• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Buying equipment in San Sebastian

lt56ny

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2023 Vasco, Meseta, Portugues Coastal
Hi fellow Pilgrims of the Norte!

I am arriving in San Sebastian on September 15th. I was planning to bring my backpack on the plane and put my hiking poles and my Swiss Army Knife in a box and checking it. Now I can't find my hiking poles. I have torn my house inside and out and I think they walked away. I will still put my Knife in a box and check it but I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't make it.
I should be in the city of San Sebastian by 1PM on Saturday, so I should have time to buy new poles. I know there are a few outdoor stores in the city. Any suggestions for the best place to shop? (Also, I know a lot of stores are closed Sunday, anyone know the answer if these kinds of stores are open? Just in case I have delays and arrive really late.) My old poles were very light and very basic but worked great for me. I can't remember what brand they were. Also if my knife doesn't make it on the flight can I buy a new Swiss Army Knife in one of these stores. Please any help, guidance etc would be wonderful! Thanks and Buen Camino to everyone.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi fellow Pilgrims of the Norte!

I am arriving in San Sebastian on September 15th. I was planning to bring my backpack on the plane and put my hiking poles and my Swiss Army Knife in a box and checking it. Now I can't find my hiking poles. I have torn my house inside and out and I think they walked away. I will still put my Knife in a box and check it but I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't make it.
I should be in the city of San Sebastian by 1PM on Saturday, so I should have time to buy new poles. I know there are a few outdoor stores in the city. Any suggestions for the best place to shop? (Also, I know a lot of stores are closed Sunday, anyone know the answer if these kinds of stores are open? Just in case I have delays and arrive really late.) My old poles were very light and very basic but worked great for me. I can't remember what brand they were. Also if my knife doesn't make it on the flight can I buy a new Swiss Army Knife in one of these stores. Please any help, guidance etc would be wonderful! Thanks and Buen Camino to everyone.
There are three El Corte Ingles shops in San Sebastian (in Madrid I bought a Swiss army knife but I don't know for San Sebastian) and one Decathlon shop but they are closed on Sundays. I guess you will be able to visit one of El Corte Ingles (till 5pm) and Decathlon (till 9;30pm) on Saturday. They have wide variety of knives:
https://www.decathlon.es/search.html#text=cuchillo&max_files=50&sort_by=

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi,

Are you walking the Norte from there? or heading over to SJPDP?
If heading to SJPDP, there are many places to buy poles there.

You should have no problem finding poles in Sebastian. Thanks to the tourists ,,,and other reasons... Sebastian is becoming one the most expensive cites in Spain!

I love it there! Great city and nice people there. Good food. Take a day or so to see it. Enjoy.

If you are walking the Norte, why not start from Irun? About two day walk Irun to Sebastian. Some have done it in one. But it is a butt kicker. The first week is.

I stopped carrying a Swiss knife years ago. Haven't missed it. Hardly used it. and one less plane check in hassle.
Now take a Sea-to-Summit super light weight knife, spoon and fork set. Love it. Can be carried in carry on bag.
See 'em at Rei.com or Sea-to-Summit's web page.

Take care.

Enjoy

In 2017 I needed something in San Sebastián, but I can't remember what it was, maybe new socks. I very much loved this store and wished I had needed more! http://www.izadi.net/

Hours say open 4-8:00 pm on Saturday so that should give you time.

It's a high end place, no doubt about it, but the people who helped me were true aficionados and not just out to sell me something.
Plus, it was a beautiful walk from my little pensión on a sunny day.

There is also a Decathlon City for cheaper options. Buen camino, Laurie

Hi,

Are you walking the Norte from there? or heading over to SJPDP?
If heading to SJPDP, there are many places to buy poles there.

You should have no problem finding poles in Sebastian. Thanks to the tourists ,,,and other reasons... Sebastian is becoming one the most expensive cites in Spain!

I love it there! Great city and nice people there. Good food. Take a day or so to see it. Enjoy.

If you are walking the Norte, why not start from Irun? About two day walk Irun to Sebastian. Some have done it in one. But it is a butt kicker. The first week is.

I stopped carrying a Swiss knife years ago. Haven't missed it. Hardly used it. and one less plane check in hassle.
Now take a Sea-to-Summit super light weight knife, spoon and fork set. Love it. Can be carried in carry on bag.
See 'em at Rei.com or Sea-to-Summit's web page.

Take care.

Enjoy
I wrote you back did you receive the message. I do not see it here that is weird

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
In 2017 I needed something in San Sebastián, but I can't remember what it was, maybe new socks. I very much loved this store and wished I had needed more! http://www.izadi.net/

Hours say open 4-8:00 pm on Saturday so that should give you time.

It's a high end place, no doubt about it, but the people who helped me were true aficionados and not just out to sell me something.
Plus, it was a beautiful walk from my little pensión on a sunny day.

There is also a Decathlon City for cheaper options. Buen camino, Laurie
I just checked out that store and yes it looks like it has everything and is well stocked and yes expensive. Hopefully I will have time to check out a few places as they all look close to each other.

There are three El Corte Ingles shops in San Sebastian (in Madrid I bought a Swiss army knife but I don't know for San Sebastian) and one Decathlon shop but they are closed on Sundays. I guess you will be able to visit one of El Corte Ingles (till 5pm) and Decathlon (till 9;30pm) on Saturday. They have wide variety of knives:
https://www.decathlon.es/search.html#text=cuchillo&max_files=50&sort_by=
I will check out Corte Inglis. I know they have everything. I have shopped there in the past. Thanks.

There are sporting/hiking equipment stores in Irun too.

Do search on line for them.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

Please, am I mad to contemplate the following combo: Norte: Biarritz-Bayonne-Irun-Santander (via Bayonne to get my legs going) Santander - train to Leon San Salvador - Leon to Oviedo Primitivo -...
I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
Hello everyone. I know that pre-booking accommodation has been discussed many, many times, so apologies but I wanted to be quite specific. We are walking from Irún to Bilbao in the first week of...
Considering that we were dipping ourselves in the sea in beautiful Zarautz yesterday evening it is certainly a change in weather today, however, that has not dampened our excitement of the walk...
Hello! I am visiting Northern Spain for the first time this June and would am planning on hiking a small segment of the Camino. I've done a little research and decided to hike between Zarautz and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back