• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Buying a donkey near St Jean or Pamplona

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi, cant help you there but she needs to read the book by a British male writer, Travels with my Ass, comedic obviously (writer's name escapes me) but it goes into detail about his Camino Frances with a donkey and particularly into Donkey care which is incredibly necessary to keep the animal in good shape. Their hoofs need proper and regular care; grooming, food (gas/allergies) also can be a problem. Their is an association in Britain where he did a donkey husbandry course. Anyway, hope she doeas her research. The book is actually extremeley heart warming as well as being very funny and a good account of the Camino Frances, as well as the vagaries of Donkeys.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Tim Moore, a British author, wrote TRAVELS WITH MY DONKEY, subtitled "one man and his ass on the comino de santiago." He bought/rented his donkey near SJPDP. He is based in London and I'm sure you could get in contact with him via his publisher. The book is also a great read on the Camino. Other titles by Tim Moore inlcude FRENCH REVOLUTIONS & FROST ON MY MUSTACHE.

I hope for the sake of the donkey that she has the prior experience and skills to take care of it. I had a friend, who loved and cared for his donkey, yet he still ended up with the heartbreaking experience of watching his friend die when it developed diarroea on a hot day.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
When Moore published his book, animal rights activists were up in arms because of this "firm" treatment of the animal at times. I think it is important to know the woman's background in animal handling. Moore took a short course, which was too short I surmised during my reading. Anthropomorphizing a burro into something that might actually want to walk a pilgrimage may be a mistake, and may contain more than a little bit of hubris. A beast of burden is not a plaything for our amusement, perhaps?

David said:
we can assume that she has lots of large animal experience rather than assuming she hasn't :

We didn't assume anything. She is your friend, perhaps you can tell us if she knows what she is doing.
Here's a guy we met with a horse he borrowed. The horse had done the Camino before, handled it well, and the owner felt it would be good for her. He paid someone with a car to arrange ahead and care for the horse each evening. He walked the first few km's each day for the horse to warm up. A good example of doing it the right way, which, I am sure, your friend will do as well.

Attachments

• horse.JPG
    horse.JPG
    99.4 KB · Views: 689
Please do read Tim Moore's book, it will surely convince most people to abandon the idea. Donkeys are wonderful animals, in good health one can easily able to make the journey. The first and most striking conclusion from Mr. Moore's experiences is that we, both the pilgrims and most of the hospitaliers waiting to welcome us, all comfortably living in the Twenty-First century and are no longer able to comprehend, are no longer prepared, or can even imagine the difficulties of life together with a donkey. Robert Louis Stevenson got away with it but several years have passed since then, 133 to be exact.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
If it's a talking donkey she wants, I'm wondering if Balaam might be a good person to talk with :wink:

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back