• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Buying along the route

Mary P

Time of past OR future Camino
Everyone, including me, seems to get so caught up in preparing, what to buy, etc. If one starts in Pamplona or Madrid or Lisbon, couldn't one find camino-friendly clothes and supplies en route? I would think they might be plentiful and cheaper.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Yes, there are stores enroute where you can buy things that you need as well as stores in major cities you may pass through on your way to your starting point. As for the items being plentiful and cheaper - depends on the item. Madrid, Lisbon, etc. are cities with all the stores you'd expect to find in a city.

For me, I like to have the basics that I need - clothing, shoes, pack poles, basic meds and first-aid. Then replace consumables as needed, or replace a piece of gear if what I brought turns out not to work well or breaks. I wouldn't want to get to Madrid or where ever and try to find hiking pants that fit right, a light weight jacket that I like, etc. Unless you have really good luck or are 5'-8" with an athletic build, it can take a while to track that stuff down, and things may need to be altered to fit anyway. And shoes - you definitely want to have your shoe-sock-insole combo sorted out ahead of time. A bad combo can ruin your Camino.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Yes, there are stores enroute where you can buy things that you need as well as stores in major cities you may pass through on your way to your starting point. As for the items being plentiful and cheaper - depends on the item. Madrid, Lisbon, etc. are cities with all the stores you'd expect to find in a city.

For me, I like to have the basics that I need - clothing, shoes, pack poles, basic meds and first-aid. Then replace consumables as needed, or replace a piece of gear if what I brought turns out not to work well or breaks. I wouldn't want to get to Madrid or where ever and try to find hiking pants that fit right, a light weight jacket that I like, etc. Unless you have really good luck or are 5'-8" with an athletic build, it can take a while to track that stuff down, and things may need to be altered to fit anyway. And shoes - you definitely want to have your shoe-sock-insole combo sorted out ahead of time. A bad combo can ruin your Camino.

Yes, you are right. I am finding stores (as opposed to internet) very ill-equipped here in my city, and was wondering if Spain was better, I have almost everything. Have trained in everything I have, and have found some things to change out.

Off topic, but we had to cancel our trip because of illness. Never ever buy any ticket from any agency or online source but the airline itself. Even though they get your money, they will not refund OR HOLD for future flying. Thank goodness we bought insurance. Now I have to repack for a fall trip.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I also thinks it helps to have tried out all your gear during the training, then you dont get any nasty surprises.
The only thing I didnt try out first, a poncho, turned out to be such a failure I eventually threw it away. My own fault for not taking it out of the packet and trying it on before I went. I thought "its only a poncho, it doesn't actually have to fit" , and I was so wrong.

Last edited:
Plus the stores you are lucky enough to find are often closed because it’s Sunday....or Monday....or siesta....or on holiday....or.....

Yes, you can buy everything you need upon arrival. There are outdoor shops in all the bigger cities and even in some medium sized ones.
The Camino require little to no technical hiking gear, but does require for most the ability to pack smart, which means as light as possible.
You will see pilgrims walking the route in all manner of clothing and equipment. There are some that look like they are ready to tackle the summit of Everest. Huge packs. Alpine boots. Bells, compasses, bottles etc hanging off their packs and persons. Then there are others you see walking in cheap sandals or deck shoes, cotton clothing and frameless, small packs. Most you see are somewhere in the middle and pretty much most of them despite what they are carrying arrive in Santiago.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Must say I found it quite hard in Spain to know where to go for things. When you live in a country you get a feel for what part of town they will sell certian kinds of items. Trying to find just normal underwear, even in a big town like Burgos was quite a mission. And keep in mind you won't have a car and might not want to go wandering around an unfamiliar town after a long day's walking trying to find the right shop.

Pretty tricky really - except! The French outdoor chain, Decathlon - really good quality and range and seriously good pricing too! - have a few stores in Spain, some of them on Camino.
You could turn up with a wallet and toothbrush and walk out fully kitted for Camino, whether walking, cycling, or horse riding.

Stores - Pamplona, Estella, Logrono, Burgos, Ponferrada and, a little late, Santiago.

Here their Spanish Decathlon website. (If you use Google Chrome browser it will automatically translate it).

https://www.decathlon.es/

Buen Camino!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
There are indeed a number of stores catering to hikers along the Camino Frances. I bought hiking poles, a technical shirt, and innumerable replacements for the rubber pole tips at stores along the way. That said, some things you will definitely want to buy in advance, like your shoes and backpack. An advantage to buying before, as has been pointed out, is that you can train for the walk ahead of time wearing and carrying what you will have with you on the trail.

There are indeed a number of stores catering to hikers along the Camino Frances. I bought hiking poles, a technical shirt, and innumerable replacements for the rubber pole tips at stores along the way. That said, some things you will definitely want to buy in advance, like your shoes and backpack. An advantage to buying before, as has been pointed out, is that you can train for the walk ahead of time wearing and carrying what you will have with you on the trail.
Hi. Help please about to enter Estella and need to buy shoes any ideas? Thank you!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Unless you have really good luck or are 5'-8" with an athletic build, it can take a while to track that stuff down,
I am 5'8" with an "athletic" build, and I have trouble finding things I like at home, let alone finding them in a foreign country. I agree that you should bring the basics and replenish consumables as needed.

In a small shop with an old man, by the main square in Castrojeriz, 2nd day after Burgos, you can buy the best walking socks EVER. I always buy a pair there. Cushioned, seamless, perfect. Brand name Lorpen. I never use anything else, regarding socks, on my Caminos. Other than that, Spain has a lot of quality products you can buy, cheaper than at home. Pack veeery light, and buy on the way, what you miss.

Think about it: The Camino Frances is probably the most popular hike in the world. You can buy anything you really need for your walk.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.