• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Buy earplugs if the snoring annoys you...

Viking-on-the-trail

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances (2017)
Frances(2016)
Last night I was awoken by a woman not once but twice because I apparently was snoring. I must admit that I do not like people in my personal space without my permission but especially when I am sleeping. I would never even think about going up and touching another person while sleeping. At least show some respect. If you can't sleep for the snoring BUY earplugs. I do. And I have been woken up by a guy while wearing earplugs because he snored that laud, but I would never consider going over and push him while he slept. Maybe it's just me but it is quite unpleasant to be woken up by a stranger touching you. I almost wet myself as you do not expect someone to touch you in the middle of the night. Sorry had to air my thoughts. Do you think it is okay?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Depends how bad it is. Last year on the Primitivo there was a Spanish man who snored so badly he acquired the nickname El Jabali. Everyone really put themselves out trying to avoid staying in the same albergue as him. I ended up dragging my mattress into the kitchen one night because even with my industrial earplugs I could not stand it any more. He was very rude and unapologetic about it too.

@Viking-on-the-trail : I would never do such a thing! I think it is very rude. Evenmore, when I choose an albergue and communal sleeping I know that I can encounter snorers so I should adapt. So earplugs for me and if I can't stand it : private room.
And depending on the pilgrim/snorer I would try to start a private conversation next day with him if I think there would be a serious problem like sleep apnea.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Last night I was awoken by a woman not once but twice because I apparently was snoring. I must admit that I do not like people in my personal space without my permission but especially when I am sleeping. I would never even think about going up and touching another person while sleeping. At least show some respect. If you can't sleep for the snoring BUY earplugs. I do. And I have been woken up by a guy while wearing earplugs because he snored that laud, but I would never consider going over and push him while he slept. Maybe it's just me but it is quite unpleasant to be woken up by a stranger touching you. I almost wet myself as you do not expect someone to touch you in the middle of the night. Sorry had to air my thoughts. Do you think it is okay?
Nothing wrong about how you feel even if you were the cause of a "problem". I can also be a very loud snorer but sometimes when I warned people they have said I was completely silent. I couldn't know if that was true or they were so tired after tough walking day :)
Anyway I think there are some solutions to the problem:
- ask the hospitalero/a if they have a snorers room/dormitory. Not hard to explain I think but you can use word "roncador/a". Some bigger albergues have them as San Francisco de Asis in Leon or A.de Jesus in Villar de Mazarife,
- on most occasions hospitaleros told me that it's not my problem if I snore and if someone is annoyed with that they should seek other kind of accommodation,
- let fellow pilgrims know about your possible snoring and maybe carry few pairs of ear plugs and give them away,
- make it up the next day for your snoring by buying food or a bottle of wine for communal meal and apologise. That can't be a mistake, never!
- usually I told people on each side of my bed that they have my permission to poke me with my walking poles.

I don't really go mad and furious if someone wake me in the middle of the night (that's hard anyway) but I still think it's rude.

One of my Camino companions who was a VERY loud and consistent snorer brought along a huge bulk packet of foam earplugs and offered them up to nearby people in the albergues.
Even though snoring is involuntary, it is one of the annoyances on the Camino. There is little a snorer can do short of a higher budget with private rooms. And I think it is the responsibility of those bothered by snoring to mitigate (earplugs, iPod, private rooms) rather than wake the snorer. I always travel with good earplugs.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I am not one of those were entire albergues are empty when they see I check in:eek: I have a bit of hay fever so I'm blocked at the moment. Besides the person "on top of me" had no problem.:p However a lot of people snore more than usual because they are so Exhaustioned. I don't normally snore at home:rolleyes: I am told;) but even if I was I just think that it is the last "privacy" you have and I expected people to respect there is a personal line you do not cross unless you have permission from the person. Actually I'm not sure why I am surprised about it anymore. Some people's behavior here are shocking and extremely selfish. I would have loved to experienced the camino just 5 years back. Maybe in 10 years the popularity isn't as big anymore:D but thankfully there is also a lot of lovely people here to enjoy the experience with:)

In an Albergue you are sharing space with lots of people. When you are assigned (or choose) a bunk, that is YOUR space. You should feel safe and secure in that space that no one will touch you or mess with your stuff when you are sleeping. If you fart, snore, talk, cry in your sleep it's nobody's business. They can open a window and put on earplugs and a sleep mask. I usually use my earplugs then pull my buff up over my eyes and ears. Works like a charm, even against those early morning forehead lamps that pierce into your very soul. ugh.

I know exactly how it feels, it happened to me last september too, this psycopath faced tosser kept touching me to wake me up, I was in a situation where I could have easly punched his face, but instead I got up and left the building. Next time I am not sure I might react just like that, when you wake up and find a stranger's face on top of you, any reaction is unpredictable.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
We all come from such different backgrounds & cultures that it's hard to generalize, or know what is & isn't appropriate. For my part, if I'm snoring all it takes is a small nudge & I roll over and stop. I'm fine with that, and I'd much rather have a stranger nudge me (or whack me with a pillow, whatever it takes) than be that guy that everyone in the albergue is talking about the next morning.

It's hard to judge others' personal space. I tend to be more conservative when I'm in new areas, and I can see how it would shock someone if their space was violated like this. However, I'm not sure the other person's behavior was 'extremely selfish.' I've done my fair share of communal living, and out here this would be perfectly normal.

A couple of comments on this subject:
  1. Earplugs are uncomfortable and not too effective for some people.
  2. I've encountered several people (mainly women, as it happens) who have been very unpleasant in their preoccupation with who is snoring, who was snoring, who might snore, who farts, who they want to avoid, etc. Don't be one of those people.
  3. If you are sleeping in communal accommodation, you should expect to hear snoring. If you cannot tolerate it, you'll have to find another place to sleep.
  4. If you get to know someone who tends to snore when they roll on their back, you might ask if it is OK to give him/her a nudge when that happens during the night.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
This sounds really selfish to me. So you are entitled to your sleep, but the other people in the room not? You are actually the problem, so if I were you, I would be a bit more humble about it. I do not snore, but if I did, I would thank people for pushing me. We all need our sleep. I am going on my first camino in a week, and if I do something that annoys people, I hope they tell me right away so I can change it. You should start being part of the solution, not only the problem.
The thing is, that it's very difficult for someone who snores to not do it. I'm sure that the OP isn't happy about snoring, but it is what it is. I also think that it's difficult for someone to say with certainty that they do not snore.

This sounds really selfish to me. So you are entitled to your sleep, but the other people in the room not? You are actually the problem, so if I were you, I would be a bit more humble about it. I do not snore, but if I did, I would thank people for pushing me. We all need our sleep. I am going on my first camino in a week, and if I do something that annoys people, I hope they tell me right away so I can change it. You should start being part of the solution, not only the problem.
Well, snoring isn't intentional behavior. Apart from letting fellow pilgrims know about it and sincere apology next day there's not much I/you/he/she can do about it. I mentioned other ways in my previous post. But getting physically into my personal space (if I don't allow it previously) just isn't the way to solve anything. It would just steer up more embarrassment and/or anger.

And as have been mentioned many times before in similar threads, that's the tax you have to pay for communal living. I was very embarrassed every time I snored but I also noticed that some persons that were most annoyed with my snoring they snored themselves not knowing that at all. I never did mentioned that. Because it's communal living.

What about farting, belching, sweaty boots etc. and therefore stall air in the dormitories??? Better decide right now where you are going to stay on your Camino or you'll be greatly dissappointed ;)

Keep calm and just walk, eat, drink, sleep, repeat...

I told people on each side of my bed that they have my permission to poke me with my walking poles
:D

People who snore should try to sleep on their side, that solves it in most cases.
Audible farting and belching and doing that horrible throat clearing and spitting in the bathroom is not excusable.
Yes we are in communal space does not mean we have to behave like animals in a barnyard.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
People who snore should try to sleep on their side, that solves it in most cases.
Audible farting and belching and doing that horrible throat clearing and spitting in the bathroom is not excusable.
Yes we are in communal space does not mean we have to behave like animals in a barnyard.
When you're asleep you have to wake up first to turn on the side ;)

OK, belching maybe is intentional although I believe we all do this but try not to be heard :)
But farting isn't something a human (or animal) can control while sleeping. I was awake many nights not only on Caminos and have been witness to some very funny voices :D

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

What will be the next?

We are humans and that's how our bodies work. If you (you or me or anyone else) don't like it, try to avoid it instead of trying to change it.

El Camino provides lots of experiences, some good, some bad, let's try to learn and enjoy. Or let's stay at home where everything's the way we like.

When we had a room for four one of the guys fell asleep almost as soon as we turned the light off and roared
into a snoring fest. We gave him a little nudge and said turn on your side mate. He did and the snoring ceased.
He was fine with it in the morning. Mainly because he knew all of us. Had he not I guess his reaction would
have been different.

I'm trying to understand why people think snoring is something to be apologising for ? Bag rustling, light flashing,
phones beeping, speaking in a loud and irritating voice, clipping your nails and letting the bits fly all over the place.
Fine. Snoring ? Never.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I don't always snore, but occasionally I do. According to my SnoreLab app, I not infrequently hit 'epic' proportions; this can occur whether I'm sleeping on my back, side, front, and probably if I'm upside down too. I do not have sleep apnea. I'm so concerned about my snoring - and embarrassed - that I've all but given up any hope I have of ever doing an hospitalera stint on the Camino. However, as @MichaelC said above, I'd rather have a stranger nudge me than be that woman that everyone in the albergue is talking about next morning.

I was once travelling on a long distance bus, and I had a vivid dream about pigs. I woke up to find that the noise in my dream was actually me snoring :( So I am always very careful to sleep on my side now, and if I share a private room, I will tell the person - "If I snore, tell me to roll on my side". I will also ask in the morning if I snored and apologise if I did. I do think people who know they snore loudly but are heavy sleepers need to have a bit of consideration for others.

The El Jabali I was describing was so bad he made me absolutely baffled as to how he did not wake himself up. I even recorded him on my phone, because I thought people just wouldn't believe it. It did provide some innocent amusement later on. 'Recordings' is the same word as 'memories' / 'souvenirs' in Spanish, so I got some mileage out of asking people if they would like to hear my 'recuerdo' of the Camino.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I don't always snore, but occasionally I do. According to my SnoreLab app, I not infrequently hit 'epic' proportions; this can occur whether I'm sleeping on my back, side, front, and probably if I'm upside down too. I do not have sleep apnea. I'm so concerned about my snoring - and embarrassed - that I've all but given up any hope I have of ever doing an hospitalera stint on the Camino. However, as @MichaelC said above, I'd rather have a stranger nudge me than be that woman that everyone in the albergue is talking about next morning.
1514ccd84459e3ceba25b897ab328dd0.jpg.png

:rolleyes: There are plenty of things that will potentially annoy on the camino especially when sharing accommodation with others. Thats part of the camino learning ..... patience , tolerance, forgiveness, understanding and even turning a blind eye to the behaviour of others,
developing humour , walking away from some situations.

I found it difficult because I like to get up early but others complained they wanted to sleep in . I was as quiet as possible but others mentioned every slight noise . I tried not to offend but ignored the offence created by others or at least keep it to myself AND sometimes I just got a room ;) .... I am mortified if I annoy others for any reason but I always ignore others annoyances ... just how I roll..

Ultreia

In an Albergue you are sharing space with lots of people. When you are assigned (or choose) a bunk, that is YOUR space. You should feel safe and secure in that space that no one will touch you or mess with your stuff when you are sleeping. If you fart, snore, talk, cry in your sleep it's nobody's business. They can open a window and put on earplugs and a sleep mask. I usually use my earplugs then pull my buff up over my eyes and ears. Works like a charm, even against those early morning forehead lamps that pierce into your very soul. ugh.

What's a "buff"?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
:) After reading through this thread, it reinforces why my 2.8 pounds of sleeping gear includes my tent! :p
I camped all my childhood. The countryside here is the noisiest place ever. Always baffled me why people thought cockerels crowed at sunrise. No! They make that noise 24/7! And sheep. Never ever do they shut up. Crows and rooks, don't even get me started. If you don't want corvids, what about a noisy bird scaring machine? Seagulls, tractors, balers, pumps, milking machines. Trail bikes, vintage aircraft. Firing ranges, motorways. I worked in Scotland a couple of years ago, and we were plagued by the helicopters off the North Sea rigs. Go back to town for some shut-eye.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I camped all my childhood. The countryside here is the noisiest place ever. Always baffled me why people thought cockerels crowed at sunrise. No! They make that noise 24/7! And sheep. Never ever do they shut up. Crows and rooks, don't even get me started. If you don't want corvids, what about a noisy bird scaring machine? Seagulls, tractors, balers, pumps, milking machines. Trail bikes, vintage aircraft. Firing ranges, motorways. I worked in Scotland a couple of years ago, and we were plagued by the helicopters off the North Sea rigs. Go back to town for some shut-eye.

LOL :):) That reminds me of when my Dustoff aircraft (UH-1H Huey) was temporarily assigned (TDY) from Schweinfurt to Mittenwald, Germany in order to provide emergency medical coverage for US and German mountain infantry units during mountaineering training.

We parked our helicopter in a small valley, near the training hut and camp, which was at an elevation of about 9,000 ft (2988 meters). The first night, I rolled out my ground cloth and sleeping bag near the helicopter and promptly fell asleep. I woke the next morning to the loud sounds of "Baaaaah, baaaah... tinkle, tinkle, tinkle". I sat up in my bag, completely surrounded by sheep which were going about their business grazing in that high mountain meadow. Between their stink, their bleating, and the tinkling symphony of their bells, there was no going back to sleep.

Lesson: Like you, I have learned that, even in the wild, bring and use earplugs. :D

No, I wouldn't wake you up to tell you that you are snoring. It never occurred to me to wake a snorer up in an albergue. But I can just roll over and go back to sleep easily if for some reason I do wake up.

I did give my son permission to wake me up if I was snoring so that I would turn over and stop. (I snore when sleeping on my back.) But obviously, he's not a stranger.

Also, I would never touch a stranger while he's asleep. My father fought on the front in WWII and sometimes if woken suddenly he would hit out. My mother told me that he had bad dreams sometimes, and that I should always just call him to wake him up from 5 or 6 ft away. I figure that's the right approach with everyone.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Ha , if you think the sounds of sheep and roosters are annoying spend some time in the Australian bush .
Galahs and Cockatoos , apart from bursting an ear drum or two they will cheerfully bite your fingers off if you fall for their ' I'm so cute , ruffle my feathers ' trick .
Possums , these have evolved, and now as well as P!$$!ng all over your tent and other gear are able to open any pack using their specially developed YKK zipper claw . This also doubles as a handy rapier for disemboweling unwary bushwalkers relieving themselves in the dark .
Wombats , grumpy smelly and with no manners whatsoever , they will bulldoze through the sides of your tent crapping all the way just to show you you are not welcome .
Koalas , these devious creatures have developed many ' attack ' modes , wee , poo and grunting are just the tip of this ' unbearable ' creature's efforts . The worst is the cry of their young , this unnerving call is exactly like that of a human baby , forget snoring , just try to sleep with the thought of a baby abandoned in the bush crying for its mother , and in pain ! go on then .
Goannas , adept at finding the smallest gap at the end of a zipper , nose in , then all hell breaks loose as it hisses and claws its way into your sleeping bag looking for prey !
The worst by far though , that bloody Owl thing ! at least that's what we call it . The ' Screaming Woman or Strangled Woman Owl ' , it sounds just like what you would expect . Alone at the farm one night , armed with a spotlight and the shotgun I went in search of the ' Lowlife animal ' who would dare do this to a fellow human being on my patch of the earth . Imagine my embarrassment on being told the ' Rapist ' I had been chasing was in fact a Female flying feathered thing calling for a mate . o_O

I've purposely left out snakes, Funnel web spiders and crocodiles , these will only kill you rather than disturb your sleep .

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Worst night noise ever - sleeping in a tent without even the flysheet in an unfenced camp ground in Namibia, woke and heard a tremendous loud roaring. Thought it was a lion. No: elephants' stomachs rumbling as they slept all around. Apparently they 'don't bother people in tents'.

Ha , if you think the sounds of sheep and roosters are annoying spend some time in the Australian bush .
Galahs and Cockatoos , apart from bursting an ear drum or two they will cheerfully bite your fingers off if you fall for their ' I'm so cute , ruffle my feathers ' trick .
Possums , these have evolved, and now as well as P!$$!ng all over your tent and other gear are able to open any pack using their specially developed YKK zipper claw . This also doubles as a handy rapier for disemboweling unwary bushwalkers relieving themselves in the dark .
Wombats , grumpy smelly and with no manners whatsoever , they will bulldoze through the sides of your tent crapping all the way just to show you you are not welcome .
Koalas , these devious creatures have developed many ' attack ' modes , wee , poo and grunting are just the tip of this ' unbearable ' creature's efforts . The worst is the cry of their young , this unnerving call is exactly like that of a human baby , forget snoring , just try to sleep with the thought of a baby abandoned in the bush crying for its mother , and in pain ! go on then .
Goannas , adept at finding the smallest gap at the end of a zipper , nose in , then all hell breaks loose as it hisses and claws its way into your sleeping bag looking for prey !
The worst by far though , that bloody Owl thing ! at least that's what we call it . The ' Screaming Woman or Strangled Woman Owl ' , it sounds just like what you would expect . Alone at the farm one night , armed with a spotlight and the shotgun I went in search of the ' Lowlife animal ' who would dare do this to a fellow human being on my patch of the earth . Imagine my embarrassment on being told the ' Rapist ' I had been chasing was in fact a Female flying feathered thing calling for a mate . o_O

I've purposely left out snakes, Funnel web spiders and crocodiles , these will only kill you rather than disturb your sleep .
:p:p And was someone complaining about being woken by a gentle touch on the shoulder?? :eek::p

As many have graciously said, when you are in a communal living situation, you are going to hear bathroom doors, farting, snoring, belching, and giggling. Yes, the younger pilgrims will sneak in as late as they can and giggle, and wake others up too.

We are all part of the problem, part of that group of people called humanity.

Here's my snoring story: I was sleeping one night, and this Spanish guy came into the dormitory. He unpacked his backpack, then repacked it all, rustling and rustling and et cetera. He capped and uncapped, filled water, then undressed, and got in his bed. Every person around me was sighing, rolling over, getting annoyed.

About an hour later, he was on the floor and had his arm around my shoulders, waking me up, "Madam, you are making a small noise, and you are waking me up".

The following morning, I had a big talk with him about how he had woken all of us up, and he had no right to come calling at my bedside--although I rolled over like a good person, at the [ed. for spelling] time.

Often, those who are the most indignant are also offenders, and none of us should get too self-righteous about our "silent" sleeping habits. I sleep in pensiones about half the time, so as not to offend people with my occasional snoring. I will add that many people who complained about others snoring were snoring themselves. When you're asleep, you don't always know what you're doing!

Buen Camino.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

LOL!!! I am a parrot-owned hooman, but my parrot is the smallest species, a Parrotlet. The sub-species I am owned by is a Green-rumped (Grump). He is related to the Amazon species of parrot, but in a tiny body. However, the personality is just as big as their much larger cousins. :) Here's a YouTube video from the aviary that I got my Grump at:

I've been around Cockatoos, and there is a reason that they are nicknamed Cocka-squeals. They can be loud!!!. Additionally, the Goffin's Cockatoo, and some of the other subspecies of Cockatoo as well, are nicknamed "velcro birds". As pets, they love to be near their hoomans and held and scritched. They are very affectionate animals.

Last edited by a moderator:
As an aside , if you do find that you have a legitimate need to wake someone in the middle of the night there is a tried and proven way to do so without frightening the soul out of them .
It is mentioned in the novel '' All Quiet On The Western Front '' by Erich Maria Remarque and was used to waken soldiers for watch without startling them. Simply brush the back of the neck gently , for some reason this is not seen as a threat by the subconscious . Mind you it could be misconstrued as an invitation to something else other than waking o_O

I just did the biggest self-edit...;)

I love war literature, and war movies too. There, I avoided my very inappropriate comment, but if any of you touch my neck, there will be trouble! (back to my snoring now)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Somewhere around 50% of the population snores.
If you decide to stay in an Albergue, you signed up to sleep with folks that snore. Simple as that.
For various reasons mentioned above I've decided to stay in private rooms. I've done the communal living thing when in the Navy.
I've had my fill lol

Somewhere around 50% of the population snores.......
For various reasons mentioned above I've decided to stay in private rooms. I've done the communal living thing ........
Don't think that staying in a private room will protect you from a sometimes-epic-snorer in an adjacent room. I know of what I speak.

I just can not believe how this thread is evolving! It started with a snoring man complaining about being waked twice in the night. Now it seems I am to blame with my request to be humble about ones problems. I don't know, but if narsissistic men rule the camino, "I snore loudly, and if you don't like it, go somewhere else, cause I am here, and if you don't sleep, sorry for you, because I did, and that is what matters" And everyone cheering: "she had no right" " I would have hit her" blabla.., My bag is packed, but now my feelings says NO, anyone have a suggestion to go elsewhere?

The OP is a female, Ladybug (check her profile).

No need to be sensitive. This is a social forum, and your ideas--as everyone's--are welcomed.

As an aside , if you do find that you have a legitimate need to wake someone in the middle of the night there is a tried and proven way to do so without frightening the soul out of them .
It is mentioned in the novel '' All Quiet On The Western Front '' by Erich Maria Remarque and was used to waken soldiers for watch without startling them. Simply brush the back of the neck gently , for some reason this is not seen as a threat by the subconscious . Mind you it could be misconstrued as an invitation to something else other than waking o_O
Don't try this in the " alberque "

Years ago, I worked in an animation film studio with a lot of crazy people. Very creative but crazy. One guy used to practice his baritone saxophone every evening (there was really no such thing as "business hours"). He honked a lot, sounded like large braying animals being torn in half, it frequently got pretty annoying, even through many walls/partitions. This was decades before Ebay, so my plan was difficult to execute, but I did try. I tried to find a second-hand set of bagpipes so that one night as he held forth, I could, without warning, join him in an impromptu duet. To give him a taste of what I felt he inflicted on anyone trying to get some work done after the phones stopped ringing for the day. The cheapest bagpipes (if played very badly, the worst sound I can imagine) I could find were $600 - the equivalent of at least double that in today's dollars. I had young children at the time, couldn't justify the expense for a theatrical moment. I snore - through walls and floors, I'm told. I use a Cpap machine out of consideration for others. If I had to put up with someone's snoring, I think I'd be shopping for those bagpipes all over again.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Well this escalated quick:eek: Especially from One person that obviously didn't bother to read what I wrote and my replys all the way through. or decided to intentionally misinterpret what I wrote. What can you do... I can't find the post so don't know if the person deleted them or it's just on my phone I can't see them. But not even sure what to respond to some of the things that where said. Well we can't all get along...

I do agree that there are many things we all can do to make it easier for all of us. I try to be respectful in any other way. As I don't normally snore it is hard to prepare others for it:( but if I could avoid snoring I would be glad :)

It is fun to read that suddenly I am "that woman" everybody talks about because I snore. Even though I actually wrote that the person above me had no issue with my snoring. I talked to her in the morning as I wanted to hear if I had been loud. She said no.
Or that I am sleeping the wrong way. Well I don't know about you but when I sleep I move around. :confused: (I was actually on my side)

But as mentioned it is funny that people can talk loud on the phone on the speaker, pack and repack there backpacks, rustle with their plstic backs, use an alarm etc. No one says anything to that but is annoyed by it but when someone snores.... The one thing you actually can't help. Apparently it's a different matter completely. o_O

Viking , the woman who poked at you is probably the same sort of person that will sit behind you in traffic honking and shaking her / his fist ; intolerant and in haste .

You are probably right.o_O

The OP wasn't whining, he was snoring.
Thanks, it wasn't meant as whining at least. o_O Am a bit shocked that the person read it as such.

I know exactly how it feels, it happened to me last september too, this psycopath faced tosser kept touching me to wake me up, I was in a situation where I could have easly punched his face, but instead I got up and left the building. Next time I am not sure I might react just like that, when you wake up and find a stranger's face on top of you, any reaction is unpredictable.
Sorry you had to experience that. Yes I must admit especially when you are sleeping you don't know how you will react.

We all come from such different backgrounds & cultures that it's hard to generalize, or know what is & isn't appropriate. For my part, if I'm snoring all it takes is a small nudge & I roll over and stop. I'm fine with that, and I'd much rather have a stranger nudge me (or whack me with a pillow, whatever it takes) than be that guy that everyone in the albergue is talking about the next morning.

It's hard to judge others' personal space. I tend to be more conservative when I'm in new areas, and I can see how it would shock someone if their space was violated like this. However, I'm not sure the other person's behavior was 'extremely selfish.' I've done my fair share of communal living, and out here this would be perfectly normal.
I agree with the different backgrounds and no I definitely don't want to be "that person" I am not. I know for a fact.
I wasn't referring to the "extremely selfish" to the one who poked me. But it was in general that there are some on the camino who behave very selfish. Like sitting in a tiny Albergue for over an hour on the phone with the speaker on "entertaining" the rest of he Albergue with their conversation. Situations like that.

Thankfully it is the minority who is like that.

I hope I have answered somewhat all. But there were many replys and it's hard to scroll up and down on a tiny phone :D

Well I will get on with my Camino:oops:

Ultreia :cool:

No one says anything to that but is annoyed by it but when someone snores.... The one thing you actually can't help. Apparently it's a different matter completely. o_O

:D All you can do is laugh at the absurdity of it all ... that is the gift Camino shoves in our faces ....
people travel to spend nights with MANY others in same room AND think they are going to get good nights sleep ...:D:p.... how silly !.... El Camino at work saying ... GET OVER YOURSELVES ... :cool:

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Last night I was awoken by a woman not once but twice because I apparently was snoring.

Awful -- in my experience though, the people who have complained loudest about snoring have tended to be champion snorers themselves !!

The far more sensible response to snoring is to just roll over and go back to sleep ...

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I have grown accustomed to the noise, it is like a bear cave...
I have only once intervened in sb´s snoring when once in Leon in the dorm next to the noisy square, we had all more or less fallen to sleep as the din outside subsided. The bunk bed just square to me, on top this Italian bicycle team member, a tiny man , started a vey loud snore.
In a flash inspiration, I jumped out of my sack, took a firm hold of the corner bedpost and shook fast and heavy six times. This is what we used to do amongst brothers or boy scouts or whatever...I did t know came over me...
In case anybody had noticed it, I had to take it up with the man the next morning. Asked him if his wife often complained to him about his snoring. Oh yes !. - because I had to shake your bed last night and you very obediently stopped ! You must listen a lot to what your wife says!! We all giggled, especially from the team, they were all a jolly lot...

No, I don't think that it's okay to wake up a stranger by touching them. Everyone has to accept that there will be noise in a communal sleeping area and everyone should use ear plugs as needed. I know that it's unpleasant to be kept awake by others, I also know that most people cannot help their snoring. I sometimes snore myself, depending on my state of health, congestion, hay fever etc, other times I don't snore at all. I hate to keep anyone from sleeping however I still don't think that it's appropriate to wake someone who is snoring.

Viking , the woman who poked at you is probably the same sort of person that will sit behind you in traffic honking and shaking her / his fist ; intolerant and in haste .

OR she might be the sort of woman you marry / have married / will marry ... because she is forthright :rolleyes: .... oh and I DEFINATELY do not refer to myself

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Oh, dear, this thread is starting to make me think I should pay for private rooms now rather share in an albergue. :oops: If I go to sleep first, I can usually sleep through anything. But I have a terrible time getting to sleep if others are snoring around me when I go to bed. And I'm a world-class grouch in the morning if I don't get enough sleep, just ask my wife. ;)Time to head to a hotel booking website and plan to ante up more money for private accommodations. :(

This is what custard pies are for! if a stranger woke me up by touching me they would be very lucky to get just a custard pie in the face.
Refugios are exactly what they are - people who cannot cope with that need to go private.

p.s. custard pies are very light so won't add much weight to a backpack. ;)

@StepheninDC try not to rule out options before starting walking as the forum can concentrate posts about negative experiences if that is what the subject of the thread is. I wouldn't have missed staying in albergues, I certainly found my usual need for privacy challenged at the start, but then walking the Camino is challenging - that is what it is meant to do. Also if the need for privacy becomes more urgent you can always opt for a pensiones or hotel for a night or two but please don't miss out on those wonderful moments of shared meals and getting to know folks from all over the world. That lack of privacy also fosters a lasting friendship in some cases - rough with the smooth and all that.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
@StepheninDC try not to rule out options before starting walking as the forum can concentrate posts about negative experiences if that is what the subject of the thread is. I wouldn't have missed staying in albergues, I certainly found my usual need for privacy challenged at the start, but then walking the Camino is challenging - that is what it is meant to do. Also if the need for privacy becomes more urgent you can always opt for a pensiones or hotel for a night or two but please don't miss out on those wonderful moments of shared meals and getting to know folks from all over the world. That lack of privacy also fosters a lasting friendship in some cases - rough with the smooth and all that.

I won't rule out albergues before actually walking and staying in some, don't get me wrong. However, I need to be able to reserve the right to stay elsewhere in case the troubling noises begin to ruin my vacation. Let me give you a quick illustration: last September my wife and I were in Berlin and Gdansk. Berlin was great, the hotel was located in a peaceful area and we had few to no disturbances. The hotel in Gdansk was in a great location in terms of sightseeing and restaurants, but the windows in our room didn't seal out noise very well, and late-night revelers out on the streets below made for a terrible night's sleep, mostly tossing and turning. The next day I felt awful and I was terrible company for my wife, who hadn't slept any better than I had. :( This Camino will be the longest trip I've taken to Europe since 1999, and unlike previous trips to Europe, where I mostly traveled by train, bus or car, I'm going to be walking. A lot. Being robbed of sleep is going to be seriously damaging to my experience, I'm sure you can understand that. :eek: However, meeting people and enjoying the camaraderie on The Way is a principal reason for my going, so you're right about the trade-off of privacy vs making lasting friendships. :) I'm just not too friendly on no night's sleep, that's all I'm saying. I'll just have to see how it goes and adjust my plan accordingly. I'm thinking my 1/2 bottle of wine at dinner + Ambien cocktail might be in order. :p

I enjoyed reading this thread, I really did. It serves to underscore why I made a choice several Caminos ago to only stay in private hostal or hotel accommodations when on Camino.

I stay in private albergues only when solitary lodging is simply not available. At those few times when a albergue is the sole choice, I carry earplugs which I offer to everyone who desires.

Allow me to explain.

For everyone involved, a Camino is supposed to be a special time in their life. It is intended to be a unique experience. One typically hopes to come off a Camino with an improved attitude, sense of self, or of others. Clearly, not being able to sleep well enough to recharge one's "batteries" for the coming day's walk works against this desired result.

I am no different than anyone else. However, I am aware that I snore, must get up often to use the toilet and require uninterrupted sleep, to the extent my own snoring and toilet needs dictate.

Because I KNOW that these practices will annoy people in a albergue setting, I simply choose to avoid creating a burden for others to deal with.

Yes, this increases my daily lodging cost. I can offset some of it if I am careful in choosing lodging places, or by eating more simply, or reducing my alcohol intake while on Camino. I plan budget and save accordingly, all year, so I can afford these increased costs.

But, in the end, I figure that my added expense contributes at least indirectly to an enhanced Camino experience by my fellow pilgrims. I just hope, usually in vain, that others will take the hint and do the same out of respect and consideration for others.

I hope this helps.

'Recordings' is the same word as 'memories' / 'souvenirs' in Spanish, so I got some mileage out of asking people if they would like to hear my 'recuerdo' of the Camino.

Rcordings translates to Spanish as "grabaciones" not "recuerdos". Grabar is to record.

Oh, dear, this thread is starting to make me think I should pay for private rooms now rather share in an albergue. :oops: If I go to sleep first, I can usually sleep through anything. But I have a terrible time getting to sleep if others are snoring around me when I go to bed. And I'm a world-class grouch in the morning if I don't get enough sleep, just ask my wife. ;)Time to head to a hotel booking website and plan to ante up more money for private accommodations. :(

Please don't rob yourself of the experience of meeting great people and a laugh over communal dinners. Just buy earplugs. I definitely didn't want people to go other places. My sole purpose was to get people to bring earplugs so it's easier not to be disturbed by all kinds of noises when 20 people sleep in the same room and to respect peoples privacy. There is so little on it on the camino so the sole privacy you have is your bed for the night. The rest you can survive and is part of the experience. I wish you a buon camino.

This is what custard pies are for! if a stranger woke me up by touching me they would be very lucky to get just a custard pie in the face.
Refugios are exactly what they are - people who cannot cope with that need to go private.

Ha ha ha... I laughed out loud at this one. It will go in to consideration of my nightly ritual of things to keep close to me:rolleyes:;) I wonder what kind of cakes I Can get in Spain that are of same texture;)

Last edited:
Awful -- in my experience though, the people who have complained loudest about snoring have tended to be champion snorers themselves !!

The far more sensible response to snoring is to just roll over and go back to sleep ...

See she didn't actually snore but the second time she woke me at 04:30 I couldn't get back to sleep. So I heard her. The guy she was walking with was snoring loud and she didn't do anything about that but she was grunting and saying other noises in her sleep. Quite loud. I did consider getting out of bed and pushing her as she did me. However as much As I don't like people touching me, I don't care to do that to another person either, even if she did it to me. But would have been interesting to see how she would have reacted if I had done it to her too.o_O

Please don't rob yourself of the experience of meeting great people and a laugh over communal dinners. Just buy earplugs. I definitely didn't want people to go other places. My sole purpose was to get people to bring earplugs so it's easier not to be disturbed by all kinds of noises when 20 people sleep in the same room and to respect peoples privacy. There is so little on it on the camino so the sole privacy you have is your bed for the night. The rest you can survive and is part of the experience. I wish you a buon camino.

Thank you, I do have earplugs already in my backpack, ready to go, courtesy of my wife. ;) I've found, though, that earplugs only reduce ambient noise, they don't eliminate it. In my experience, they don't reduce noise enough to allow me to sleep, but we shall see. You might say I'll just "play it by ear," but I guess that's a bad pun. :D

I read in a post somewhere (not this thread) that there are industrial strength ear plugs that really do work, expensive though. any one know brand, etc? thanks

Thank you, I do have earplugs already in my backpack, ready to go, courtesy of my wife. ;) I've found, though, that earplugs only reduce ambient noise, they don't eliminate it. In my experience, they don't reduce noise enough to allow me to sleep, but we shall see. You might say I'll just "play it by ear," but I guess that's a bad pun. :D
That's why I don't bother with earplugs at all. Instead I use earbuds and listen to podcasts that I've downloaded to my phone. Having something to listen to works better for me than trying to not listen to something.

Please let me know how many I should pack, and I will add one for me (I LOVE custard pies!)

Galahs and Cockatoos .....

I am very sorry but I am NEVER going to Australia:eek: :eek: :eek: My Aussie friends are going to come to me. Trip cancelledo_O

That is VERY creepy... :confused: :confused: I don't think I'm going to get any sleep tonight after this :rolleyes:

Like you, I need to fall asleep before the snoring starts & I'm OK
If not? I'm chopped meat.
And besides the snoring I'm 6'2. Those little twin beds don't fit me so well.
What I plan on doing is taking a list of the best Albergues and try and stay in hotels & pensions near to them. Try to stay close to the action so to speak.
If I find myself in an Albergue I will take a Xanax.
The ambien knocks me out too much

€149,-
Like you, I need to fall asleep before the snoring starts & I'm OK
If not? I'm chopped meat.
And besides the snoring I'm 6'2. Those little twin beds don't fit me so well.
What I plan on doing is taking a list of the best Albergues and try and stay in hotels & pensions near to them. Try to stay close to the action so to speak.
If I find myself in an Albergue I will take a Xanax.
The ambien knocks me out too much

I don't have a problem with the bed size, I'm only 5'4". :)
But I am thinking I might just try to hit the bed early so I'm asleep before any "roncadores/as." I did a sleep study earlier this year and apparently fell asleep in 6 minutes, and that's with all of those ridiculous wires attached to me. :D

Just a word of caution for those who have never used earplugs and are planning to rely on them for your Camino: Practice using them prior to departure. Like shoes, it can take time getting them just right. You want to practice the method of inserting them correctly to get the full decibel-lowering value of the plug. You need to know whether you can tolerate sleeping with ear plugs, as some folks are not able to do so. For some, earplugs can hurt the skin that is in and around the ear canal. For others, there can be skin allergenic-type of sensitivities to the material. Some simply cannot abide the pressure the earplug exerts against the ear canal structures in order to create a seal. As with others, you might find that the ear plugs create an "achy feeling" somewhat like a mild ear ache.

I have used earplugs for a couple of decades now when I sleep. They remove the sound of snoring and loud outside noises while I sleep. If I need to set an alarm, I have a very high decibel alarm clock which is close to my side of the bed on a bedstand table. I will not make a recommendation for an earplug, only that the higher the decibel reduction rating is, the better it will perform... if inserted properly. It is better to have a lower decibel reduction rating and a good fit, than a higher decibel reduction rating and a poor fit. These are what I use; nothing fancy and they are inexpensive.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007XANYI/?tag=casaivar02-20

Ear plugs don't block out snoring. I like many go try to just turn over and ignore the noise as we all snore sometimes. However, if a person is persistent and loud I have no hesitation in giving them a nudge. Their noise has already invaded my space!!

€149,-
Please don't rob yourself of the experience of meeting great people and a laugh over communal dinners.

I'd go further, and say don't rob yourself of the experience of meeting great people who also happen to be ginormous snore-a-matics !!!

Your Camino is not defined by your odd intolerance of some abundance of nightly noises ...

I was taught to tap the bottom of someone's feet if you had to wake them without startling them.

I'm a heavy sleeper. You can nudge me, shove me, steal my pillow and whack me with it, kick me ... I'll probably just grumble, take my pillow back if you have it, roll over, and go back to sleep.

But gently brush my neck??? I live in the tropics, and occasionally very large creepy things get in the house. If something brushes my neck while I sleep I will scream loud enough to wake the dead while simultaneously jumping five feet in the air and throwing all my covers on the ground.

I speak from experience.

I was taught to tap the bottom of someone's feet if you had to wake them without startling them.

I'm a heavy sleeper. You can nudge me, shove me, steal my pillow and whack me with it, kick me ... I'll probably just grumble, take my pillow back if you have it, roll over, and go back to sleep.

But gently brush my neck??? I live in the tropics, and occasionally very large creepy things get in the house. If something brushes my neck while I sleep I will scream loud enough to wake the dead while simultaneously jumping five feet in the air and throwing all my covers on the ground.

I speak from experience.
DON'T*TOUCH*MY*FEET. Ever.

RUDE! No, not ever. Not your choice to snore, she'd have got a proper mouthful if she'd done it to me.

Apparently I have been known to snore although I've never heard it myself. Once in a climbing hut I woke in the morning surrounded by climbing boots that had been hurled at me.......but not woken me. HA! At least I was among friends and that does make a difference.

Well, I only see one solution ... may I introduce to you all the Chuukese love stick (Totally safe for work).

I did my Peace Corps service in Micronesia, and unmarried men and women lived communally in either the men's house or the women's house. In a previous generation the boys would carve a personalized 'love stick,' and give a copy to the girl they were pursuing. To quietly wake her up at night they would slide their stick through the thatch walls of the hale and tangle it in the girl's hair. She would feel the carvings on the stick, and know which boy was waiting for her outside.

note: I'm not really suggesting we use these in the albergues, either to nudge snorers or wake up potential amours. I'm just amused by the idea.

Attachments

• lovesticks.jpg
    lovesticks.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 10
Last night I was awoken by a woman not once but twice because I apparently was snoring. I must admit that I do not like people in my personal space without my permission

When I walked the Frances a couple of years back, most dorms featured at least one snorer. I don't mind too much. I wore earplugs and anyway my man is a snorer so I'm used to it.

Then I had an awful, awful night at Tosantos. Beautiful place, lovely evening. But my mat was on the floor about three inches from the mat of the loudest scorer ever. I got no sleep at all. I did prod her after about four hours of non stop noise. I was somewhat desperate to just sleep! She didn't even wake up for a moment. The whole room was grumbling.

And in the morning I had bites on my arms. Urgh. I left the place in tears. I pretty much ran away and it too a very kind encounter with German pilgrim Peter to get me back into some state of sanity.

I do think if you know you are a truly epic snorer you need to take responsibility for it. If you want private space, book a room.

After this, I booked myself a private room for several nights. Just taking responsibility for my own need to sleep.

Absolutely! But I'm soooo rubbish if I don't sleep. Easy solution. Book a room. Oh and buy industrial strength ear plugs!

In a previous generation the boys would carve a personalized 'love stick,' and give a copy to the girl they were pursuing. To quietly wake her up at night they would slide their stick through the thatch walls of the hale and tangle it in the girl's hair. She would feel the carvings on the stick, and know which boy was waiting for her outside.
Whoa that's the coolest thing ever. I feel like writing a slushy novel about that right now. I'll call it Stick With Me.

I think tolerance and consideration from all parties is important - perhaps the snorer could warn, apologise and offer earplugs to co-sleepers and co-sleepers could prepare by bringing air plugs and perhaps try getting to bed/sleep before the snorer. It's no one's 'fault', but precautions could be taken by both sides.

And yes -belching, farting, spitting audibly in public is gross! Especially farting - those smells! It is extremely unpleasant. Yes, sometimes it is unavoidable, but acknowledging the infraction isn't. I don't understand the expectation that other people will make accommodations for someone who does these things in communal living when the belcher/farter/spitter is the one who is actually worsening the communal environment.

The Caminos are particularly bad because of the amount of older men, and its a fact that you are more likely to snore as you get older, particularly males.

Best defence is to camp.

Most read last week in this forum

https://www.lodgify.com/blog/es/observatorio-lodgify-febrero-2024/?utm_campaign=ES%20-%20Content%20Newsletter&utm_medium=email&_hsmi=298376570&_hsenc=p2ANqtz--KQkkCIbmVh11e1l-9P2514JyKrTN8_nNki9ioi...
Have you had Communion while attending the Cruz de Ferro?
Hi there Can anyone tell me where on the Camino Frances there is a mural on a wall depicting “the three wise men”. I’ve admired it on several occasions, over the years, but I can’t remember where...
I wonder how many,if any get caught up in the idea...or ideal of the Camino To be sure it captured my imagination and reinforced by videos and pictures. I am quick to seek and find the good in...
What does the abbreviation "Rda" mean in Spanish? In context: "Calle la Rda, Villalcázar de Sirga". I have googled (of course), but I've obviously not been asking the right questions, as I've...
Hoping someone will have some new ideas for me! I always bring a box to Spain to mail to my friends in Madrid. It has for years had the following items — boxes of Vanilla Chai tea bags, Dentyne...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back