• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

buying a ticket for the Alsa bus and cheap hotels in Leon

marigold

Time of past OR future Camino
(2009) Sarria - Santiago; (2011) SJPP - Navarette; (2012) Logrono - Santiago;( 2013) Leon - Santiago - Finesterre
Hi, I am starting my Camino this year in Leon and I intend to get a bus from either Madrid or Asturias airports.(I'm flying from London). I don't want to buy a ticket online because often planes get delayed, and then I'd lose the money (it's about 40 E from Madrid on the 15.00). Does anyone know if it's possible to buy a ticket on the bus? I don't think it is - I've always bought them from a ticket booth before.
So then I thought it would be better to go from Oviedo because it's nearer. I've just found out that I can get a bus from the airport to Leon. But does anyone know if there is a place to buy a bus ticket at the airport (Asturias airport)?
This all seems quite complicated. Then there is the problem of arriving late in Leon. The earliest connection I can get doesn't get in until 20.05 - which would maybe be too late to get a place in an albergue. I can't book a place in either the convent or the municipal can I?
I spent ages looking for cheap hotels online, but I couldn't find anything under 33 E.
Sorry to be rambling on! My questions are: can I buy a long distance Alsa ticket on the bus or do I have to buy it in advance? Is there a place to buy a ticket at Madrid or Asturias airport? Is there any way to book a place at an albergue in Leon? Can you recommend a cheap hotel that I can book in advance (with single rooms) Thank you :D

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I'm in the same boat I'm arriving in Madrid and want to get the train or bus to Leon spend the night there and get bus to Augosta the next day to start walking

If there are seats available on the bus at the Madrid airport, the driver will sell you a ticket. I don't know about Oviedo. You cannot book the albergues in Leon. You can get a room close to 33 E, but I don't think I have seen one for less.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Actually, the place I've stayed in Leon and highly recommend, Pension Blanca, has single rooms with bath for 27 and single rooms with a shared bath (spotless, shared by two or three rooms I think) for 22. Highly recommended, and located in easy walking distance from bus or train station.

Here's what I said about it in another post:

... the Pension Blanca. http://www.pensionblanca.com/default.asp I wanted to give a special shout out for the last one, because it is very pilgrim friendly, includes breakfast in the 27 euro single room price, has a computer in the little gathering room, does laundry for 5 euros wash and dry, and allows pilgrims to use the kitchen for cooking and/or just storing stuff in the frig. Very clean. The owner is a very hard working and kind woman, Blanca. Things have been tough in the tourist industry, I hope she makes it.

The location is about 10 minutes from the cathedral on the main street that goes to the train station, about the same distance from the camino arrow at the parador as the albergue.

Said to be $32, so about 27 Euro:

Hostal Casco Antiguo
Calle del Cardenal Landázuri, 11
24003 León, Spain
987 07 40 00

Also, consider flying into Valladolid (RyanAir and Air Europa, I think... and Iberia/Spanair). It is a lot closer to Leon than Madrid or Asturias, and there are plenty of bus and train links -- I am pretty sure the Leon bus stops right at the airport.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Flights are from Stansted to (Valladolid) Leon for about £70.
There are regular buses from the airport to the city.

Thanks for your replies. I emailed the Turismo and they said that from Asturias airport I have to get one bus to Oviedo, and then another bus to Leon. I can buy a ticket in Oviedo. (Letting you know in case someone else needs the info).
Thanks for the hotel info. I have a few choices now :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Iberia/Air Nostrum has one evening flight connecting through Barcelona that takes about twelve hours! It is $276. That is it...

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thankyou, I see an ALSA bus in the afternoon but not in the morning? Are there morning buses?
do you suggest Bus or train? I will be sleeping close to the airport on the night of the 9th and want to head to leon on the morning of the 10th.

I like the train. I would suggest your decision bus or train is based on your timings.

I note there are buses leaving for Leon almost every hour during the day however not many of them stop at the airport. Most of them are leaving from Madrid Estacion Sur.

I like the train. I would suggest your decision bus or train is based on your timings.

I note there are buses leaving for Leon almost every hour during the day however not many of them stop at the airport. Most of them are leaving from Madrid Estacion Sur.
Aha..The answer..I will get to Madrid Estacion! Thanks

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The Estación Sur is not in a central part of Madrid, nor is it in one of the nicest parts of the city (I´m not suggesting danger here, just aesthetics).

I agree with our transportation maven whariwharangi on the train vs. bus decision. Trains leave from Chamartín station, which is a very quick ride on a commuter train from the airport. There are three direct morning trains at 7:45, 10:30 and 11:05, all taking about three hours. Lots of cheap tickets available for the 1th, with the lowest being 18 €. bus tickets are all at least 25€, with the ride taking at least 3.5 hours.

Buen Camino, Laurie

2012 Madrid Airport to Estacion Sur de Autobuses de Madrid

Estacion Sur de Autobuses de Madrid is located near the Méndez Álvaro Metro Station. Take line 8 from Barajas airport T1-T2-T3 or T4 to Colombia; line 9 to Avenida de America; and, line 6 to Méndez Álvaro. Exit the Metro to find the bus station.

Estacion Sur de Autobuses de Madrid
http://www.estacionautobusesmadrid.com/frameset.html

2013 Madrid Airport to bus station Moncloa

Madrid Moncloa is co-located with the Metro. Take line 8 from Barajas airport T1-T2-T3 or T4 to Nuevo Ministerios; and, line 6 to Moncloa.

Moncloa
http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Estación_de_Moncloa

Hostal Guzman - quiet, central location and they'll do your laundry too! Wonderful and accommodating.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Will I get by by not being able to speak spanish, I only know a few words.
You will get by, but it may be uncomfortable in the beginning. Smile. Use hand gestures. Keep it simple. Repeating a concept in increasingly complex English with lots of synonyms won't help. Louder is not clearer.

While it will be rare to get a clerk who speaks English, they are all familiar with selling tickets to foreigners. Say the name of your destination with a por favor, and they will know what you want. For trains the response may be to ask for the class level of your seat. Look at the renfe.com site before you go and familiarize yourself with the choices. Turista class is most common. The bus is just one level of service for the particular bus (there are premium buses, though). It is safe to hold out some money and let the clerk take the correct fare. That works on regional and local buses as well.

Relax and realize that part of your experience is to be bewildered. It can be fun if you don't make a crisis out of it.:)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
You will get by, but it may be uncomfortable in the beginning. Smile. Use hand gestures. Keep it simple. Repeating a concept in increasingly complex English with lots of synonyms won't help. Louder is not clearer.

While it will be rare to get a clerk who speaks English, they are all familiar with selling tickets to foreigners. Say the name of your destination with a por favor, and they will know what you want. For trains the response may be to ask for the class level of your seat. Look at the renfe.com site before you go and familiarize yourself with the choices. Turista class is most common. The bus is just one level of service for the particular bus (there are premium buses, though). It is safe to hold out some money and let the clerk take the correct fare. That works on regional and local buses as well.

Relax and realize that part of your experience is to be bewildered. It can be fun if you don't make a crisis out of it.:)
Thanks Falcon. I will try expand my knowledge a bit before I come.

Say "Quiero un billete (Tourista/Preferente) ida solo a .... (destination) por favor" - I want a one way (Tourist/Preference class)m ticket to .... please. The "Tourista/Preferente" bit only if booking a train. ida= one way, Ida y Vuelta = return.

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Yes. I don't know any Spanish either , and the bus companies don't employ anyone with any languages (go figure!).
But the timetables will be posted in the window and you can always write down the date , destination and time you need. It's amazing how easy it is the communicate almost anything given context...Buon Camino! (I agree it is a bit daunting: but you will survive it!)

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
Hi - I've been waiting to book 2 June from Santiago dC to Madrid - finally the tickets are out! Funnily enough the luxury seats were cheaper than economy seats, so I took one.
I’m planning to send to Santiago a smaller bag with things I need for the flight, extra days pre/post Camino, and whatever else I decide that I won’t need. I could send it from Roncesvalles...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back