• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Buying Medicine From Pharmacies

Icheepoo

Time of past OR future Camino
Portuguese Camino (Sept 2022)
Is it easy to buy medicine like NSAIDS, paracetamol, antihistamines, etc at the pharmacies along the camino. Or do they require a prescription? Am hoping to cut down my pack weight by packing minimal medicinal supplies which I may or may not end up using.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
It depends. Paracetamol is not available in the EU in the modified release form I can get in Australia, and ibuprofen is supplied in a much larger dose in Spain, albeit in a tablet form that can be split. That said, most other medicines that I don't need a prescription for at home are available at pharmacies in Spain and Portugal.

My approach is to bring prescription medication for the length of my stay away, as well as medications I know I won't be able to get while I am away. I bring a small quantity of other medications, and if I need to use them I will replace them along the way at a pharmacy. I also bring the prescription and a letter from my doctor listing what I am taking and why.

If you have specific medications you do obtain over the counter, you might want to check Eudrapharm, the EU human medicines database to see if what equivalents will be available.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
It depends. Paracetamol is not available in the EU in the modified release form I can get in Australia, and ibuprofen is supplied in a much larger dose in Spain, albeit in a tablet form that can be split. That said, most other medicines that I don't need a prescription for at home are available at pharmacies in Spain and Portugal.

My approach is to bring prescription medication for the length of my stay away, as well as medications I know I won't be able to get while I am away. I bring a small quantity of other medications, and if I need to use them I will replace them along the way at a pharmacy. I also bring the prescription and a letter from my doctor listing what I am taking and why.

If you have specific medications you do obtain over the counter, you might want to check Eudrapharm, the EU human medicines database to see if what equivalents will be available.
The ibuprofen point is certainly well made. I used to think that the Spanish version ‘worked better’ until I actually read the packet and found they were 400mg tabs not the 200mg more common in the UK.

The prior advice is good. The only other thing to take into account is that each region of Spain manages medical matters separately and you will pass through different regions and so what you can get over the counter in one region may differ from the next.

For over the counter stuff this will often manifest itself as differing maximum doses available. For example, in one region I could buy 600+ mg Ibuprofen over the counter while in another region this was limited to 400.

So far I'm not on any regular medicine for long term illnesses. Just mainly wanting to know if I'll be able to get medication for illnesses that I may get into while on/because of the camino.. like pain killers, muscle relaxants, allergy meds and such...

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
So far I'm not on any regular medicine for long term illnesses. Just mainly wanting to know if I'll be able to get medication for illnesses that I may get into while on/because of the camino.. like pain killers, muscle relaxants, allergy meds and such...
Muscle relaxants are usually prescription only, not over the counter medications.

Often on this forum, advice is given that "Spain is not a third world country" and most things you need will be available. Bear in mind, though, that many shops including pharmacies do not open till 10.00 am and most peregrinos want to be on the road a few hours before that. For this reason alone, I would bring along medications etc so that I don't have to hang around waiting for shops to open.

Often on this forum, advice is given that "Spain is not a third world country" and most things you need will be available. Bear in mind, though, that many shops including pharmacies do not open till 10.00 am and most peregrinos want to be on the road a few hours before that. For this reason alone, I would bring along medications etc so that I don't have to hang around waiting for shops to open.
Yes, you don't need to bring full bottles - just enough to tide you over until you can get to a pharmacy.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Good advice above, plus I would add that a couple of doses of Imodium or equivalent are good to have on hand. If diarrhea hits, it often hits QUICKLY and a pharmacy could still be some distance off.

I had no trouble getting antifungal cream, magnesium supplements and nasal allergy spray at various points along the way. Many pharmacies have English-speaking staff.

Note that in the US, paracetamol is known as acetaminophen (brand name Tylenol).

-Paul

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I always advise people to make pdfs of their prescriptions, and save them as attachments in their drafts folder. In my experience, Spanish and French pharmacists have no trouble in filling these prescriptions. Most larger drug companies are quite international and their more popular products are easily obtained. In addition, most Spanish pharmacists have some English, and local laws and practice enable them to undertake minor first aid procedures. I have always found them competent and helpful.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Is it easy to buy medicine like NSAIDS, paracetamol, antihistamines, etc at the pharmacies along the camino. Or do they require a prescription? Am hoping to cut down my pack weight by packing minimal medicinal supplies which I may or may not end up using.
As already said, none of those require a prescription. I also bought lisinopril, levothyroxine, and metformin without prescription for less than my co-pay in USA (where they do require a prescription). I was also on liothyronine, which is not available in Spain, but the pharmacist and I figured out that I'd probably be OK by changing the dose of the levothyroxine. (An e-mail to my US doc got his approval for the suggested adjustment.)

What about asthma puffers (ventolin, zempreon) salbutamol etc, are they over the counter meds also?

If you want to avoid Ibuprofen as an anti-inflammatory, there's an over-the-counter dexketoprofene.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
And it's worth bearing in mind that a lot of non-prescription medicines such as paracetamol and ibuprofen are only available at pharmacies, unlike many countries where you can buy painkillers etc in supermarkets. Luckily, there are lots of pharmacies in Spain.

Savlon proved tricky to find. A an equivalent I was supplied with a tube of Halibut!
I've always packed a small tube of Savlon ever since

Yes, they are easy to get over the counter. But - if by chance something you can buy at home isn't available in Spain over the counter - talk to the pharmacist and they will recommend something for you.

And I think someone else mentioned - be careful about the ibuprofen. It is available in stronger strengths in Spain which can be very hard on your stomach/kidneys. I take very minimal over the counter medications from home, with the exception of Ibuprofen. I take enough 200mg ibuprofen tabs to last me the entire trip because I can't take the higher doses that are available in Spain. And then of course, I take an entire supply of prescription medications.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

I'm about a 6 weeks away from beginning the French Camino. Depending on how I feel when I get to St. Jean, I will either take a train back to Portugal, or continue on to Santiago. In the...
Hola, I was really hoping to walk the Camino again this coming summer but despite all my hopes and planning I am in need of a hip replacement instead, yea! I walked the Frances in 2017 and have...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.