• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

buying bus tickets online?

GinaMarie

Time of past OR future Camino
hello, we're heading on Camino late September. Flying into Madrid, then (next day or so) taking the bus to Astorga, where we'll hit the trail. A quick question: I've been to the ALSA website (www.alsa.es) & viewed bus schedules & prices. I notice you can buy tickets online ... does anyone have any feedback on whether or not this is a good idea? We are planning to catch the bus in Madrid at the airport: are tickets likely to be sold out ahead of time?
Many thanks!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I hope it's a good idea, bought ours on line. I did print out the confirmation and have it on my phone (e-mail) as well.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I notice you can buy tickets online ... does anyone have any feedback on whether or not this is a good idea? We are planning to catch the bus in Madrid at the airport: are tickets likely to be sold out ahead of time?

Hi, it’s fine to book Alsa bus tickets online. Print out the ticket and take with you.
The buses can get full.
I booked a ticket online for a bus from Madrid T4 to León. My sister met me at T4 but couldn’t get on the same bus as it was full. She managed to buy a ticket at the Alsa counter for the next bus (2 hours later) and she said that was also full.
Jill

I booked online. No problems. ALSA and other bus companies also have ticket vending machines at the bus stations. After my camino I travelled around a bit. I used these with no problems when purchasing tickets a day or two ahead.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I have booked alsa and other bus tickets in Spain online in advance and if taking a longish journey I would always do this as the buses can fill up quite readily. Some companies allow u to cancel with refund quite late if you cant travel but you might need to join their loyalty scheme (which is worth doing anyway). My daughter had a difficult experience with alsa this year when she brought her e ticket via her smartphone, and the driver had a lengthy and stroppy tantrum insisting he needed a paper ticket or nothing. He eventually relented which was a relieve as she had a plane to catch, and I made a complaint to alsa for which I received an written apology. So point of this post is to warn anyone to make sure you print off your ticket as well.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
My wife (the brains behind our Camino Planning) has bought tickets in advance from ALSA with no issues. Driver looks at our tickets printed at home and their is never an issue.
She found that she had to pay via PayPal and for security reasons they now ask for your passport number when setting up your account with them.
We have always been impressed with ALSA, from our experience so far they seem like a well run operation and we have had absolutely no issues with them over our four Camino's so far.

I recently tried booking tickets online at the ALSA website. The payment transaction failed as I received a message that they wouldn't authorise payment from a credit card not issued in Spain!!! Fortunately I was able to book the same bus journey from the GoEuro website. A bit of a shame because you are able to pick your seat position on the ALSA site but not on the GoEuro site.

I recently tried booking tickets online at the ALSA website. The payment transaction failed as I received a message that they wouldn't authorise payment from a credit card not issued in Spain!!! Fortunately I was able to book the same bus journey from the GoEuro website. A bit of a shame because you are able to pick your seat position on the ALSA site but not on the GoEuro site.

We found the same thing booking from Canada. They will process PayPal transactions so that is what we use each time we buy tickets. You can reserve seats with PayPal with no issues.

Last edited by a moderator:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
We found the same thing booking from Canada. They will process PayPal transactions so that is what we nice each rime we buy tickets. You can reserve seats with PayPal with no issues.
I didn't try using PayPal. I'll remember that next time I reserve seats with ALSA. Many Thanks for the info.

hello, we're heading on Camino late September. Flying into Madrid, then (next day or so) taking the bus to Astorga, where we'll hit the trail. A quick question: I've been to the ALSA website (www.alsa.es) & viewed bus schedules & prices. I notice you can buy tickets online ... does anyone have any feedback on whether or not this is a good idea? We are planning to catch the bus in Madrid at the airport: are tickets likely to be sold out ahead of time?
Many thanks!
I have used the Omio app. It's in English and serves a variety of bus and rail companies.

Here is all I can tell you... In all the years I’ve walked the Camino, I have never purchased bus ticket ahead of time for myself. When I’m buying for a group of 8-15, yes, but not for a single or double ticket. And I’ve never NOT been able to get a seat.

It’s also cheaper to buy at the station.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
All is well booking on line, but if you miss a bus connection you are SOL. Also if you are crossing a border you need an A4 paper copy of your ticket. The confirmation on your phone is not sufficient for some reason, even though I have gotten away with it.

Also if you are crossing a border you need an A4 paper copy of your ticket. The confirmation on your phone is not sufficient for some reason, even though I have gotten away with it.
I bought my Santiago - Porto ticket on the Flixbus app, and didn't need a paper copy.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I have taken the bus from Terminal 4, Madrid airport several times and there has usually been a long line-up waiting to get tickets. It is therefore possible that you might miss your bus while waiting to buy a ticket. In my opinion, it would be better to have your ticket purchased in advance, even if you risk missing your bus if your plane is late or arrival procedures take longer than anticipated.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...
Hi All, I have booked a walking week away from home arriving in Porto on 9th May at 19.10 (all being well). My initial intention was travel to Vigo by train and walk to Santiago, returning to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back