• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Buying a bike in France

Joburnet

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino de Santiago (2016)
Has anyone had experience buying a bike in France? I'd like to buy a bike on bikester.fr and have it shipped but I do not have a local address. I assume I can have it shipped to a post office but I'm having trouble getting information since I don't speak French. I emailed bikester but have not heard back, not a good sign.

Worst case I can walk into a Decathlon and ride out with a bike.

Also, any opinion on a trekking vs mountain bike? The trekking bikes already have fenders and a bike rack while the mountain bike has front suspension. I'm planning on a bike tour and would prefer to stay on roads vs. trails. Seems like I'd make much better time and have less of a chance of breaking something on a bike.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Decathalon has good hikes at good prices. Front suspension is over rated off road and dead weight on road. Fenders are a disaster on muddy trails but nice on wet roads.

As newfydog says Decathalon has has good bikes and good prices. There are many Decathalon atores throughout France and Europe. However if you fly to Paris/CDG airport they have a store nearby in Claye Souilly just 10 km away which is open every day.
http://www.decathlon.fr/fr/store?store_id=PS_72

Bon chemin and Buen camino!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I would also highly recommend Decathlon. Their road bikes mountain bikes and hybrids are incredible value for money (I build bikes and can't do them for the same price/quality ratio using trade prices!). The Vermont one is OK, pretty low end spec though and will be quite heavy. If you're only going on roads and a minimal amount of tracks etc then as already said you're probably better off without suspension. However, I would recommend getting something with a carbon front fork, the amount of road "buzz" it'll neutralise will be very noticeable and it'll make the bike more responsive and lighter for little extra cash.
However, if you are thinking of following any of the Camino Frances cycle route, then you might want to think again as large parts are off road (although there may be an alternative) and a good lightweight mountain bike (with at least front suspension) would be better. I don't know about other routes.
Personally I would go to a Decathlon store, tell them what you're hoping to do and try a few out for size/riding style etc. You can ride them around the store to try out and the mechanics usually know their stuff. They'll also customise them too, such as adding pannier racks or mud guards or changing pedals or seat posts etc. And also buy any shoes/panniers/clothing/helmet/pump/puncture kit whilst in store too.
No I don't work for them (if you were in the UK obviously recommend my services) but I would highly recommend getting yourself to France and just find the nearest Decathlon store to your destination and take it from there.
Hope that helps.

I would also highly recommend Decathlon. Their road bikes mountain bikes and hybrids are incredible value for money (I build bikes and can't do them for the same price/quality ratio using trade prices!). The Vermont one is OK, pretty low end spec though and will be quite heavy. If you're only going on roads and a minimal amount of tracks etc then as already said you're probably better off without suspension. However, I would recommend getting something with a carbon front fork, the amount of road "buzz" it'll neutralise will be very noticeable and it'll make the bike more responsive and lighter for little extra cash.
However, if you are thinking of following any of the Camino Frances cycle route, then you might want to think again as large parts are off road (although there may be an alternative) and a good lightweight mountain bike (with at least front suspension) would be better. I don't know about other routes.
Personally I would go to a Decathlon store, tell them what you're hoping to do and try a few out for size/riding style etc. You can ride them around the store to try out and the mechanics usually know their stuff. They'll also customise them too, such as adding pannier racks or mud guards or changing pedals or seat posts etc. And also buy any shoes/panniers/clothing/helmet/pump/puncture kit whilst in store too.
No I don't work for them (if you were in the UK obviously recommend my services) but I would highly recommend getting yourself to France and just find the nearest Decathlon store to your destination and take it from there.
Hope that helps.

Thanks for the tip, that's exactly what I'll do. I'm planning to continue after Santiago to tour Portugal and all the way to Gibralter before meeting up with a friend in Morocco. It's about 2000km in 25 days so I'm trying to average 100km per day with a few days off. I've budgeted $400 for a bike, I already have panniers and most equipment. My biggest question is mountain or road but I'm thinking it'll be a lot easier to do the 2000km on road than mountain.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
If you're doing mainly road cycling then a road bike or hybrid is definitely best (less friction, lighter etc) but you'll need to check the routes as when I was on the sarria to Santiago section last year a lot of cyclists were using the same tracks as the walkers and a mountain bike or cyclocross bike would definitely be needed for that. There may well be a road only route.
The Triban range from Decathlon get great reviews and they do a flat bar version that's a great compromise between a road bike and a hybrid (light and fast but with a more relaxed position and ability to fit mudguards and panniers etc). You also want to check out gearing too, remember it's not the amount of gears you have but the ratios between the front chain rings and rear cassette.
However, the guys in store will be able to offer the best advice depending on their current range and appropriate to your needs and make sure you get the correct fit, both in terms of frame size and saddle style etc.

From what you have said you need a bike suitable for touring - forget suspension .. just dead weight and gimmicky unless you are doing some serious off-roading stuff.... you need wheels spoke laced for touring, a light but strong frame, low road/mountain touring gearing, mudguards, racks, panniers, helmet, bell, and small tools and spares - I agree absolutely with all responses above - get yourself over to Decathlon and choose a good bike. Decathlon sell great bikes - even their cheapo ones are good - and they are at excellent prices ... they have on site cycle workshop so they put it all together for you at no charge and have all the accessories you could possibly need.
You can save money by taking your panniers and tools and helmet and so on with you.

Helmet laws in France, Spain, and Portugal
France - No requirement
Spain - Required on interurban routes except when going uphill or in very hot weather, or for professional cyclists. (Basically if you are in a town or going up a hill or getting too hot you don't need to wear a helmet (though I would!!)
Portugal - No requirement (except for users of electric power-assisted bicycles)

Hi-Viz gilet/waistcoat laws
France - Hi Vis jacket or Gilet when cycling
Spain - Hi Vis Jacket or Gilet When Cycling
Portugal - No information

Add the app iTranslate to your phone (if you have a smartphone) and get them to let you log in to their wi-fi and you will be away ....

the whole trick is to keep it all simple .... so just go to the shop and do it there!

Buen Camino (and on) ;)

Last edited:
Thanks for all the advice, a cyclocross bike seems about perfect. I'll post here with pictures of the bike when I get it next week.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I'll add to the Decathalon recs

After one tour I went into a store to ask if they had any bike boxes for the flight home. They unpacked two new bikes just give us the boxes.

As usual good advice from "newfydog" and also from David.
I rode from Pamplona to Santiago last Sept. I brought my bike from Oz (thanks again David), it has front suspension but in reality you can manage without it. I estimate I rode about 500 km (out of my 650 km) [ due to extreme weather I did hop on the train for 50-60km], following the walking pilgrims route - a lot of the Camino is Spanish rural roads - gravel/unsealed and any bike with reasonable tyres (29-33mm - approx) will get you there. One section I strongly recommend you don't follow the Camino is the descent from the Cruz de Fero - stay on the road to Ponferrada. Also after Herrerias (about halfway between Villafranca and O'Cebreiro) you are strongly recommend to take the road - there is a sign english/spanish/bike symbol - pointing to the cycle route.
As for buying a bike in France or Spain - well both are almost "bike mad" countries so you are spoilt for choice. But as they say - you get what you pay for and as intend to tour after the Camino you have differing needs. There is a very good, friendly, cycle shop in Pamplona (Mundoraintxe - Calle Neuva 123) and all along the route you have bike shops if you need repairs. In Leon I can personally recommend Bicicletas Blanco (shop is at C/ Andres Gonzalez 1) and in Santiago Velocipedo (Rua San Pedro - right on the Camino as you come into city - about 1 or 1.5 km past the bus terminal). Have a great Camino. Cheers

Has anyone had experience buying a bike in France? I'd like to buy a bike on bikester.fr and have it shipped but I do not have a local address. I assume I can have it shipped to a post office but I'm having trouble getting information since I don't speak French. I emailed bikester but have not heard back, not a good sign.

Worst case I can walk into a Decathlon and ride out with a bike.

Also, any opinion on a trekking vs mountain bike? The trekking bikes already have fenders and a bike rack while the mountain bike has front suspension. I'm planning on a bike tour and would prefer to stay on roads vs. trails. Seems like I'd make much better time and have less of a chance of breaking something on a bike.
Hi depending on where you plan to start I'm in France, department 17 you can send me a new bike. ;)

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hello & you have posed an interesting question.

You haven't mentioned where you live now. If it's in France (or very close by) I can see that you'd like to pick up a good bike for the camino.

However, if you are flying in and then flying back out - why would you want to buy a bike? There are a number of companies that will rent you a bike - you specify the type of bike, you bring your pedals & shoes & away you go. At the end of the camino, you simply turn the bike back in and then go on your merry way.

buen camino

Most read last week in this forum

I Willl start biking from SJPD on 9.may with Ebike. I have a list of bike friendly albergs is there somebody who have experience with charging batery in such alberg. Do i need afdition 220v...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back