• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Buy packing (post) tube in Santiago? Or send suitcase ahead?

Joanne P

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances June 2018 & June 2023
Just needing some advice please ....

How easy would it be to find/buy one of those cardboard packing tubes in Santiago? (to send hiking poles home as check luggage)

OR, would I be better off sending a small suitcase from SJPDP to Santiago? Any idea what this would cost either by post, or one of those private transport companies?

The current plan is: 4 sets of hiking poles will be sent from Australia to SJPDP in a small suitcase as checked luggage. We are happy to dispose of the case in SJPDP if we are confident we can easily buy packing tubes in Santiago for the trip home. However, if it's not too expensive to get that case from SJPDP to Santiago, I think I would prefer to do that (a case is less likely to go astray in transit than a small packing tube .... I'm rather fond of my hiking poles :)and would hate to lose them)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Just needing some advice please ....

How easy would it be to find/buy one of those cardboard packing tubes in Santiago? (to send hiking poles home as check luggage)

OR, would I be better off sending a small suitcase from SJPDP to Santiago? Any idea what this would cost either by post, or one of those private transport companies?

The current plan is: 4 sets of hiking poles will be sent from Australia to SJPDP in a small suitcase as checked luggage. We are happy to dispose of the case in SJPDP if we are confident we can easily buy packing tubes in Santiago for the trip home. However, if it's not too expensive to get that case from SJPDP to Santiago, I think I would prefer to do that (a case is less likely to go astray in transit than a small packing tube .... I'm rather fond of my hiking poles :)and would hate to lose them)
You could probably buy a cheap duffel bag or suitcase for sending them home if you can't find a tube.

This is not complicated, so don't make it so! You can get a cardboard box and a roll of packing tape in Santiago, to pack up your poles for shipping home. They don't have to be in a Samsonite suitcase! :D

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
We picked up a box off the side of the road and wrapped the poles in that, secured with tape from the euro store.
It seems boxes get put out every evening.
We also scavenged polystyrene boxes from the fishmonger and vegetable seller to send home cheese!

Hi Joanne,
No packing tubes around Santiago, unfortunately. Other pilgrims have searched all over and been unable to find any. So the other advice above is solid :).

Buen Camino!
Faith

It seems like you have about a 75% chance of passing through security with them as part of your carry on. Why not try that?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Joanne,
No packing tubes around Santiago, unfortunately. Other pilgrims have searched all over and been unable to find any. So the other advice above is solid :).

Buen Camino!
Faith

Hi, Faith,
I have a memory of having found a packing tube years ago in some sort of architectural supplies store. I now just stick them inside my backpack and check my pack form Santiago, but years ago I used to check them separately on the return. Architects and engineers use those tubes all the time. Maybe this is a good outing for one of your many delightful interns if they aren't all back in school! Or just ask an architect or an engineer where they get theirs. :)

It seems like you have about a 75% chance of passing through security with them as part of your carry on. Why not try that?
The question relates to how to transport the poles home from Santiago. They have a ZERO percent chance of passing through security with them when boarding a flight from Santiago. There is a good chance of being able to carry them on other flights, but not from Santiago airport.

Hi, Faith,
I have a memory of having found a packing tube years ago in some sort of architectural supplies store. I now just stick them inside my backpack and check my pack form Santiago, but years ago I used to check them separately on the return. Architects and engineers use those tubes all the time. Maybe this is a good outing for one of your many delightful interns if they aren't all back in school! Or just ask an architect or an engineer where they get theirs. :)

Oh, good advice, Laurie! Ok, we'll try that.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I looked into sending a suitcase from SJPdP to be stored at SdC and from memory it was around AU$100. Instead I bought a suitcase from Carrefour in Santiago on special for around 25€. That suitcase is now sitting patiently waiting for my next trip back to Spain where it will find a new owner and I’ll buy another one to get home when the time is right.:) It is not a total indulgence. Well maybe it is :p:p:p but it does get used in between caminos. It’s not long come back from a 10 trip to China.

Last edited:
I looked into sending a suitcase from SJPdP to be stored at SdC and from memory it was around AU$100. Instead I bought a suitcase from Carrefour in Santiago on special for around 25€. That suitcase is now sitting patiently waiting for my next trip back to Spain where it will find a new owner and I’ll buy another one to get home when the time is right.:) It is not a total indulgence. Well maybe it is :p:p:p but it does get used in between caminos. It’s not long come back from a 10 trip to China.
Thanks HedaP - very helpful reply - exactly what I needed to know. I will happily leave the case in SJPDP, and find a box or cheap case in Santiago to send the poles home (or put them in the backpacks if they fit and check the packs in as luggage).
Cheers
Jo

We picked up a box off the side of the road and wrapped the poles in that, secured with tape from the euro store.
It seems boxes get put out every evening.
We also scavenged polystyrene boxes from the fishmonger and vegetable seller to send home cheese!
Great, thank you! :)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
This is not complicated, so don't make it so! You can get a cardboard box and a roll of packing tape in Santiago, to pack up your poles for shipping home. They don't have to be in a Samsonite suitcase! :D
Thanks, that's all I was asking really ..... if it was going to be easy to get a tube or box in Santiago.
Nothing too complicated about that ;)

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.