• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Buying hiking poles on the Camino Frances?

fcsklabrie

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances Aug-Oct 2014
Hi everyone,

In order to avoid flying overseas with my hiking poles, which unfortunately don't fit inside my backpack, I was thinking of buying hiking poles while in SJPDP or somewhere along the way. I once read that wooden hiking poles are for sale a little bit everywhere for 3 to 5 euros along the Camino - and you can leave them in Santiago once done with the hike. Has anyone used wooden poles before, are they as effective as the telescopic aluminum poles? And can they be found easily in SJPDP?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
You can find a pile of abandoned poles at the Pilgrim Office in Santiago. Take one.

A single stave is not as effective as a pair of trekking poles, but will aid balance and water crossings.

falcon269 said:
You can find a pile of abandoned poles at the Pilgrim Office in Santiago. Take one.

Not a lot of use for someone starting in SJPDP.....

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
My first Camino I used a wooden staff I bought in SJPP.
It worked GREAT!

My second Camino I used trekking poles.
They worked GREAT!

Personally, I think either is as good as the other.
The poles are beautiful and sturdy-
and if you lose one along the way, you can just buy (or find) another.
Plus you are supporting the economy along the Camino.
I'd just get one there...

I used telescopic trekking poles, which I also do in walks at home. However, unless you make the effort to learn how to use them, one might as well use a good wooden staff. I say this because most people I see with them (both here and on the Camino) completely fail to use trekking poles to gain the technical advantages they can provide over a simple stick.

If your current walking style does not include poles, it takes a bit of practice to use them with ease, so I would not recommend buying your first set at the start of the Camino - buy a wooden staff instead.

Regards,

My poles (Pacer Poles) don't fit in my pack either. So I'll check them, along with the other sharps, in a small bag. That allows me to take the pack as carry-on baggage, and minimize the amount of equipment that is vulnerable to the Baggage Astray program.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I took a telescopic pole on my 2005 Camino. My son Tim didn't have a pole, so I bought him a staff in Sarria. I really liked the look of it, so bought a staff for myself as well. My pole was carried on the outside of my rucksack. We sometimes do daft things on the Camino.

I've not taken the staff on a subsequent Camino because I do not want the airport sending it on the wrong plane. It only cost 8€ but it is worth much more than that to me.

Personally I now take poles as I need them to help me up hills. I found that if I lean slightly forward on the poles, and only move them a short distance, my upper body weight is being taken by my arms and I get up the hills much faster.

If you are don't need a pole to go up a hill then a staff is a good option.

This may be a very basic question - as I haven't used my new trekking poles yet - but are there technical advantages to using trekking poles vs wooden poles/staff?

thank you!

Trekking poles are adjustable to one's height, and need to be as long as, when held in front, the elbow is at right angles. A staff, being fixed length, should be held at the point where, again the elbow joint is at 90 degrees.There are lots of websites giving basic instruction on using poles - try " Pete Clinche's Hiking Poles Page" pole on Google.
Some walkers swear by poles - taking pressure off the hips/knees, whilst others would rather do without. They can be very useful for steadying one when walking difficult ground - crossing streams etc, but can also be a hinderance.
I have recently completed a course on Nordic Walking - like ski-ing without skis - not for the faint hearted, and not really of much use to long distance walking with a pack.
It's all down to personal preference, but if I were you I would practise first with/without poles before you go.The general consensus seems to be that 2 poles are better than one.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
If you do choose to take/use trekking poles, it's helpful if you learn to use them correctly.
Although they can be a great help, they can cause you to hurt yourself if you use them wrong.
They can also just be one more thing to drag along if you don't understand how to use them.
There are many videos on YouTube showing their correct use.

One disadvantage to taking them, besides getting them there, is having to worry about them being lost or stolen (not a big problem, but it has happened).With a stick you purchase there, if you forget it at a cafe or leave it at the albergue, there is always another one around the corner.

There are some albergues that will not allow you to take your trekking poles into your room with you. They can be left in the walking space, causing falls. They also have been used (apparently) as weapons! :roll: These albergues insist you must leave them in a bin at the entrance, sometimes beside an open door by an alley. There is no arguing about it. Are you comfortable with that?

In my opinion, unless you are just in love with using your trekking poles, or unless you need them because of weak ankles or knees, a walking stick you purchase there works just as well.

I loved my pacer poles because they helped my wrists, but because of the cost, I was worried about leaving them downstairs several times.

As a footnote to my post, I started out with a homemade pole, left it behind one morning by mistake, got on a lot better without it.

You can buy everything you need to walk a Camino - including hiking poles - in St Jean Pied de Port. Pierre has two stores - Compostela Direction, 1 Place Floquet and Pilgrims' Boutique, 32 du de la Citadelle. http://www.directioncompostelle.fr
If you need anything in particular (like an Altus raincoat) you can email him and he'll keep it aside for you.
directioncompostelle@orange.fr

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
fcsklabrie said:
This may be a very basic question - as I haven't used my new trekking poles yet - but are there technical advantages to using trekking poles vs wooden poles/staff?

thank you!

Yes, there are technical advantages, but they come when you use the pole's design features effectively. Pete's pole page has been mentioned earlier in this thread, and is a good place to start learning how to use the poles to best advantage.

First, you need to learn to wear the wrist strap so that (1) you can lean on the pole without gripping the hand grip, (2) have the pole naturally return to your hand when you plant the end on the ground, and (3) when you raise your arm, the pole hangs clearly below your wrist and doesn't interfere with you gripping other objects, eg a map, compass, camera etc. There are only two ways to wear the wrist strap - one achieves all three of these, the other doesn't. Set up this way, the force on the pole comes from the strap around your wrist, and does not depend on your ability to grip the hand grip time and time again at each step you take.

Second, the length of the pole will determine the balance between how much weight you take of your lower limbs, and how much propulsion you will achieve. The longer the pole, the more propulsion. If you want to take weight off your lower limb joints, shorten the pole length. I find that the minimum length is when it is just long enough to reach the ground when my upper arm is beside my torso, and my lower arm is at right angles, roughly parallel to the ground.

Third, consider whether you need to wear a pair of fingerless gloves to prevent blisters. I have a pair with chamois lining, rubber finger and palm pads and an elasticised fabric on the back.

Once you are set up, you can use your poles all day, every day for weeks on end. This is the key advantage - a wooden staff has to be grasped each time you place the end down - and over the course of the day, your ability to do this will decline. A properly worn technical pole doesn't rely on your grip, and you only have to guide the end into place, not grasp the handle as well. You will get much the same effect with a technical pole across the whole day, not just while you are fresh.

In difficult terrain, there are also advantages because of this. Going downhill (lengthen the pole first) a technical pole can take far more of your weight because you don't have to grip it, giving both greater stability on difficult surfaces, or a faster descent if the surface is good. Similarly, going uphill, where you may not need the pole as a stability aid, it can bring your upper body into play to assist in the climb.

Finally, if you get the wrist strap right, you can keep wearing a technical pole when you are doing simple tasks with your hands, and won't have to put the pole down. It will just hang below your wrist or forearm while you do something else with your hands, and with a minor adjustment or two, you can start walking with the pole again. More complex manual tasks will still require you to remove the pole.

I keep repeating the secret of good trekking pole use is as simple as getting the wrist strap right. Its because there are only two ways to put your hand through the strap, but I see so few people who have trekking poles actually get it right. If you don't, your pole is just an expensive aluminium alloy staff with a fancy handle, and you won't be getting best value from your equipment.

Regards,

I was quite anti-pole when I started out. I had tried to use them in the past (different trail) at a fellow walkers insistence and found them only a hinderance. On the camino Frances, I used a friend's pair when I was in a lot of pain and struggling on a downhill... they certainly helped. I ended up buying a pair in Burgos. They cost me only 9euros and were fantastic. So much so, I bought them home with me.
I would suggest buying a pair in somewhere like Toulouse or whatever other big town you may be going through before getting to St Jean. If you can.
Just one thing though... please don't tap tap tap your way when it's not necessary to be using them! especially in the wee hours past people's houses -I found that a little inconsiderate.

You can buy rubber stoppers that fit over the end of the tip of extendable poles. Stops the tap, tap.

If you need the pole to go into the ground just whip them off, put them in your pocket and re-attach asp.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Personally we prefer one wooden stick with a curved top (like a shepherds crook). These were bought in UK and cut down to size on the same principle as adjusting length on the walking poles. I generally hold my pole with the open end pointing forward and my hand below the top of the curve.( I can put it over the top, or lower down to vary my reach.) Hold stick with arm at right angles to body and check how much to cut off. You need to wear your walking boots/shoes when doing this. Cut off less and try again until the stick feels right. We only cut off about 2cm at first , then 1cm then a few mm. Fiddly but worth it. Good and strong for leaning on. Rubbers avaiable from hardware stores, not hiking shops.
I wouldn't like a straight pole or a 'normal' length walking stick but the long 'crook style' works fine. Not sure if you will find one on the Camino but I would look in hardware stores or similar rather than the hiking stores

Attachments

• rucksacks.jpg
    rucksacks.jpg
    207.5 KB · Views: 3,277
  • on clapper bridge.jpg
    on clapper bridge.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 3,262
I used telescopic trekking poles, which I also do in walks at home. However, unless you make the effort to learn how to use them, one might as well use a good wooden staff. I say this because most people I see with them (both here and on the Camino) completely fail to use trekking poles to gain the technical advantages they can provide over a simple stick.

Regards,

Couldn´t agree more. Hardly anyone uses them correctly. Either learn how to use them properly or don´t bother with them at all, except for balance and creek crossings.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi there, I’m starting my first Camino Frances early May, and I don’t know whether I need hiking poles or not? I’m 26 years old, relatively fit and don’t have any injuries (yet!) I used poles for...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hi. Shawn and Lainey are a lovely couple - so positive! - who now live in Galicia and have a Youtube presence "Days we Spend" with plenty of excellent and informative Camino videos - they are...
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
I am finally embarking on my first camino later this year. I will be taking my Canon R6 camera with me. For others that have taken DLSR’s or mirrorless cameras, what lens or lenses did you find...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.