• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Busy Albergues?

lckgj

Not quite "live" from the camino - I got back yesterday after walking the Camino Frances from Villafranca del Bierzo - Fisterra.

Before I left I read on this forum some worries about how busy the albergues were and how there was a "race for beds" and thought it might be helpful to give an update on the situation.

There are certainly some problems with overcrowding, especially in Galicia where sleeping on the floor is no longer permitted. I arrived at some albergues at 5pm and still got a bed and at others at 1.30pm and found they were "completo". The worst section was on the Camino Fisterra, especially at Negreira where the albergue had provided tents as overflow accomodation (the exceptionally wet weather meant this option was a very cold and damp experience for some) and at Oliveiroa where the queue for the 30 beds was about 60 people long. (I got the last bed but only because two girls in front of me didnt want to be separated) The hospitalera was very patient and tried to help everyone but as for most it had been a 22 mile walk from Negreira and a two hour wait to be turned away there was a lot of frustration on everyones part. There is a new pension in Olveiroa which took some people but for others the only option was a further 10 miles to Cee or a taxi.

The municipal albergues in Galicia charge 3euros and the private ones I stayed in charged 10 euros. A room in a pension was usually about 30 euros for two and if you are on your own there will usually be someone in the same situation willing to share.

To conclude, I would say there is almost always some accomodation and it is really only a problem if you are unwilling, or cant afford, to seek an alternative to the municipal albergues. I certainly spent a lot more money on accomodation this year than I have in the past but that is not to say that it is still not very good value. I understand this could be difficult for students, for example, who are travelling on a very tight budget and unfortunately their only option may be to join the the dreaded race for beds in order to secure a cheap place to sleep.

Whatever you do try not too get too stressed and listen to advice as you go. There are many more accomodation options available than are listed in the guides. I really enjoy staying in the albergues but sometimes a little privacy, plenty of hot water, clean sheets and a snore-free environment was very resorative!

Good luck and buen camino

Laura

A selection of Camino Jewellery
From Roncesvalles to Navarrete there has been no problem getting into municipal albergues for walkers thus far, unless you arrived after 5pm in a few cases. Still plenty of room this end.
Margaret

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back