• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Buying gear on the Camino

ktchnofdngr

Time of past OR future Camino
September '13, June '16, July '21, And July '22
Hi, all. I have been accumulating gear for my camino in December, and I just put what I have in my backpack to see how it will fit, as well as to weigh everything. I am still missing some of my gear, but the current skin out total is 20.5 lbs, and that doesn't include my walking poles or the gear I still need to buy! I also realized that my backpack is not as big as I thought it would be, so I'm not going to be able to tuck my poles into the pack for the flight over. Will it be possible to buy a pair of poles in SJPDP?

Thanks!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The very first reply should be....you have overpacked already!

20+ pounds is too much and you are not finished loading it up.

If you post your pacing list you will get some very good suggestions on how to cut the weight down. I do see that you are talking " skin out" so you actual pack may be close.

There are some decent equipment stores on the Camino. There are a couple in SJPdP and a new one in Pampona.

grayland said:
you have overpacked already!

I don't think there is enough information to make this assessment. As an FSO weight, it depends upon the weight of worn items and the individuals body mass, neither of which are known. Assuming 2.5kg of worn items and an extra 600gm for poles etc, it might well be okay:
  • current FSO weight - 9.3kg
  • add, say, .6kg for missing items
  • subtract 2.5kg for worn items
  • residual (ie pack weight) - 7.4kg
  • FSO weight - 9.9kg

This would be within a 20% FSO target for someone as light as 50kg, or the CSJ 15% target for someone the same weight. Even at the often repeated (but never justified) 10% target, provided the OP's body mass was 75kg or more, it would be an acceptable pack weight.

That said, I agree that if the OP posts a packing list, it is likely to generate useful suggestions about how to fine tune it to bring the weight down.

(edit) I note from the OP's other posts that she is intending to walk in Dec/Jan. I expect that there will be different clothing and equipment required for winter walking that have to be factored into any weight budget.

Regards,

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Difficult to see that much detailed assessment after your statement of "I don't think there is enough information to make this assessment.."

But as usual, you know best..
I will leave it to you.

ktchnofdngr said:
... my camino in December.. Will it be possible to buy a pair of poles in SJPDP?

Thanks!

I know that was not your question, but please be aware that it can be dangerous / impossible to get from SJPDP to Roncesvalles on the midst of winter. SY

Yes of course you can buy poles and other gear at St Jean Pied de Port. There is "La boutique du pélerin" rue de la Citadelle where you will find all that it is necessary to make the way.

Buen camino!!!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I currently weigh about 172 lbs, or 78.2 kg. My latest blog post on http://perpetualperegrino.blogspot.com/ has my list and what I don't have yet.

I'm expecting to have to carry more weight, since I'm going in the winter and warm clothes weigh more, but I was surprised that my backpack actually feels less heavy than when I have gone hiking with my dog in the past....I usually take about 6-7 l of water with me plus snacks for the 2 of us and those igloo ice bricks to keep everything cold in the summer...of course, I also have a plain old bookbag type backpack for that instead of my new pack, so the hip belt and the sternum strap could be part of that.

Even so, I'm really wanting to get as close to 15 lb in my pack as possible. My Backpack is 2 lb 14 oz, and my sleeping bag plus compression sack is 3 lb 1.5 oz, and those are really non-negotiable...I know that there are lighter of both out there, but they are WAY too expensive for my budget. In order to keep my family happy, my cell phone and iPad mini are also necessities (I will be checking in daily via text and/or blogging...), which is another 22 oz. I could reduce the number of shirts and socks I have, and ditch the extra pants for pj's, but I've been trying really hard to keep weight down, so I've been on the lookout for lightweight gear. I just don't want to wear my same clothes for the next day to bed with me, as I tend to sweat when I sleep, even if I'm cold! The problem is that each pair of socks is only 1.6 oz, and the ss shirts are 4 oz each. I can't get rid of either of my long sleeved shirts (6.5 oz each), as they are going to be necessary to stay warm--the turquoise one has a hood that is WONDERFUL for running in during winter. Each of my shoes are 14 oz, so those 28 oz will never be on my back, although they will be on my person. I could also leave the flip-flops at home (I only have them to wear in the shower--I actually hate wearing flip flops!) for another 2-3 oz savings, but I'm going to need some sort of shoe to wear in the evenings, so I really want to keep the ballet shoes. They are also only 8 oz for the pair, so not that heavy. I doubt that I can find anything lighter to replace them with. If I can figure out a way to pack my backpack so that I have room for it, I will replace the water bottle (6 oz) with a water bladder, but I really want the insulated mug, even if it is about 7 oz...I have a feeling that having something hot to drink as I walk in the morning will be crucial to keep me going!

I've also thought about ditching my camera (6.5 oz) and sticking with the camera on my iPad mini and phone, but I'm afraid about the quality of the pictures, so I'm still going back and forth about that. The power converter kit that I am going to buy will work with any USB cord, so I should be able to use it for my camera, phone, and iPad. That is the problem with all of my gear--I've done a really good job of keeping weight down, so leaving any one piece behind will only shave a few ounces off the total! Other than my backpack and sleeping bag, the heaviest pieces of gear are my fleece jacket at 12 oz, my journal at 11.5 oz, and then my running tights at 9.5 oz. Everything else is in the 4-7 oz range or less. I realize that those ounces will add up if I ditch several items, but I'm just not sure where I can do that and still be both safe and warm on my Camino! I really wish that I could do this in September or October instead, but my boss won't let me have the time off unless I take it around the week when my university is closed during Christmas Break!

Ok, I copied and pasted your packing list from your blog post for easier reference, I hope you don't mind. My thoughts on each item are - after the hyphen and in italics ;-) BTW your blog was loading painfully slow for me. you might want to consider to reduce the amount of posts showing up on the home page ... And yes, I have done winter caminos myself ...

Socks, 8 pr (4 pr regular hiking, 2 pr thin hiking, and 2 pr fuzzy socks for night) - 8 pairs of socks are overkill. Even in winter. 2 pairs of thin liner socks (they dry fast) and 3 - 4 pairs of of thick walking socks are enough. The thick ones you can wear at night and dry them out / vent them (weather permitting) on your backpack during the day.
1 pr long underwear - ok
1pr running capris - Why? Are you planning to run the camino?
1 pr running tights - See above
cetirizine (allergy meds) - ok, but do you really have allergies or is that just a precaution?
Scrubby sponge - for what?
Flip Flops - see below
comb - ok
razor - unless I got it horribly wrong, you are a woman, so why do you need a razor?
glue stick - FOR WHAT???
head lamp - Your are doing a winter camino, no need to start before sunrise and enter the race for a bed ;-)
bandannas (2) - One maximum
Waterproof matches - No, you are not going at a survival trip, no need to take those.
Insulated mug - ok
Water bottle - use a nice PET bottle instead and insulate with newspaper / alu foil DIY style
Camera - ok
ballet shoes - no, for a winter camino, not all refuges have heating, they are far to thin. Replace them and the flipflops with crogs or normal hiking sandals.
fleece jacket - ok
Long sleeved shirt (2) - ok, perhaps more see below
Short sleeved shirts (3) - one short sleeved one will be enough, take instead one additional long sleeved one with you.
Sports bra (2) - ok
Fleece Scarf - ok, but if you take that, you could also leave your bandana at home.
Gloves - ok
Beanie hat - ok
Towel - ok, make sure it is a light one
Dr. Bronners - that is soap, correct? ok
Soap Caddy - use a zip lock bag instead, lighter
Soap - why again soap?
Journal - ok
Feminine Pads - ok, but just a few, you can buy them in Spain as Spanish women go through the same thing ;-)
Airtight container - for what?
ziplock bags - ok, but make sure you need them all, don't take "just in case ones"
First aid kit - how big and what is in it?
Ear plugs - ok, but the winter is quiet on the camino, less danger of snorers as there are less pilgrims
Toothbrush and toothpaste - ok
knife - a simple pocket knife with corkscrew and tin opener will do
sunglasses - in winter? You need them only if you have really, really sensitive eyes
writing utensils - one pen and if that is empty buy a new one
fingernail clippers - replace with nail scissors, far more versatile
hand sanitizer - for what?
phone - ok
hiking shoes - ok
knee brace - ok
wind breaker - ok
backpack - ok
Sleeping bag and compression sack - ok
iPad - ok, but that could also replace your phone
Emergency Blanket - for what?

I still need:

Drinking Bladder - replace with PET bottle, 1 -1,5l will be plenty
Waterproof/woolen gloves - you already mentioned gloves above, so one pair should be enough. If it gets extremely cold you can always put an additional pair of socks on your hands ;-)
Gaiters - ok
Rain Coat / Poncho - either, not both, I personally prefer a poncho that covers me and my backpack
Hiking underwear (2-3 pr) - ok, three.
Hiking skirt - in winter???
Running tights (1 pr--would replace the long underwear since I could wear them without anything on top of it) - ok
Hiking gas stove - absolutely no need for that!
Blister care - please specify
Power converter - ok
Extra batteries/rechargeable batteries and charger - ok, depending on the techno gear you take in the end

Hope that helps, SY

ktchnofdngr said:
I'm expecting to have to carry more weight, since I'm going in the winter and warm clothes weigh more, but I was surprised that my backpack actually feels less heavy than when I have gone hiking with my dog in the past....I usually take about 6-7 l of water

Well just 7litres of water is 15lbs. If you're used to hiking with 7litres of water plus everything else are you really going to have issues with more then 15lbs total weight?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
SYates said:
glue stick - FOR WHAT???

Waterproof matches - No, you are not going at a survival trip, no need to take those.

Emergency Blanket - for what?

Waterproof/woolen gloves - you already mentioned gloves above, so one pair should be enough. If i

I'm sure the OP can answer better then me but when has that stopped me.

Glue stick = emergency repairs.

Matches and blanket would come in handy if you get wet. The OP is traveling in winter. Get caught in a storm and far better to have those matches then not. How many grams do matches weigh?

Bottles are harder to sip from then a bladder. Staying hydrated with frequent sips is a big positive.

Waterproof gloves aren't to keep you warm they're to keep you dry. Ask any kid that's made a snowball the advantage of dry waterproof gloves.

I have Crocs, lightweight to carry (110gms) and good for walking around in both indoors and out. They are good insulation against cold floors. If you feel that you really need a pair of 'ballet' style shoes a pair of these might suit, but buy them in good time to let the awful plastic small go away - it does. Mine are the 'Super soles', they weigh 50gms and they are only for use indoors. The only reason for taking them this year is that we will be in hotels before the Camino, they may well get dumped.

I do take a single disposable razor, even as a lady. My gloves (2 pairs) are silk, weight 10gms per pair. I feel the cold and waterproofed one pair which live in my poncho. In theory I could wear both pairs if it was really cold, but they are surprisingly warm.

My scarf, vests and longjohns all come from Rohan in the UK and are both warm and extremely lightweight. (The latest scarves are slightly different to mine).

As I find I cannot cut my fingernails with my left hand I prefer nail clippers to scissors, but they are difficult for toe nails. I carry a very small 'sapphire' nail file, cut my toe-nails before leaving home and then file them every night lightly on the Camino to keep them short.

Everything else serves 2 purposes as far as possible.
Buen Camino

Just thinking out loud here:

Emergency repair - I would prefer half a roll of ductape instead.
Water proof matches - what are you going to lit with them?
Emergency blanket - Decent waterproof clothes should do the trick. But I have taken, for a winter camino an alu coated small foam pad to sit on.
Hydration - Less than a problem in winter then in August. Just put a 500 ml PEt bottle in the side pocket of your bag pack and use bigger bottle as backup.
Gloves - There are wind- and waterproof gloves available that keep your hands warm.

;-) SY

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
SYates said:
........... But I have taken, for a winter camino an alu coated small foam pad to sit on.
;-) SY
Terry's original pack cover wore out so he replaced it. The original we cut in half and it makes excellent 'sit-upons' for those cold damp places. We carry them beside our water bottles for easy access.

So I will reply to your comments by putting my replies/rationale for the gear in green...
SYates said:
Socks, 8 pr (4 pr regular hiking, 2 pr thin hiking, and 2 pr fuzzy socks for night) - 8 pairs of socks are overkill. Even in winter. 2 pairs of thin liner socks (they dry fast) and 3 - 4 pairs of of thick walking socks are enough. The thick ones you can wear at night and dry them out / vent them (weather permitting) on your backpack during the day.
1 pr long underwear - either for sleeping in or putting under the running tights for extra warmth
1pr running capris - They are light and are for sleeping in
1 pr running tights - They are lightweight, warm, and wicking. This is to replace regular pants.
cetirizine (allergy meds) - I really have allergies, mostly food related--If I get something I shouldn't and am not on my allergy meds, I break out in very itchy, painful hives. Shoot, I forgot to add my epi pen to my list/weight!
Scrubby sponge - this replaces a washcloth and is both lightweight (.1 oz) and dries quickly
Flip Flops - see below
comb - ok
razor -I can live with hairy legs, but I cannot deal with having hairy armpits. It is my one concession to vanity!
glue stick - I add pictures, bus tickets, etc. to my journal. The idea of using it as emergency repairs makes sense, too, though.
head lamp - It also gets dark sooner, and for me to finish, I need to walk an average of 28 km a day. This means that I might end up having to continue walking after dark, so I consider this an essential.
bandannas (2) - I'm using this instead of kleenex...this is not for wearing!
Waterproof matches - If I get caught in a storm, I might need them. They are .3 oz
Insulated mug - ok
Water bottle - The bottle in the picture is PET, but still really heavy. If I can use a bladder instead, I will.
Camera - ok
ballet shoes - I was going to be wearing socks with these, even if it does make me look funny...I'm not totally clueless! I would prefer to have a close-toed shoe because of the possibility of snow when getting dinner. I have a pair of Tevas I could take instead, but I would argue that sandals will not be warmer than close-toed shoes and socks.
fleece jacket - ok
Long sleeved shirt (2) - ok, perhaps more see below
Short sleeved shirts (3) - I would argue that I will need at least 2, since I will be using this as my base layer, and it will need to be washed daily because of my sweating--one to wear and one to wash. I had 3 on my list so that I also had one to sleep in.
Sports bra (2) - ok
Fleece Scarf - I don't plan to blow my nose on this...see above!
Gloves - ok
Beanie hat - ok
Towel - It is 4 oz.
Dr. Bronners - This is soap, but I plan to use it as shampoo and laundry soap...ultra concentrated: 5 drops does my whole scalp.
Soap Caddy - use a zip lock bag instead, lighter
Soap - because of my skin issues, I can't use Dr. Bronners for my whole body unless I want to also bring lotion. A bar of soap is lighter than lotion.
Journal - ok
Feminine Pads - ok, but just a few, you can buy them in Spain as Spanish women go through the same thing ;-)
Airtight container - Because of my food allergies (nuts, shellfish, wheat, rye, barley,some fruit, etc), I can't use the standard pilgrim's way food--I might need this for food that is easily squished, like fruit, etc. I'm looking for a lighter airtight containter, but until then, this is what I have.
ziplock bags - ok, but make sure you need them all, don't take "just in case ones"
First aid kit - 2.5 oz: bandaids, splinter removal, neosporin, anti-diarrheal, pain meds (only 1-2 doses), antiseptic wipes, and a couple of gauze pads
Ear plugs - I snore, so I'm more worried about other pilgrims...once asleep, I can sleep through just about anything!
Toothbrush and toothpaste - ok
knife - That is exactly what it is. It is also small enough that it will go through airport security. It is maybe 2 ounces.
sunglasses - I was thinking about glare off of snow...I live in the southwest US, so it is such a part of standard daily wear that I really didn't think that much about taking them or not. I just assumed!
writing utensils - one pen and if that is empty buy a new one
fingernail clippers - replace with nail scissors, far more versatile
hand sanitizer - I am allergic to detergents--which means most liquid soap in bathrooms are out for me. This is my way to wash my hands after doing the necessary...
phone - ok
hiking shoes - ok
knee brace - ok
wind breaker - ok
backpack - ok
Sleeping bag and compression sack - ok
iPad - The iPad is Wifi Only, but I can see your point...I could always skype, although my mom is not very technologically savvy, so this could be difficult.
Emergency Blanket - I can see getting caught somewhere in the snow while on the trail, so I don't want to be unprepared.

I still need:

Waterproof/woolen gloves - I'm actually more worried about what happens when my gloves get soggy. If I can find some woolen ones, they will replace the ones I have, since wool keeps you warm even if it is wet. All of my research suggests that the Camino is a very wet/snowy place in winter, so that is what I'm trying to plan for. Since I use hiking poles, I can't just tuck them underneath my poncho...
Gaiters - ok
Rain Coat / Poncho - I'm worried about warmth, so that is why I have both on my list. If I can find a nice rain coat/waterproof coat, it will replace the windbreaker I have, since it is only water resistant, not waterproof.
Hiking skirt - yes, in Winter...it covers my bum so that I'm not so self-conscious in my running tights, and it gives me something nice to wear in towns.
Running tights (1 pr--would replace the long underwear since I could wear them without anything on top of it) - ok
Hiking gas stove - According to the "pilgrimage in winter" guide from the Confraternity of St James from England, this is helpful, because many of the pilgrims bars are closed in the winter in addition to the closed Auberges, so it is sometimes difficult to find coffee/tea. I'm willing to take this off my list, but I KNOW that I will need to have coffee, hot cocoa or tea in the morning to kickstart my day, as I am a wimp!
Blister care - moleskin/compeed and maybe blister pads
Power converter - ok
Extra batteries/rechargeable batteries and charger - ok, depending on the techno gear you take in the end

Hope that helps, SY

So, that is my rationale. I have been thinking about this in earnest since last July, so I've really been trying to think through everything that I carry so that I don't carry even one extra ounce, but I also don't want to be at a place where I wish I had something that I left behind either. I'm planning for extra funds with me in case of that eventuality, but I'd really prefer to use that extra money on something like a nice dinner than on duplicates of gear I have at home!

Blessings,

Hola,
If I were you I would first write a new pack list, with a better structure.
And put things under headlines, such as:
Clothes
Sleeping things
Toiletry things and medicine
Miscellaneous
Luxury things (things you can do without if you have to)
or something like that.

Makes it easier to see what you got, and what you can leave at home.

Buen camino

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
ktchnofdngr said:
but the current skin out total is 20.5 lbs, and that doesn't include my walking poles or the gear I still need to buy! !
I must say, I just don't get all this "from the skin out" stuff.
We wear our clothes all the time, right, it's the EXTRA weight in our packs we need to consider, surely?
I know you're planning a winter camino, which is outside my experience, but it does seem as if you're packing far too much. But then, as many here know, I'm obsessed with reducing pack weight, anyway. :D Just for ducks, all up weight (including 1 litre of water) for my next 2 week camino, is 2.7kgs.
Plus the clothes I'm wearing, of course.

Sojourner, if you look at ultralight hiking blogs/websites, they usually have 2 weights...what they have in their packs, and "from the skin out," which basically includes things like hiking shoes, hiking poles, and clothing that you wear--basically everything that you have with you for your trip! I was weighing everything, so it ended up becoming a "from the skin out" tally rather than just what is in my pack. Even then, I still missed some of my gear, like my epi-pen and my hiking poles.

I'm a little envious of the 2.7 kgs, but I'm not that minimalist YET...That is less than my backpack and sleeping bag weigh together!!! Maybe for my second camino! :wink:

So, here is my list all organized. The things in Blue are things that I don't have yet, but plan to get.
Clothing
Socks, 8 pr (4 pr regular hiking, 2 pr thin hiking, and 2 pr fuzzy socks for night)
1 pr long underwear - either for sleeping in or putting under the running tights for extra warmth
1pr running capris - They are light and are for sleeping in
1 pr running tights - They are lightweight, warm, and wicking. This is to replace regular pants.
Long sleeved shirt (2)
Short sleeved shirts (3) - I would argue that I will need at least 2, since I will be using this as my base layer, and it will need to be washed daily because of my sweating--one to wear and one to wash. I had 3 on my list so that I also had one to sleep in.
Sports bra (2)
Hiking skirt - yes, in Winter...it covers my bum so that I'm not so self-conscious in my running tights, and it gives me something nice to wear in towns.
Running tights (1 pr--would replace the long underwear since I could wear them without anything on top of it)

Medicine/Toiletries
cetirizine (allergy meds) - I really have allergies, mostly food related--If I get something I shouldn't and am not on my allergy meds, I break out in very itchy, painful hives.
Scrubby sponge - this replaces a washcloth and is both lightweight (.1 oz) and dries quickly
comb
razor -I can live with hairy legs, but I cannot deal with having hairy armpits. It is my one concession to vanity!
Towel
Dr. Bronners - This is soap, but I plan to use it as shampoo and laundry soap...ultra concentrated: 5 drops does my whole scalp....I will probably take about half of what is in the photo on my blog, and hope that it lasts me the whole trip.
Soap Caddy
Soap - because of my skin issues, I can't use Dr. Bronners for my whole body unless I want to also bring lotion. A bar of soap is lighter than lotion.
Feminine Pads
First aid kit - 2.5 oz: bandaids, splinter removal, neosporin, anti-diarrheal, pain meds (only 1-2 doses), antiseptic wipes, a couple of gauze pads, and about 12 safety pins
Ear plugs - I snore, so I'm more worried about other pilgrims...once asleep, I can sleep through just about anything!
Toothbrush and toothpaste
fingernail clippers
hand sanitizer - I am allergic to detergents--which means most liquid soap in bathrooms are out for me. This is my way to wash my hands after doing the necessary...
Epi-Pen (in case I accidentally get shellfish)
Blister care - moleskin/compeed and maybe blister pads
1-2 needles and a spool of thread
a tube of hydrocortisone cream in case of a hive break-out

Outerwear
ballet shoes - I was going to be wearing socks with these, even if it does make me look funny. I would prefer to have a close-toed shoe because of the possibility of snow when getting dinner. I have a pair of Tevas I could take instead, but I would argue that sandals will not be warmer than close-toed shoes and socks.
fleece jacket
Fleece Scarf - I don't plan to blow my nose on this...see above!
Gloves
Beanie hat
wind breaker
Waterproof/woolen gloves - I'm actually more worried about what happens when my gloves get soggy. If I can find some woolen ones, they will replace the ones I have, since wool keeps you warm even if it is wet. All of my research suggests that the Camino is a very wet/snowy place in winter, so that is what I'm trying to plan for. Since I use hiking poles, I can't just tuck them underneath my poncho...
Gaiters
Rain Coat / Poncho - I'm worried about warmth, so that is why I have both on my list. If I can find a nice rain coat/waterproof coat, it will replace the windbreaker I have, since it is only water resistant, not waterproof.

Hiking Gear
knife --It is small enough that it will go through airport security, has a cork screw and a small pair of scissors. It is maybe 3 ounces.
sunglasses - I was thinking about glare off of snow...I live in the southwest US, so it is such a part of standard daily wear that I really didn't think that much about taking them or not. I just assumed!
head lamp - It also gets dark sooner, and for me to finish, I need to walk an average of 28 km a day. This means that I might end up having to continue walking after dark, so I consider this an essential.
bandannas (2) - I'm using this instead of kleenex...this is not for wearing!
Waterproof matches - If I get caught in a storm, I might need them. They are .3 oz
ziplock bags –For holding food, used toilet paper, and for putting my iPad Mini and Journal in
Water bottle - The bottle in the picture is PET, but still really heavy. If I can use a bladder instead, I will.
Airtight container - Because of my food allergies (nuts, shellfish, wheat, rye, barley,some fruit, etc), I can't use the standard pilgrim's way food--I might need this for food that is easily squished, like fruit, etc. I'm looking for a lighter airtight containter, but until then, this is what I have.
hiking shoes
backpack
Sleeping bag and compression sack
Hiking poles (2)
Emergency Blanket - I can see getting caught somewhere in the snow while on the trail, so I don't want to be unprepared.
Drinking Bladder

Technology/Archive
glue stick - I add pictures, bus tickets, etc. to my journal. The idea of using it as emergency repairs makes sense, too, though.
Camera
Journal
writing utensils – I like to use colored ink in my journal, so I am limiting myself to 4 colors and a mechanical pencil for sketching.
phone
iPad - The iPad is Wifi Only, but I can see your point...I could always skype, although my mom is not very technologically savvy, so this could be difficult.
Power converter
Extra batteries/rechargeable batteries and charger

Luxuries
Flip Flops
knee brace--this is a just in case, as I know that my knees sometimes bother me after a hike.
Insulated tumbler
Hiking gas stove - According to the "pilgrimage in winter" guide from the Confraternity of St James from England, this is helpful, because many of the pilgrims bars are closed in the winter in addition to the closed Auberges, so it is sometimes difficult to find coffee/tea in the morning. I'm willing to take this off my list, but I KNOW that I will need to have coffee, hot cocoa or tea in the morning to kickstart my day, as I am a wimp, and not looking forward to the cold!

I know that some of my items could be considered luxuries, and I may consider them to be so as time goes on, but this is what I have come up with as a minimal list so far. My 2 greatest concerns at this point are making sure that I am warm and that I have what I need in order to function with my food allergies--I have some friends that are helping me to learn enough Spanish that I can convey my special needs at restaurants, but I'm aware that most pilgrims menus will be out for me. I've actually thought that I might need to keep a bag of uncooked rice with me to ensure that I have something to eat in the evenings. I'm just not quite ready to add that to my gear list yet.

Of the three tech devices: phone, ipad, camera -- I think you can take only two. I've been using my iPhone camera for travel photos for several years now, and it does just fine. Get one of the editing apps and you're brilliant.

I believe the pack weight guideline of 15 lbs (7.5 kg) (which figure will surely be contested by someone but we mostly all use it as a rule of thumb for planning purposes) includes neither worn/carried items of clothing/equipment nor "live load" of the day's water and food. And in winter that would be several pounds more.

Instead of a gas stove, please consider an electrical immersion heater. It's lighter weight, and you can find plugs conveniently. Alternatively, an alcohol stove (http://www.minibulldesigns.com or http://www.esbit.com) is favored by European walkers.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Well, things have changed at work, and I'm going sooner than I thought (I'm leaving on the 29th of Aug in the evening from home, and will begin walking on on the morning of the 31st), and I won't be going as far....only from Burgos on. With that in mind, does anyone have thoughts/advice about what I should/could leave at home from my gear list? I already know that I will only be taking my iPad mini and my camera with me--I will keep in touch back home via Skype. However, I'm still not sure how much warm clothing I will need in the beginning of September, not to mention rain gear. Is it still rainy at this time of year? Any thoughts would be much appreciated!

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.