Search 57,387 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Donation to the Forum
A donation to this forum helps it continue to exists and also removes all ads for you.
When you walk the Camino, and suddenly a pandemic appears

Buying Camino Guide In Porto

AndreaFisterra

Past OR future Camino
I walked the Camino Frances. Planning on the Portugues one next.
Hello Pilgrims!
I won't have time to order online any guides before I leave for my CP. Where in Porto can I find them? English preferred :)
Thank you.

Camino Jewellery
A selection of Camino Jewellery
how to successfully prepare for your Camino
This book's focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared.

jsalt

Jill
Past OR future Camino
Portugués, Francés, LePuy, Rota Vicentina, Norte, Madrid, C2C, Salvador, Primitivo, Aragonés, Inglés
Hello Pilgrims!
I won't have time to order online any guides before I leave for my CP. Where in Porto can I find them? English preferred :)
Thank you.
Hi, this bookshop in Porto sells the Brierley guides:

Livraria Bertrand - La Vie Porto

Address: La Vie Porto Baixa, Loja 0.18, 0.19, Rua de Fernandes Tomás nº 506/508, 4000-211 Porto, Portugal, Phone: +351 21 030 5590

https://www.bertrand.pt/pesquisa/john+brierley

trecile

Camino Addict
Past OR future Camino
Francés (2016 & 2017), Norte (2018), Francés-Salvador-Norte (2019), Portuguese (2019)
You’re on a smartphone?

wise pilgrim
Several apps
Wise Pilgrim
Buen Camino
Camino Ninja

The Gronze website - use Chrome browser to translate to English. Make sure to check out the "Recorrido" and "Al Loro" ("Route" and "to the Parrot" in English) sections for more information about each stage.
Screenshot_20210725-155615_Firefox.jpg Screenshot_20210725-160002_Chrome.jpg

AndreaFisterra

Past OR future Camino
I walked the Camino Frances. Planning on the Portugues one next.
Hi, this bookshop in Porto sells the Brierley guides:

Livraria Bertrand - La Vie Porto

Address: La Vie Porto Baixa, Loja 0.18, 0.19, Rua de Fernandes Tomás nº 506/508, 4000-211 Porto, Portugal, Phone: +351 21 030 5590

https://www.bertrand.pt/pesquisa/john+brierley
Several apps
Wise Pilgrim
Buen Camino
Camino Ninja

The Gronze website - use Chrome browser to translate to English. Make sure to check out the "Recorrido" and "Al Loro" ("Route" and "to the Parrot" in English) sections for more information about each stage.
View attachment 105663 View attachment 105664
Thank you for the apps. I'll take a look. On the caminos, I find I don't want to use my smartphone too much :) Gronze sounds like a great local source.

wisepilgrim

Guidebook Author
Past OR future Camino
Many
Several apps
Wise Pilgrim
Buen Camino
Camino Ninja

View attachment 105663 View attachment 105664
You can also use the wisepilgrim site and save yourself the translating. ;)

Learn how to Get "Camino Ready " 2nd Edition. In English, Spanish, German and Korean
When you walk the Camino, and suddenly a pandemic appears

wisepilgrim

Guidebook Author
Past OR future Camino
Many
True, but for the Wise Pilgrim info one might as well use the app, no?

Some of us like multiple sources of info to check (says the man who currently has over 20 Camino-related apps on his phone, not to mention various e-book guides).
It all depends on how you are browsing for information. At home on a computer I find websites to be more helpful.

alexwalker

Forever Pilgrim
Past OR future Camino
(2009): Camino Frances
(2011): Sevilla-Salamanca, VdlP
(2012): Salamanca-SdC, VdlP
(2014): SJpdP-Astorga
(2015): Astorga-SdC
(2016) May Pamplona-Moratinos; Sept.:Burgos-SdC
(2016): August/Sept: Camino San Olav (Burgos-Covarubbias), Burgos-Sarria
(2017): May: Portuguese; Sept: Pamplona-SdC
I use the Wise pilgrim apps. IMHO they are great. But I am an old school man and like to read paper (books) in the afternoons with a glass or two to go with. I like both worlds.

RJM

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
A few times
I use the Wise pilgrim apps. IMHO they are great. But I am an old school man and like to read paper (books) in the afternoons with a glass or two to go with. I like both worlds.
Me too. Nothing like the real thing. Also I just cannot bring myself to be"that guy". A pilgrim with their face constantly buried in a device. So detached IMO. I actually watched a pilgrim walking with their face in a device so unaware he walked off of the sidewalk in a town, stepped off a tall curb and fell to the ground.

alexwalker

Forever Pilgrim
Past OR future Camino
(2009): Camino Frances
(2011): Sevilla-Salamanca, VdlP
(2012): Salamanca-SdC, VdlP
(2014): SJpdP-Astorga
(2015): Astorga-SdC
(2016) May Pamplona-Moratinos; Sept.:Burgos-SdC
(2016): August/Sept: Camino San Olav (Burgos-Covarubbias), Burgos-Sarria
(2017): May: Portuguese; Sept: Pamplona-SdC
Me too. Nothing like the real thing. Also I just cannot bring myself to be"that guy". A pilgrim with their face constantly buried in a device. So detached IMO. I actually watched a pilgrim walking with their face in a device so unaware he walked off of the sidewalk in a town, stepped off a tall curb and fell to the ground.
😂 On several occations I have had to stop my car to avoid running down people who just walked out in the street, looking at their phone, with earplugs in their ears...

Donation to the Forum
A donation to this forum helps it continue to exists and also removes all ads for you.
Rent a house in Santiago (1 month minimum)
300m from the cathedral and around the corner from the fresh food market in Santiago. Perfect place to tele commute from (1GB symmetrical connection).

Camino Chrissy

Take one step forward...then keep on walking..
Past OR future Camino
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
Portuguese/FishermanTr. 2019
*A relative of mine was looking at her phone while walking down some steps. She tripped and fell, breaking her ankle.
*A young man I knew was killed in a traffic accident; he was texting while driving on an interstate.

A reminder to not use our devices while in motion...on foot or behind the wheel.

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 101 ratings
Downloads
Updated
A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés Ton van Tilburg
Favorite Albergues along the Camino Frances
4.83 star(s) 35 ratings
Downloads