• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Buying a sleeping bag in Leon for June?

holhum

Time of past OR future Camino
Planning for Leon to Santiago June 2019
I am walking in June, starting in Leon and as I feel the cold I was going to bring a lightweight sleeping bag as I gather not all the abergues provide blankets. I’m doing other travel in Europe first (and flying from Australia) where it won’t be needed so was thinking of maybe just buying one in Leon. Is that realistic? I don’t even know the names of camping stores in Europe to do any prior research as to cost or where to find a store. I don’t want to waste a day on this, just grab one and get walking! Thanks.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Since you have a few months before you leave, you have a much better chance now of finding a sleeping bag that you like and that has the best combination of being compact and light weight. People will tell you that you can buy all the supplies and equipment that you need in Spain which is true, but you cannot always find what you need at the exact time that you need it. I find it better to be prepared.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I have a very lightweight (half a kilo) bag that packs down into an attached stuff sack - it's hardly bigger than a drink bottle. Even at the sale price it was not cheap (it's a Macpac one) but as it was a lifetime purchase I didn't mind and feel I've got my money's worth from it! I'd much prefer to carry a bag and wander round Leon than spend my time there shopping!

I am walking in June, starting in Leon and as I feel the cold I was going to bring a lightweight sleeping bag as I gather not all the abergues provide blankets. I’m doing other travel in Europe first (and flying from Australia) where it won’t be needed so was thinking of maybe just buying one in Leon. Is that realistic? I don’t even know the names of camping stores in Europe to do any prior research as to cost or where to find a store. I don’t want to waste a day on this, just grab one and get walking! Thanks.

Do a Google search ‘tiendas de camping en Leon, Spain’. I found 3 shops, the last 2 being the more promising.... The pilgrim shop has a search in English, otherwise a sleeping bag is ‘saco de dormir’.
Good luck!8BA09BEB-60EC-496F-8853-B9E43A39DBBD.png

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I have a very lightweight (half a kilo) bag that packs down into an attached stuff sack - it's hardly bigger than a drink bottle. Even at the sale price it was not cheap (it's a Macpac one) but as it was a lifetime purchase I didn't mind and feel I've got my money's worth from it! I'd much prefer to carry a bag and wander round Leon than spend my time there shopping!
Do you know which version Macpac you have ? On their site I can't determine which one packs down that small. Thanks!

Do you know which version Macpac you have ? On their site I can't determine which one packs down that small. Thanks!
Escapade Down 150. I was lucky to get mine for just under $100 - I suspect because they were about to change the colourway. I've never seen it that price since (not that I look all the time!)
I can take a picture if you like.

@brambles
That’s a standard Agee jar (with fruit mince for next Christmas!!) on the left.
I can put my hands around the circumference and have my longest fingers and thumbs meet.6FE1A4B1-1141-4480-B4BC-F288F1439CF3.jpeg

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
It looks like I can buy one of those here in Australia for $181. I have time to look around for an equivalent bag but that seems to be roughly what you need to spend for an ultralight sleeping bag. Thanks!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I never found June on the Camino Frances to be cold, and at times full albergues get quite warm inside the sleeping area at night, but I do understand the comfort of having a bag of some type to sleep in.
I would recommend getting the lightest, summer weight sleeping bag you can find and certainly no need to spend more that say 50-75 euros for one, unless you want to spend more. If it weighs more than half a kilo or bigger than a two litre bottle, it is too big and too heavy.
I am sure there is an outdoor shoppe in Leon you can get a bag at a reasonable price, but you may spend some time finding it. If you do take that route, pre-plan and know exactly where the shoppe is and see what inventory they have online beforehand.

I've done business with two Leon sporting goods shops, and each one treated me respectfully and well: Deportes Cordoba and Alpamayo Sport. They are both conveniently located in city center -- but off the beaten path, and I should think that the vast majority of their customers are locals.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Perhaps you will be near a Decathlon store during your 'other travel in Europe first'.

I will be on an organised tour and a cruise first (jamming a lot in as it is so expensive and time consuming flying from Australia). I have a couple of free days in Rome though so I can investigate buying one there....great idea! Thanks.
Perhaps you will be near a Decathlon store during your 'other travel in Europe first'.

There is a camping/hiking shop not so far from the cathedral, I bought a Deuter 600 grm bag there which did me in May as the weather turned very cold (sleet in Leon ,snow in Foncebadon).The price was 65 Euros which is only to be expected from a brand name but it is actually no better than another I got over Amazon for 20 Euros. In June you will probably only need a liner and the albergues we stayed at from Leon to Molinaseca (over the mountain) all had blankets in 2013. There is a sport shop on Calle la Rua which could be the place, but I would probably use it as a last resort after checking the weather forecast.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I walked in June last year, and as a person who can get chilly at night, I debated taking a sleeping bag; however, in the end I took only a silk sleeping bag liner plus a fleece blanket that I made, cutting it a bit larger than my liner, then attaching plastic snaps to them so the fleece wouldn't slide off the silk at night. I got the idea from someone who had done a similar thing online. It was perfect, and I got to pick out my own unique fabric - Library Llama! Somewhere I have a photo of the finished product. I'll post when I find it.

Attachments

• 20180501_161108.jpg
    20180501_161108.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 13
There is a camping/hiking shop not so far from the cathedral, I bought a Deuter 600 grm bag there which did me in May as the weather turned very cold (sleet in Leon ,snow in Foncebadon).The price was 65 Euros which is only to be expected from a brand name but it is actually no better than another I got over Amazon for 20 Euros. In June you will probably only need a liner and the albergues we stayed at from Leon to Molinaseca (over the mountain) all had blankets in 2013. There is a sport shop on Calle la Rua which could be the place, but I would probably use it as a last resort after checking the weather forecast.
Thanks for that info. Yes a lot might depend on the weather which won’t be obvious until after I’ve left Australia, so I might be best to just assume I will find a bag IF I really need it, and just take a liner with me.

I don't think you'll need a bag in June, especially if you have some sort of warm jacket (down/fleece) that can double as a sleeping layer. Additionally, you might just ask a flight attendant if you can have the blanket from your long and expensive flight from Australia. That, placed inside your liner so it won't fall off in the middle of the night, plus a jacket, would probably be enough even in the rare alburgue without blankets (pilgrims stacked in bunk beds really do generate an amazing amount of body heat).

A selection of Camino Jewellery
We actually had one of those blankets in the house for some time as I think a relative pilferred it from the plane on a flight back to Australia! I guess we are all descended from convicts 😄 It may be a little bulky for my tiny pack but I can certainly evaluate it once on the plane. I am starting to think that I should try just a liner and I do indeed have a down jacket and I keep reading about the heat-tech line from Uniqlo as being very lightweight and effective, so a pair of their leggings might make good pyjamas and serve me on my prior travels in Europe in May which will be that bit colder. Thanks!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi, in June you just need a liner. I do this in spring and autumn, you will be fine in June with a liner and next day’s clothing if there are no blankets. I have never had a problem! A Silk liner is so much lighter than a cotton one! Good luck, Buen Camino 😊🍀👍🏼

We are planning a June walk and are probably only going to take liners. Hope we all make the right decision!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
or two or three days later in Astorga:
Deportes Huracán
Plaza Santocildes, 1, 24700 Astorga

42.455026,-6.053029 +34 9 8761 7598

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.