• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

? buy hiking poles in SJDP

VAS

Victoria
Time of past OR future Camino
June 2018
Is there a place to buy hiking poles when I arrive in SJDP? I'm taking my pack as a carry on, and from what I read, even collapsable ones are not allowed onto the plane. Thanks for your help.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
VAS, which Victoria do you live in? I only ask this as I live in Victoria, Canada and have never had a problem so far taking my poles...many times, to many countries from here and home again.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
At least a couple of places to buy trekking poles in Saint Jean, and they are inexpensive and of good quality. You do not need the expensive variety to walk the Camino.
If you do not buy them in Saint Jean you can get them in Zubiri, Pamplona or Puente la Reina as well.
It is well worth the few euros they cost and also being free of the possible hassle you may get for trying to carry them on a flight, or expense if you have to check them on. Not worth it. I have seen many trekking poles not allowed on flights as carry-on.

I've brought my "Pacer poles" both time on the Camino, In my back pack, checked on planes. From India across the planet to France, and back. To protect my pack and cover I put it in a rice sack, (asian restaurants, or Indian!!) I wouldn't be without them! Helps stability down the stones, up and down steep hills.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Why do you want trekking poles? Have you always used them? I have never used them and I consider them a waste of money, weight and space. I've lost count of the number of times I've seen people rushing back from up the road, having left them behind; the number of times people prop them up against a chair or the wall, only to see them slide to the floor; the number of times people have tripped over them (their own or other people's); the number of times I've seen people tap-tapping them, not really using them as they are intended to be used. Worst of all is the single pilgrim staff that some people seem to think is de rigeur. It's heavier than trekking poles and makes you unbalanced. I will grant that poles may be of some help going down a steep slope, especially if it's muddy, but I just take a bit of extra care and take it slowly. Having no poles means my hands are free, too.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Why do you want trekking poles? Have you always used them? I have never used them and I consider them a waste of money, weight and space. I've lost count of the number of times I've seen people rushing back from up the road, having left them behind; the number of times people prop them up against a chair or the wall, only to see them slide to the floor; the number of times people have tripped over them (their own or other people's); the number of times I've seen people tap-tapping them, not really using them as they are intended to be used. Worst of all is the single pilgrim staff that some people seem to think is de rigeur. It's heavier than trekking poles and makes you unbalanced. I will grant that poles may be of some help going down a steep slope, especially if it's muddy, but I just take a bit of extra care and take it slowly. Having no poles means my hands are free, too.

ahhh, Bert, I envy your knees already.
Perhaps try to understand that the poles are completely necessary for some and perhaps a luxury for others, and a completely useless burden for others. Your Camino is different from my Camino

Is there a place to buy hiking poles when I arrive in SJDP? I'm taking my pack as a carry on, and from what I read, even collapsable ones are not allowed onto the plane. Thanks for your help.
Of course you can buy hiking poles to "la boutique du pèlerin" that is close to the pilgrims office

Of course you can buy hiking poles to "la boutique du pèlerin" that is close to the pilgrims office

La Boutique du Pèlerin is a very friendly shop. They are open every day.

If you are considering poles, get them before the descent to Roncesvalles :p

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The Direction Compostelle shop mentioned above may have adequate hiking poles for purchase. They carry a lot of souvenirs and an assortment of basic items any pilgrim might need. On my first Camino I bought a trekking raincoat here that worked adequately for a month.

Another very good choice I recommend highly is the Maya Sport shop located on the flats along Avenue du Jai Alai. Get a town map and search for the Carrefour Supermarket. Maya Sport is located out on the main Avenue du Jai Alai.

It is maybe a good 10 minute walk from the center of town. Basically, walking back towards the train station, at the base of Rue de France, turn right onto Avenue du Trinquet, and follow that street to the roundabout. KSO onto Avenue du Jai Alai. Maya Sport and the Carrefour market are on your right.

This store is a slightly higher-end sports shop that caters more to the locals than to tourists and only-pilgrims. Hence, the quality is relatively better. They sell name-branded products, not 'made for the tourist trade.' However, the prices are the same, IMHO.

Here is a page describing this shop: http://www.chemindecompostelle.com/mayasport/index.html

Here is the home page for the Maya Sport web site: http://www.mayasport.fr/
Unfortunately, as of this writing, the page is under construction.

When you consider poles, beware of heavy, steel or cheap aluminium anti-shock poles. I advise against buying them. They are heavy, noisy and prone to breaking more easily than conventional twist fasten or toggle fasten poles. IMHO, the anti-shock feature is a useless gadget that sounds like a good idea but is not. They rattle with every step...very annoying. Most of them get tossed in the 'discard' box at the Pilgrim Office at Santiago, if they make it that far.

This said, when you DO find a pair of poles you like, please DO buy a pair of rubber tips to cover the tungsten steel pointy tips. It stops the annoying 'click-clack' sound these sticks make on paved surfaces...all across the Camino Frances...for 800 Km! The tips are a standard 12mm interior diameter and are sold in most all sport shops along the Camino. They are very cheap in France and Spain.

Hope this all helps.

just talked to my daughter yesterday who is climbing to base camp in Nepal. The airline told her no trekking poles in the plane. Only if you check your bag are they allowed. At least this airline. The problem is "to check your bag or not" ?

For people like me using poles every day throughout the year either winter and snow or summer, it is unlikely to join the camino without poles.
It is on the fiirst few days you really need them, to climb up or down thePyrenees from sjpdp to Pamplona or from Pamplona to Punte la Reina, up in heavy mud or down on loose stones downhill. Later on to climb down from Cruz de Ferro and later up to O'Cebreiro. Heavy walking poles is not a good walking companion, I would not trust finding a pair I like in SJPDP.. Better bring some from home that you know is suitable.
By the way I have no problems getting my collapsable black diamond poles with me onboard the plane from Norwegian airports.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Yes - you will find poles at the shop mentioned above by drmokc. It's just a few doors away from the Pilgrim's Office.
I purchased my poles in that shop for 16 euro each in 2017. I saw the exact same poles in Viana for 8 euro each. I felt kind of "ripped off", but I wouldn't have wanted to wait that long to buy them as I wanted poles from the "get go".

I have collapsible pole but I never have any trouble to bring my pole in Airline. Of course you may buy it in SJPP but I don't recommend it. There are lots of kinds trekking pole from less than 10oz to several pound per pair. It is not easy to find ultra light poles. If it is heavy, it is another burden.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Great objective assessment there Bert ;););)
My assessment was fully SUBjective, not OBjective. If I had written, "They are a waste of money, weight and space," you would be right, but I wrote, "I consider them to be a waste of money, weight and space" which makes it a subjective opinion.

Do you live boldly? Allow the Camino to provide and it usually does. Many will leave a hiking pole or staff behind. Some will leave in the donation box at an albergue.

Seriously, the section from SJPdP to Roncesvalles is best traversed with poles.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.