• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Buying a paper map

holhum

Time of past OR future Camino
Planning for Leon to Santiago June 2019
I will be walking from La Virgen Del Camino just past Leon and trying to work out my own stages, but without a map it is doing my head in a bit...flipping from section to section in my Brierley guide or googling maps then zooming in and out 😬 Can anyone recommend a good old fashioned fold out paper map that will cover Leon - Santiago in enough detail to see all the smaller villages? Something I can order online and get sent to Australia if I can't find it here. Thanks!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I can't help but I understand the issue. Each time I've gone I've copied three fold out pages from a Spanish roadmaps book and then taped them together to make one big detailed map of the area I'm going to cover. That way I can see my journey from start to finish. Good luck!

If you need only something to plan your stages, then look at

www.gronze.com

There you have a little map with distances and many information about Albergues.

If you really want a paper map - sorry - I can´t help you😞

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
This may not help you now but...

Once you get to Spain, you should be able to find paper maps in stationary or newspaper type of store or book store in Spain/France

Bike stores may also have paper maps

You may be better off getting a guide book. Many are smaller in size and will have all information you will need. The one I have used was "Hiking the Camino de Santiago" by Anna Dintaman & David Landis. It will add bit of weight on your pack but if you want a map, this book will have all maps you will need to walk the Camino.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I will be walking from La Virgen Del Camino just past Leon and trying to work out my own stages, but without a map it is doing my head in a bit...flipping from section to section in my Brierley guide or googling maps then zooming in and out 😬 Can anyone recommend a good old fashioned fold out paper map that will cover Leon - Santiago in enough detail to see all the smaller villages? Something I can order online and get sent to Australia if I can't find it here. Thanks!
Hi there, if you want I have nice files with all the stages from Sjdp to SdC. So you don’t need to carry any paper.
The only think is in Italian language but the map show you the way plus all the stages, (name village and so on) that anyone doesn’t need to translate but just read it.
I can send to you through email because the files are too long.
By the way I’m italian but I live in Sydney and I’ll do the Camino and the end of April to May. 😉

Looking forward to hear from you

Ciao

If you need only something to plan your stages, then look at

www.gronze.com

There you have a little map with distances and many information about Albergues.

If you really want a paper map - sorry - I can´t help you😞
Thanks for the 'Gronze' website info. Awesome maps etc. Any way to translate it into English? Is there a 'translate' button somewhere? Thanks!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
There is a small Michelin book with great maps for the Frances, do they do other Caminos?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I have the Michelin Europe Tourist and Motoring Atlas - a large scale map book of Europe. I love it. When the dreaming begins, out it comes....

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thanks for the 'Gronze' website info. Awesome maps etc. Any way to translate it into English? Is there a 'translate' button somewhere? Thanks!
Open Gronze in Google Chrome and the browser will automatically translate for you:

Not perfect but understandable.

There are numerous apps you can use to plot the Camino on very detailed maps - Viewranger for one. The Spanish IGN app gives amazing detail. You can always print and stick the sheets together.

This is the IGN map with the route of the CF overlaid on it. In real life you can scroll along the Camino all the way to SdC or just print out screenshots and tape together. DM me if you need guidance. You can get the route from the resources pages on the forum or I can send you a copy.

Last edited:
First: don't worry about 'the stages' too much, because there aren't really any. The camino is a long path with about 400(?) albergues on its way. Day by day you can walk as long as you want to...
Besides, this map from the Dutch confraternity might help you. You can move and zoom into the map. If you fill in 'La Virgen Del Camino' in the search area it brings you right to your start. Maybe you can print these maps on the right scale?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
You need the Spanish IGN (Instituto Geografico Nacional) maps for stages 19-22 onwards. They're 1:50000 scale and aimed at walkers. In Spanish, with an English key, and available by post from Stanfords, London.
And their batteries never go flat!
But £27.99 for the set of maps and between £8 and £27.50 for postage - I'd rather buy a spare set of batteries!

But £27.99 for the set of maps and between £8 and £27.50 for postage - I'd rather buy a spare set of batteries!
Yes, the maps aren't cheap (probably cheaper in Spain) but which will last longer? And when you're sitting in your armchair in the care home in years to come (many, I hope!) can you see yourself reminiscing over a set of dud batteries?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Have a look at Michelin Road Maps 'Regional Espania'. The scale isn't great at 1cm: 4km, but I found them very helpful when trying to look at the bigger picture - especially when doing the Via de La Plata last year.
The Caminos aren't marked, but if you also have a guide book you'll be fine.
If you have a Garmin GPS, take a look a 'Talkytoaster' (do a Google) for VERY cheap 1:50k mapping. I have their maps for Spain and UK....didn't cost a lot at all.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Have a look at Michelin Road Maps 'Regional Espania'. The scale isn't great at 1cm: 4km, but I found them very helpful when trying to look at the bigger picture - especially when doing the Via de La Plata last year.
The Caminos aren't marked, but if you also have a guide book you'll be fine.
If you have a Garmin GPS, take a look a 'Talkytoaster' (do a Google) for VERY cheap 1:50k mapping. I have their maps for Spain and UK....didn't cost a lot at all.
👍 Talkytoaster - have been using his maps for the best part of 10 years, good guy to deal will too.

There is a small Michelin book with great maps for the Frances, do they do other Caminos?
I really like the small Michelin guide as well. Lightweight with best map detail i have seen.

For the route from Saint-Jean the small Michelin booklet is #160.

That for the route from Le Puy to Saint-Jean (both in France) is #161.

I kept mine in a front pouch, so easily acessible. Best of all possible worlds:
  1. elevation guide with towns, villages and points of interest
  2. selection of albergue (gite in France)
  3. detailed map
  4. achievement indicator

@Anamiri , kia kaha (take care, be strong, get going)

€149,-
You need the Spanish IGN (Instituto Geografico Nacional) maps for stages 19-22 onwards. They're 1:50000 scale and aimed at walkers. In Spanish, with an English key, and available by post from Stanfords, London.
And their batteries never go flat!
Yes, the maps aren't cheap (probably cheaper in Spain) but which will last longer? And when you're sitting in your armchair in the care home in years to come (many, I hope!) can you see yourself reminiscing over a set of dud batteries?
[/QUO
For the route from Saint-Jean the small Michelin booklet is #160.

That for the route from Le Puy to Saint-Jean (both in France) is #161.

I kept mine in a front pouch, so easily acessible. Best of all possible worlds:
  1. elevation guide with towns, villages and points of interest
  2. selection of albergue (gite in France)
  3. detailed map
  4. achievement indicator

@Anamiri , kia kaha (take care, be strong, get going)

Lots of great suggestions...will look at printing from the websites suggested and if that fails I can buy the Michelin guide here in Australia! Thanks everyone 😄👍🏻🙏🏻

A selection of Camino Jewellery
You may be better off getting a guide book. Many are smaller in size and will have all information you will need. The one I have used was "Hiking the Camino de Santiago" by Anna Dintaman & David Landis. It will add bit of weight on your pack but if you want a map, this book will have all maps you will need to walk the Camino.
But guide books do not give you an overview and you have to keep flipping from one page to another. I know exactly what Holhum means, I want the same thing for the same reason.

To me a paper map is far better than a tiny map of a tiny piece of the route on a tiny screen. I'm a travel dinosaur like that. I still use paper maps when driving too. I know any number of people who have no real idea of where they have actually been because they used their satnav system.

To me a paper map is far better than a tiny map of a tiny piece of the route on a tiny screen. I'm a travel dinosaur like that. I still use paper maps when driving too. I know any number of people who have no real idea of where they have actually been because they used their satnav system.
45 years as a Civil Engineer - I love maps and compasses but don't you just hate it when the bit you want to see is just off the edge of the paper map whereas, with a flick of your finger you can pan and zoom in on that tiny piece of the route on a tiny screen?

Rubric on a map from Colonial Boston:

WARNING: Roads are shifted, houses burn, are abandoned or rebuilt; a round world distorts a flat map; man’s memory is fallible; expect not exactness.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
45 years as a Civil Engineer - I love maps and compasses but don't you just hate it when the bit you want to see is just off the edge of the paper map whereas, with a flick of your finger you can pan and zoom in on that tiny piece of the route on a tiny screen?

I'll give you that one :)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
on a tiny screen

I too dislike the "tiny screen".

Which is why, for over six years now, I carry a tablet with a 10 inch screen (and a place for a SIM card).

Weight of my current tablet, keyboard and case is about 700 grams. I have stored most manuals (scanned for my use only), other reading. I am using it more and more in daily use, such as emails, at home. With my PC used only when a really big screen is needed.

My total pack weight is just on 7 kg. This includes the tablet, 1 litre of water, a two person (me and my pack) tent, groundsheet and sleeping pad at about 900 grams, a zoom point and shoot camera and nibble food for the day. Oh, and a change of clothes, dressings etc.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back