• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Buying credenciales for subsequent caminos

henrythedog

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Many in the past and, God willing; more to come
Quite a number of threads posted by second-timers ask ‘where can I get a credencial in x?’

It’s worth bearing in mind that when arriving in Santiago and claiming your Compostela - if you choose to do - that you can buy new credencials at the pilgrim reception office. I always keep a few spares at home in case the opportunity presents itself unexpectedly.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
That is a great idea! Could inspire others.
People really value that, if they are undecissive and you give them one credential, they see it as a sign and feel more determined to take the leap! The problem is when some thing of you as a credential provider and come back to you time after time for more, that is not what I was meaning todo!

Absolutely, go for it! Of course, there are "collectibles" printed for special years and by different confraternities but why muck them up with a bunch of stamps, perspiration and rain damage; when you hang onto their covers as mementos of your years on the Camino. I have a few for sure and just added to my collection with a new one from the albergue in Lisbon.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
In France at least, this is not such an easy thing to get a new "blank" credential (in order to give it to someone else). For some mysterious reasons I did not succeed to clarify yet, hospitaleros or welcoming people are reluctant to deliver a credencial without writing the name of the recipient on it. Are they afraid of a credencial traffic ?
If you are not a member of an association, this is not so easy to get a credencial for someone else...

Absolutely, go for it! Of course, there are "collectibles" printed for special years and by different confraternities but why muck them up with a bunch of stamps, perspiration and rain damage; when you hang onto their covers as mementos of your years on the Camino. I have a few for sure and just added to my collection with a new one from the albergue in Lisbon.
Yes! I have the standard one that I used on the Frances in 2021. I have a "Holy Year" one that I used on the Norte/Primitivo in 2022. And I haven't used mine from the American pilgrim association yet - will use that one next time! But nice to have different credentials.

When I worked in Zamora at the albergue, a gentleman came in and bought a number of credentials. He was giving them as a surprise Christmas gift to his girlfriend, parents, brother, and sister in law as a way of saying "we're doing a Camino together". (He also taught us how to use Google translate on that visit.)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Yes! I have the standard one that I used on the Frances in 2021. I have a "Holy Year" one that I used on the Norte/Primitivo in 2022. And I haven't used mine from the American pilgrim association yet - will use that one next time! But nice to have different credentials.
I wanted the “Holy Year” edition for the walking the Primitivo in September!
They were totally sold out in the online store, but I managed to get one from a Dutch Pilgrim website, Camino Confort!
I thought for a “Special Edition” the credential was a little disappointing! The cover art was very “cut & paste” and the inside was rather plan!
The albergue I stayed at in Salas, had free Asturian credentials available!

I always pick up extra Credenciales to give to future Peregrinos, what a joy to see their faces light up. Strangely on my last Camino, after doing a last minute unplanned for “rouge” mini Invierno from Diomondi, I was so thrilled to arrive at La oficina de Peregrinos, I forgot to get extras. Realized it on the flight back home. 😂🤣 I hope there is one hiding somewhere in my Camino stuff.

I wanted the “Holy Year” edition for the walking the Primitivo in September!
They were totally sold out in the online store, but I managed to get one from a Dutch Pilgrim website, Camino Confort!
I thought for a “Special Edition” the credential was a little disappointing! The cover art was very “cut & paste” and the inside was rather plan!
The albergue I stayed at in Salas, had free Asturian credentials available!
Yeah - it wasn't anything special other than it said it was for the Holy Year - still - nice to have different looking credentials for when I eventually frame them.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.