• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Butterflies in Porto

drawstring

Time of past OR future Camino
Portuguese coastal 2016
I just got my passport here and plan to take the metro tomorrow to Vila do Conde and then up the coast. I feel I haven't done enough prep and I'm anxious about the route, accommodation, loneliness and weather etc. Its my first time doing anything like this. Pack is 6 kg so it should be manageable I think. Fingers crossed!
Alan

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I guess the idea of too many 20+ km days is worrisome too.

Give your body a chance by walking slow and short at the beginning. Listen to your body and rest when needed. It will soon build up to 20km if you take it easy at first. Just walk how you feel. It took me a while to figure out I was walking too fast in the beginning. By the end 30km was ok, but I still preferred 2o! And some days I walked 4km!

Davey

I guess the idea of too many 20+ km days is worrisome too.
So, when you are nearing 20ks done for the day start asking for accommodation, at bars, tourist offices, churches, cafes, where-ever. You'll quickly get over your apprehension at what you first envisage is a bold approach.
Everyone tells us what wonderful helpful folk the Portugese are.
Good travelling.
Gerard

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I am planning to walk Lisbon to Porto and then the coastal route to Santiago in September so I will be following your posts with interest. Please keep us informed. Wishing you all the best and I will keep every step you take in my heart and mind.

The good message is - English is far more widely spoken in Portugal than in Spain. And congratulations to your 6kg backpack! You will do fine and have a Buen Camino, SY

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi drawstring,

I concur with the comments above regarding taking it slow and steady. I did the opposite for the first two days and suffered for it.

Also be aware that the tourist season has not yet started on the Portuguese coast, so make sure you stop for breaks when the opportunity arises and do not assume cafes marked on your map will be open.

I am 5 days ahead of you now (Baiona) so any if you have an questions send me a PM.

Bom Caminho

My daughter and I took the metro to Matinhos to start our walk. It took 11 walking days and we just completed the journey May 2oth. The longest hike was 9 hours, (22 miles) but most were around 7 -8 hours. The computer maps are not accurate on the mileage. It is more like 185-190 miles from Porto to SdC, and not 161 stated by the computer. Be very careful of the traffic, especially in Portugal. I'm 68 with one bad knee, and walking poles really helped, especially going uphill. Buen Camino.

My daughter and I took the metro to Matinhos to start our walk. It took 11 walking days and we just completed the journey May 2oth. The longest hike was 9 hours, (22 miles) but most were around 7 -8 hours. The computer maps are not accurate on the mileage. It is more like 185-190 miles from Porto to SdC, and not 161 stated by the computer. Be very careful of the traffic, especially in Portugal. I'm 68 with one bad knee, and walking poles really helped, especially going uphill. Buen Camino.
Hi, Gary,
I'm going in September, and have one replaced knee and one I need a brace for. I'd heard that the Camino Portugues was much flatter and poles weren't really necessary - sounds like you disagree? I have not had much a problem uphill ever; downhill is the problem but both for weight and not having to deal with checking them, I was going to try it without. Did you happen to notice any poles for sale along the way, in case I find that I really would do better with them?
Kari

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
That section of the Portuguese is quite flat and I never needed my poles. I only used them on the Variante Espiritual.

Short update. I did walk from Porto and met an Australian couple doing their 5th Camino. We are now in A Guarda!
I wouldn't walk this route solo as there are some isolated sections through forests. Carry at least 2 litres of water, I've only seen one tap and there were stretches with few bars or cafes.
The ferry across the Rio Mino doesn't run on Mondays but Mario took us to Spain in a wooden skiff! The scenery is wonderful and quite varied. I will be posting photos and the link in July.

Alan

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi, Gary,
I'm going in September, and have one replaced knee and one I need a brace for. I'd heard that the Camino Portugues was much flatter and poles weren't really necessary - sounds like you disagree? I have not had much a problem uphill ever; downhill is the problem but both for weight and not having to deal with checking them, I was going to try it without. Did you happen to notice any poles for sale along the way, in case I find that I really would do better with them?
Kari
We used poles to keep the weight off our knees. Also, going uphill with poles made a huge difference. I would definitely take poles.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi everyone, I went on a short coastal Camino Portugues in March with my 11 year old son and wanted to share some of my experiences here. We walked a very small part of the Camino. We started...
Hi fellow pilgrims! I have walked 1450km over several years on the Camino Frances alone, without planning much. This year is going to be very different! I have convinced my mom to come with me. I...
Hi, arrived in Porto today starting the coastal camino on Friday! I just found out the hostel I am staying at does not allow pack pick up. Im walking to vila cha 1st day and physically I cannot...
So I’d been given to understand in my pre-Camino research that one could just ask for a copo de agua (glass of water) which is basically tap water on the house. Since arriving in Portugal a few...
I’m seeing a lot of discussion on FB about the route out of Vigo. People are recommending taking a new bike path that starts at the Ascensor Halo and ends at Chapela because the official route is...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back