• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Buying poles in Porto

Stellaluna

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances -2016
Portuguese -2019
Le Puy - July 2022
Hi there,
I'm trying to limit my luggage to carry on so I won't be able to bring my poles. Does anyone know of places where I can purchase them in Porto?
Thanks,
Jennifer

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
A selection of Camino Jewellery
I arrived on a Sunday, so some of the smaller recommended shops were not open and the Decathlon seemed to be my only option. I was able to buy them there but, at the time (beginning of October 2018) I got the last pair in the store. Had someone walked in after me, there would have been none to be found. Earlier in the season perhaps that will be less of a risk.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
For my non-carry-ons I purchased a small bag for $2 (yard sale find) and checked that bag. At the airport I collected the bag, put the items in my backpack and threw the $2 bag in the trash.

Hi there,
I'm trying to limit my luggage to carry on so I won't be able to bring my poles. Does anyone know of places where I can purchase them in Porto?
Thanks,
Jennifer
If you are doing only Porto, coastal way, I don't think you will be needing it. It's really flat.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi there,
Thanks,
Jennifer
When you get to the sports store, think about 1 pole and an umbrella cane, it's my go to walking stick, sunshade, rain shield & privacy when people are around and I got to go! At Decathlon my umbrella was 14Eu, strong, straight padded handle, light weight, UV from the scorching sun. 🌞 Doesn't get uncomfortably wet like a hat and blocks wind/dust blowing.

For my non-carry-ons I purchased a small bag for $2 (yard sale find) and checked that bag. At the airport I collected the bag, put the items in my backpack and threw the $2 bag in the trash.
Was the bag made from any sort of plastic material? Could you not have folded it into your pack and returned home with it to either reuse or dispose of in your own trash can?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Pharmacy sells them cheap12€.

Was the bag made from any sort of plastic material? Could you not have folded it into your pack and returned home with it to either reuse or dispose of in your own trash can?
Sorry if I offended you in some way. No, it was a cloth bag. I laid it on the very top of the trash bin with hopes that someone would pull it out and use it. I was in the airport, leaving it laying exposed wouldn’t be a good idea and adding the extra weight to my backpack was not an option.

Sorry if I offended you in some way. No, it was a cloth bag. I laid it on the very top of the trash bin with hopes that someone would pull it out and use it. I was in the airport, leaving it laying exposed wouldn’t be a good idea and adding the extra weight to my backpack was not an option.
Offended no, saddened yes. Who knows, maybe in a hundred years or so some archaeologist might be digging deep through a rubbish pile and say: "Look, this is what pilgrims of old use to bring with them on their walk to Santiago!"

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I
Hi there,
Thanks,
Jennifer
i bought great poles at Decathlon in Porto on May 30 - plenty of stock. 10 euro each pole but they had a range from 5-30 euro. I was glad I had them from Ponta de Lima onward. My plan is to leave them at my hostel when I return to Lisbon and hope another pilgrim will be able to use them. They also had a good selection of rain capes which I wish I had purchased because it is exceedingly rainy in Spain right now!

When you get to the sports store, think about 1 pole and an umbrella cane, it's my go to walking stick, sunshade, rain shield & privacy when people are around and I got to go! At Decathlon my umbrella was 14Eu, strong, straight padded handle, light weight, UV from the scorching sun. 🌞 Doesn't get uncomfortably wet like a hat and blocks wind/dust blowing.
Clever!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Offended no, saddened yes. Who knows, maybe in a hundred years or so some archaeologist might be digging deep through a rubbish pile and say: "Look, this is what pilgrims of old use to bring with them on their walk to Santiago!"
It was a cloth bag... no worries, it will decompose before 100 years have passed.

I found poles were necessary for my Camino Portugues. The cobblestones are much talked about on this forum and they ARE very wearing on the feet and knees. There were numerous places I was thankful to have the extra help, support and stability hiking poles gave me, both hiking uphill as well as down hill and especially on stone steps which can be steep and irregular. I loved my Pacer Poles (pacerpoles.com) but they are more expensive ($136) but to me absolutely worth the expense. I took the carbon fiber 3 piece ones that fit in my pack. I carried my luggage on the airplane and had NO problems getting through security here in the states or in Madrid where I accidently had to go through security twice, as I got lost in the airport trying to find my flight to Porto. My pack was xrayed and never had any other inspection. I did carry a small camera tripod case to use if I needed to check my poles. I ended up giving it away to a photographer (not on a pilgrimage) I met on the way.

It was a cloth bag... no worries, it will decompose before 100 years have passed.
I was in the Petrie Museum in London last weekend - they have a 5000 year old cotton dress on display that's in remarkably good condition!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back