• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Buying a SIM card in Madrid

Time of past OR future Camino
2022 Camino Norte September
Sounds just perfect to me 😊 exactly why im hitting the road again. You've summed it up perfectly
Not to hijack the thread but I will be looking to by a sim card in Madrid also. Is it available at the airport or do I need to find a store? Will be spending that night at Blue Socks Hostel.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
What's the latest opinion on the best SIM cards to buy, in terms of carrier?
The last 3 Caminos I used Vodafone and was really underwhelmed.
Even the shop staff had issues getting the data to work as it should.......
The first time cost me a fortune in constant data top ups (like 300 euro)

I used Vodafone in July and it was fantastic. It was like 100gb for 15eur. They were having a promo. And of interest to me it came with free roaming in the us so I could use it at home.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
@firstshirt
Vodafone are pretty reliable I’ve found.
They often have specials running.
Late April this year (see attachment); I took the ‘M plan’ for 15 euros- which had much more than I’d ever need. I also made use of a lot of the 800minutes of free international calls to family in Australia who don’t use wifi.

(I also have a Vodafone plan here in oz for mobile. If I choose to I can continue to use my home plan sim in most overseas regions ; for $5 au per day for any days I need to use it. - I generally use that idea on my arrival day and departure day but get Spanish sim in the middle. )

Then, of course you have free wifi in many places in spain , and I use ‘maps me’ app for my gps tracks - mostly quiet routes .. which will work without any sim. Ie. Leave my phone in ‘flight mode’ .

Attachments

• 9C1DA048-732E-4774-9A02-E5E70AB9B7B3.jpeg
    9C1DA048-732E-4774-9A02-E5E70AB9B7B3.jpeg
    174.7 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
If your phone will take an eSim try airalo.com . I have used them with great success in South American and Europe (Spain earlier this year). Feel free to message me if you have questions.... I also have a discount code if you are interested.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
If your phone will take an eSim try airalo.com . I have used them with great success in South American and Europe (Spain earlier this year). Feel free to message me if you have questions.... I also have a discount code if you are interested.
This is much more expensive than the Vodafone package mentioned by @OzAnnie and only gives you data. I would not recommend this company.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Not to hijack the thread but I will be looking to by a sim card in Madrid also. Is it available at the airport or do I need to find a store? Will be spending that night at Blue Socks Hostel.
I purchased a Sim card at Vodaphone in Portugal for 20 Euros and 10GB of data for 4 weeks when we did the Camino Portuguese in May. I took a old iphone putting the Sim card in that phone while I still had and used my current phone with my current carrier for texting, facetime etc. It worked beautifully and it continued to work in both Spain and France

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
If your camino is going to include some remote sections, Ender (camino angel of the Salvador and Olvidado) recommends Movistar. He and other Spanish friends say it has the best overall coverage in Spain. I had used Movistar for years, and found the staff to be rude in several different stores all over — Valencia, Bilbao, etc. So I switched to Vodafone, and have been very happy with their service. But I have had a few spots on the Olvidado where Vodafone had no coverage and I was able to use a local resident’s phone with Movistar.

Both Vodafone and Movistar have coverage maps, but it may be too much detail.

This is much more expensive than the Vodafone package mentioned by @OzAnnie and only gives you data. I would not recommend this company.

That is correct, it is only a data sim. I only needed data as I wanted to use my regular service for calls/messages while on wifi. I used whatsapp for almost all other communications so your mileage my vary but for me this has worked extremely well.

I came to Spain in July. I did my online research before the trip and found that getting a sim at the airport was a rip-off. I took a bus to Atocha (my hotel was around there) and bought a Vodafone sim at a newsagency at the train station. It's the 15€ plan mentioned above, including lots of data plus calls within Europe, for 28 days. It was easy to add another 15€ of credit a couple of days before expiry, and it was automatically renewed. Works great for me!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I have used both Vodafone and Orange. Never had a problem with either one. I just go to a shop in Madrid and check out the plans and pick one. Make sure you have your passport and they will do the rest. I now use Vodafone because it is super easy to recharge my phone at the end of the month. They both have options and just check them out before you go and pick the one that fits you best. I have never had a problem with either one. If you can speak some Spanish it will make things a lot easier when you are in the store.

If your camino is going to include some remote sections, Ender (camino angel of the Salvador and Olvidado) recommends Movistar. He and other Spanish friends say it has the best overall coverage in Spain. I had used Movistar for years, and found the staff to be rude in several different stores all over — Valencia, Bilbao, etc. So I switched to Vodafone, and have been very happy with their service. But I have had a few spots on the Olvidado where Vodafone had no coverage and I was able to use a local resident’s phone with Movistar.

Both Vodafone and Movistar have coverage maps, but it may be too much detail.

I now use Vodfaone. Last year on the VDLP I never had a problem anytime I had to open my phone to have a signal or for data. I have to say I do not refer to it that much when I am walking. Only when I am confused on which way to walk or to call ahead to see if an albergue/hostel is open.

I arrived on Monday, Aug 29. Have a US iPhone. Waited in line at Vodafone Pamplona for an hour then they told me they were all out of pre-paid cards! Went to Movistar, waited 5 min for clerk, 10€ for 30 gb data per month, pre-paid sim card. (not e-sim) They were great, I had the Spanish plan up and running 10 min later.

Attachments

• FE1B7785-72A5-4668-B417-9BAD1981D608.jpeg
    FE1B7785-72A5-4668-B417-9BAD1981D608.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 15
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I arrived on Monday, Aug 29. Have a US iPhone. Waited in line at Vodafone Pamplona for an hour then they told me they were all out of pre-paid cards! Went to Movistar, waited 5 min for clerk, 10€ for 30 gb data per month, pre-paid sim card. (not e-sim) They were great, I had the Spanish plan up and running 10 min later.

My research seems to point to Movistar as well.
Are they easy to do data top ups? I use a lot of data! (uploading video)

I wonder if I can buy a Movistar SIM at Atocha station in Madrid?
Will be passing through en route to Sevilla.

Circling back to the OP's question!

My research seems to point to Movistar as well.
Are they easy to do data top ups? I use a lot of data! (uploading video)
Looks like a really good plan. I too wonder how easy it is to recharge? The reason I switched from Orange to Vodafone was the ease of recharging. I will be walking for more than four weeks and if Robo is walking the VDLP and uploading video he will be gone for more than 4 weeks too.

Vodaphone is currently running a special for 50 GB at 10 euros for 4 weeks, with ability to top off easily. Working well for me on the Francés right now.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Looks like a really good plan. I too wonder how easy it is to recharge? The reason I switched from Orange to Vodafone was the ease of recharging. I will be walking for more than four weeks and if Robo is walking the VDLP and uploading video he will be gone for more than 4 weeks too.
Very easy to add more data for another month. Text a number they give you, enter credit card info, auto add another month for 10€. I asked them that question.

Available at the airport and easy to find. I just asked around and someone finally directed me to a store upstairs.

In Madrid now, bought a sim today. I wanted one with a Spanish number, although you can get by pretty well with just data. I got an esim at Orange today (no need to remove my own sim and make sure I don't lose it because phone allows both). I will be in Spain after the Camino, too. This one was 20 euros for 28 days, with some ridiculous amount of data (I want to say 100 gb or something), but she said that when I renew it for the next month, it will give me other options that involve lower data and a lower price for the next month. I didn't think 20 was all that bad for 28 days of basically unlimited calling (5000 minutes, I think), texting, and tons of data, so I just went with this one rather than shopping around more. I have used Orange before and had a good experience.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
In Madrid now, bought a sim today. I wanted one with a Spanish number, although you can get by pretty well with just data. I got an esim at Orange today (no need to remove my own sim and make sure I don't lose it because phone allows both). I will be in Spain after the Camino, too. This one was 20 euros for 28 days, with some ridiculous amount of data (I want to say 100 gb or something), but she said that when I renew it for the next month, it will give me other options that involve lower data and a lower price for the next month. I didn't think 20 was all that bad for 28 days of basically unlimited calling (5000 minutes, I think), texting, and tons of data, so I just went with this one rather than shopping around more. I have used Orange before and had a good experience.
i'am landing at Madrid airport this Tuesday May 16 and taking bus to Atocha Train station so good to here I can can a SIM card at either.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.