I followed one sign but there was no bus station. I saw a building that was a home for seniors. I walked into it and saw a group of 3 nicely-dressed seniors sitting and chatting and I asked them where the bus station was. It shortly became clear to me that this group didn’t even know their names, or where they were, much less where the bus station was. So, I went to leave, but the doors were locked. I saw a sign for visiting hours that started at 10:00 am and that was 2 hours later. No one else in sight. Locked up in an Alzheimers Ward in Spain and can't get out. Eventually, I found a janitor on the second or third floor who was quite shocked to see me! But after laughing for a full 5 minutes, he let me out. Only on the Camino....

Hilarious!

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.