• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Buying a Rosary in Santiago

Robo

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 15,16,18
VdlP 23, Invierno 23, Fisterra 23
I need some help finding a shop that sells really nice Rosaries.

All the ones I have seen so far on my Camino were a bit 'tacky' looking. Sorry....

Long story......cut short.

Someone here suggested I take a Rosary with me on my Camino if I wanted peace and quiet. I.e. people would think I was praying and leave me alone.

Mentioned this to a Catholic friend and he insisted I take his!

Beautiful one, 50 years old, wooden beads, metal Christ on a wooden cross.

Funny thing is......I used it everyday. ...In Church and along the way. I'd love to buy one for myself of similar quality.

Any thoughts on where I might find one in Santiago? I'll take one back for my friend as a gift too...

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Good luck with that. Most of the shops in Santiago are touristy things.
Try walking out of the old town into the new...

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Robo,
I didn't find it easy at all to find a nice set of rosary beads in Santiago, or anywhere else.
I'd be interested to hear of you do find any...

Best wishes for your last few days

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I usually pick up a few in Leon at the cathedral of santa Maria . The ones I normally purchase are made of olive wood and are more old school and not so glitzy . Quite nice and are more to my taste . Hope this helps.
EL Guapo

I need some help finding a shop that sells really nice Rosaries.

All the ones I have seen so far on my Camino were a bit 'tacky' looking. Sorry....

Long story......cut short.

Someone here suggested I take a Rosary with me on my Camino if I wanted peace and quiet. I.e. people would think I was praying and leave me alone.

Mentioned this to a Catholic friend and he insisted I take his!

Beautiful one, 50 years old, wooden beads, metal Christ on a wooden cross.

Funny thing is......I used it everyday. ...In Church and along the way. I'd love to buy one for myself of similar quality.

Any thoughts on where I might find one in Santiago? I'll take one back for my friend as a gift too...

Ask a priest or a nun.
in portugal i've came across quite a few stores w/ devotional items (statues, frocks for mass, candles, etc) - there must be a few stores like that also in santiago.
some of those stores were on main-street (so to speak), some others were next to churches/convents.
another option: monasteries have sometimes gift-shops. bought some nice items there in various countries in europe .
buena suerte - good luck - buen camino

Ask a priest or a nun.
in portugal i've came across quite a few stores w/ devotional items (statues, frocks for mass, candles, etc) - there must be a few stores like that also in santiago.
some of those stores were on main-street (so to speak), some others were next to churches/convents.
another option: monasteries have sometimes gift-shops. bought some nice items there in various countries in europe .
buena suerte - good luck - buen camino
You are correct @amorfati1. The cathedral gift shop ( next door to the cathedral) had some very nice items for sale and I think I did see a rosary. I also saw two stores that sold religious items including frocks, statues, etc. I saw it on my way to the Correos (post office). There are also a few nice jewelry stores selling gold shells and other items related to the pilgrimage-they may not have a rosary but could probably help (one is located across from the pilgrim office, I think). I hope this helps.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Yes, the cathedral shops have nice stuff. However the cross chain and pendant I bought there for my girlfriend wasn't great quality. I thought it was silver given the price, but at best it was some kind of plate that quickly wore off and made her neck go a rusty colour. Double check exactly what you're getting!

I bought a few good ones but that was in Samos Monastery whilst waiting for their guided tour to commence. Sorry, it's not relevant to you Robo now that you're almost in SdC.

Do you need to buy the rosary on the Camino?
My favourite set are a large beaded red wood set from India. They feel so right for my hands as the beads slide through.
Maybe you should wait til you are home and the you can try a few sets and give away the ones that are not right.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back