• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Buying a Hamlet in Galicia

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
First I win the lottery, second I buy Hornillos....
Sometime ago I posted an American NPR (National Public Radio) article about Galician hamlets for sale with at least one of them free. Still, you might need to win the lottery to put a roof on all those buildings.

I believe all who have posted so far are from the U.S. Maybe we are all thinking, and I am one of them, that right now we'd be better off living elsewhere.;)

Anyway, I don't think purchase of a home in Spain brings with it any kind of temporary residence visa. There is still the Schengen visa requirement (for U.S. citizens and many/most non-Schengen countries.) Then there is healthcare if this is a retirement home. The Brit who bought the village and is developing it will probably "luck out" and find that the BREXIT negotiations provide some form of reciprocal coverage for UK citizens to at least partially replicate what they have previously enjoyed. Meaning visiting a doctor or having a procedure in Spain will be partially covered by some post-BREXIT reciprocity. Maybe... this has yet to be decided. Brits buying places in his village will join the earlier emigration of Brits who have moved to southern France and southern Spain.

My newsfeed has had a recent stream of breezy articles about retiring in desirable and cheaper countries...Italy was the last such place. Don't know for sure, but I would guess the same impediments exist for those outside of the Schengen Area - residency authorizations and healthcare.

But dream on, U.S, citizens.

Anyway, I don't think purchase of a home in Spain brings with it any kind of temporary residence visa. There is still the Schengen visa requirement (for U.S. citizens and many/most non-Schengen countries.) Then there is healthcare if this is a retirement home. The Brit who bought the village and is developing it will probably "luck out" and find that the BREXIT ...
Three different things here.

1) If you own an apartment or a house in EU you are eligible for long term visa no big problem,
2) You can arrange your health care security quite easily in country of residence but of course you would either have to pay for it through taxes (from your salary) or pay for it independently,
3) Brexit and possible glitches re "rights" is completely something else.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Residency in the EU for Americans could probably be handled by alternating 90 day periods in Spain and Ireland (or Poland under a special visa). Having medical coverage could be handled too if, like in @rappahannock_rev's dreams, you win a lottery.

Last edited:
Residency in the EU for Americans could probably be handled by alternating 90 day periods in Spain and Ireland (or Poland under a special visa). Having medical coverage could be handled too if, like in @rappahannock_rev's dreams, you win a lottery.
Wrong and wrong.

Read my post above. Owners of a property are eligible for residential visa! And members of their close family too.

I don't really have to move a muscle to have minimum pension and basic health insurance in Slovenia if I pay 370€ per month. Don't know for Spain but we are (at least from the OP perspective) talking about retirement. So I guess you would already have these things covered. And you definitely don't need to win a lottery although ... ;)

Someone once said...There are those who "make things happen", those who "watch things happen", and those who "don't know anything is happening at all". Probably for many who make things happen...it often starts out with a pipe dream.

Last edited:
I think that the place in Vilalba is closer to Norte than Primitivo.
The group of friends are from Madrid.
I am sure that they like the place because the landscape is green and beautiful but I hope that previously had checked how would it be the life in winter by renting a house in the area.

The Brit who bought the village and is developing it will probably "luck out" and find that the BREXIT negotiations provide some form of reciprocal coverage for UK citizens to at least partially replicate what they have previously enjoyed.
See previous message: the village was bought by a group of Spanish people. They are retired, just watch the video ... the British man mentioned in the article has nothing to do with this village. He runs an agency that sells real estate and he has renovated an old house himself. He has married a Galician and has lived in Galicia for over 40 years. So none of them have to cope with additional issues like moving to a foreign country they know only from a few visits and the conditions for qualifying for residency.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
"There is a reason many of those hamlets are empty"

The main reason is that people have to work and take care of their family.

If you have children, would you like to raise them away from other children?

For most people, finding work in such isolated places is really difficult. I knew a painter, from Slovakia, I think, who moved to live in an amazing house in Grajal de Campos (next to Sahagún) ... but this guy had the advantage of having a liberal profession ... I hope I can make him a visit on my next Camino!

By the way, the Albergue in Grajal de Campos ... just amazing !! Unfortunately it has no hospitalero, but the building is amazing! I really enjoyed exploring the building, the tunnels, ...

Wrong and wrong.

Read my post above. Owners of a property are eligible for residential visa! And members of their close family too.
Kinky, first let me say that my post was being written when yours was sent so, although my reply came after yours I hadn't a chance to read yours first.

I'll stand corrected on the facts but let me quibble about the practicality. I knew that Portugal had a Golden Visa program but hadn't heard about Spain's. Spain too has one but €500,000 for a house is a bit much for me.
I don't really have to move a muscle to have minimum pension and basic health insurance in Slovenia if I pay 370€ per month. Don't know for Spain but we are (at least from the OP perspective) talking about retirement. So I guess you would already have these things covered. And you definitely don't need to win a lottery although ... ;)
American retirees's government health care, Medicare, doesn't pay anything for care outside of the States. And the government's "pension" plan for the masses, Social Security, has a minimum payment of $0.00. That's not a typo.

Wow, I never expected my post to create such a maelstrom of practicalities. Yes, it was a utopian dream only. Unless an entire community was created of retirees, living in an isolated fashion as would be required, in a foreign culture would be difficult at best. Cheers to the dream!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I believe all who have posted so far are from the U.S. Maybe we are all thinking, and I am one of them, that right now we'd be better off living elsewhere.;)

Anyway, I don't think purchase of a home in Spain brings with it any kind of temporary residence visa. There is still the Schengen visa requirement (for U.S. citizens and many/most non-Schengen countries.) Then there is healthcare if this is a retirement home. The Brit who bought the village and is developing it will probably "luck out" and find that the BREXIT negotiations provide some form of reciprocal coverage for UK citizens to at least partially replicate what they have previously enjoyed. Meaning visiting a doctor or having a procedure in Spain will be partially covered by some post-BREXIT reciprocity. Maybe... this has yet to be decided. Brits buying places in his village will join the earlier emigration of Brits who have moved to southern France and southern Spain.

My newsfeed has had a recent stream of breezy articles about retiring in desirable and cheaper countries...Italy was the last such place. Don't know for sure, but I would guess the same impediments exist for those outside of the Schengen Area - residency authorizations and healthcare.

Yes, I think many in the US are contemplating becoming expats. I've thought about Spain for a long time and buying a hamlet in Galicia sounds perfect but for the Schengen requirements and, of course, healthcare.

Having retired to Spain (from Canada), I am quite familiar with the requirements for residency. Owning a property here does not guarantee residency unless you are prepared to spend 500,000.00 euros. However, there are other ways to acquire residency (e.g., on a non-lucrative visa). Private heath care in Spain (at least here in Barcelona) is top notch and very affordable. As an added bonus, it offers easy to access many Camino routes! I might also add that living here began as a pipe dream (see Camino Chrissy's post above) following our first Camino.

Last edited:
Wow, I never expected my post to create such a maelstrom of practicalities. Yes, it was a utopian dream only. Unless an entire community was created of retirees, living in an isolated fashion as would be required, in a foreign culture would be difficult at best. Cheers to the dream!

For the people from Madrid, rural Galicia is also a very different culture (and weather). Of course, they will be able to comunícate with locals in Spanish but are going to hear at bar and shops conversations in Galego that they don't understand. Also their own conversations with locals in Spanish will be difficult because they don't know anything about agriculture, forests and cows and the locals nothing about urban issues.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I saved this the other day for future reference, maybe it can help answer some of the questions ...

A previous thread ;) It led to me talking to a couple of members living in Spain, on the Camino......

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hahaha.
Yesterday I watched a TV program about fortune tellers in Spain and to my surprise most of them told that they were autonomous workers and pay taxes. So, the papeleo must not be so hard now. :)

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.