• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Buy a SIM card and charger in Pamplona

Status
Not open for further replies.
Time of past OR future Camino
Francis SJPDP-SDC (2014, 2015, 2016, 2017) , Norte 2018
Pilgrim Office 2018, Hospitalero Acebo 2019
Once I get to Pamplona, I plan to go to the Orange store and buy a Spainsh SIM card and have them put it in for me as well as buy some minutes etc from them. Will I also be able to buy a IPhone 4S Charger that has the required plug so I do not have to bring my charger and adapter from the US? Thank you and sorry if I changed the thought on this thread a bit but it is close...Ed

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Once I get to Pamplona, I plan to go to the Orange store and buy a Spainsh SIM card and have them put it in for me as well as buy some minutes etc from them. Will I also be able to buy a IPhone 4S Charger that has the required plug so I do not have to bring my charger and adapter from the US?

Hi Ed

Thanks for the heads up on the Orange shop - I will do the same. And hopefully this kind of store also have the adapters we need?

Theresa

Last edited:
Theresa, I would think that we would be able to buy a Spanish charger but just wanted to hear from someone in the know that it is possible...Buen Camino!!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I think you may be complicating a very simple thing.

1. Your Apple charger will work perfectly in Spain and France. It is dual voltage.
2. The "plug adaptor" is simply a small adaptor that fits on your U.S. Blade style plug and allows you to plug into European receptacles.

No power issues. Just a very cheap adaptor available at Amazon, travel stores or Radio Shack. Very cheap. Get a couple in case you leave one behind somewhere.

You can buy the plug adaptor in Spain or you can get them for $1 from the Rick Steves Travel store online.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
If you want to get lavish, apple offers a World Travel Kit of their own adapters that don't take up any space at all--you remove the US plug part of the charger and slide on the relevant one from their world kit. But it's quite expensive--$40 for about $10 worth of plugs.

I think you may be complicating a very simple thing.

1. Your Apple charger will work perfectly in Spain and France. It is dual voltage.
2. The "plug adaptor" is simply a small adaptor that fits on your U.S. Blade style plug and allows you to plug into European receptacles.

No power issues. Just a very cheap adaptor available at Amazon, travel stores or Radio Shack. Very cheap. Get a couple in case you leave one behind somewhere.
I think you are right. Thanks.....Ed

Just to be clear.. I would need an adapter not a converter for my iPhone, Kindle, camera?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Just to be clear.. I would need an adapter not a converter for my iPhone, Kindle, camera?

That is correct. Almost all electronic today are dual voltage and will work virtually anywhere. I have traveled over the world and do not ever take any type of converter.
Some years ago it was necessary....but not today unless you have something that is very old.

The only thing that needs adapting is the end of the plug where it fits in the receptacle.

If still unsure..PM me.

Is it really necessary to get a new orange sim for Spain I know in Italy I could ring the Uk to say I had arrived safely? My neighbours also rang me once from GB over a security issue too, not a problem? Is the Spain Sim to use with Spain's local telephone numbers, is that the reason for it? Otherwise I don't understand why you need one!!

The reason to buy a SIM in Spain is simply cost of calls/SMS (text messages).
Using your local carrier from your own country can be VERY expensive.

If you will not make any local or International calls there is no reason to buy a SIM.
Be careful to turn your phone off and to disable your home SIM to insure that you do not get roaming charges for just turning on the phone and accessing the local system.
Not sure about Spain but other European countries often do this.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The reason to buy a SIM in Spain is simply cost of calls/SMS (text messages).
Using your local carrier from your own country can be VERY expensive.

If you will not make any local or International calls there is no reason to buy a SIM.
Be careful to turn your phone off and to disable your home SIM to insure that you do not get roaming charges for just turning on the phone and accessing the local system.
Not sure about Spain but other European countries often do this.

So grayland ,do you get a new temporary number for your phone Sim whilst in Spain. Also will be for Pay as You Go and Sim free , other wise it would mean a new contract or if not free be blocked wouldn't it ?
I am no expert on this by the way, quite the opposite, just enquiring so when i buy, I know exactly what I am doing and what to ask for.
Thanks for your help

1. When you buy a SIM in Spain or France you will get a local number.

2. There is no contract....you get a SIM and a number of minutes or credit for calls and SMS.

3. There is a big difference in cost of the offers between various companies so you may want to go on line and do some research.

Is it really necessary to get a new orange sim for Spain I know in Italy I could ring the Uk to say I had arrived safely? My neighbours also rang me once from GB over a security issue too, not a problem? Is the Spain Sim to use with Spain's local telephone numbers, is that the reason for it? Otherwise I don't understand why you need one!!

You have an UK phone? If it's just voice and you don't intend to make long calls no need for a new SIM. EU rules now limit voice roaming fees to 30 cents a minute. So even spending €5 for a new SIM can be more expensive then just roaming . Check with your UK phone company what they charge for roaming. It may be less then the EU max price.

OTOH if you're using data then GET a new SIM.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
My brother signed up for the $30 per month international service with AT&T. When he got home after a month, he had a $600 bill.

Don't believe your cell phone company. Their policies are built on lying to you. Get a Spanish SIM chip!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.