• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Buying rucksack in London

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Cathy - In London there are many suppliers. Have a look at this Directory:

http://www.ramblers.org.uk/info/Equipme ... tm#Millets

In the Covent Graden area alone there are three or four shops within walking distance of each other.

I've just bought a new bag and I found the shops in London very helpful indeed - my advice is to go at a quiet time, during the week when you are more likely to get an assistant with experience. Take your time and don't be pressured into buying and of course try it on and walk about with it.

Good luck

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
It's difficult to get both good advice and variety of product ranges in the same shop in central London - itchy feet certainly seems worth a look but I'd also visit Cotswold Outdoor on Piccadilly (near P Circus tube and opposite Waterstones)

As John said there are three or four "outdoors" shops close together in Covent Garden which is good when choosing as they all have slightly different stock. Three on the South and a very big Snow and Rock just to the north.

We tried them all out when my wife was looking for a backpack and found that the one that suited he best was from the North Face shop, about 30 litre. It did not have the greatest stock just the one that suited her.

William

At the risk of sounding like a demon 'less is more' type - I really would not have enjoyed my introduction to the Camino in May with anything more than a small and light pack. It took seemingly endless packing and re-packing, weighing and disgarding unnecessary stuff - but I really didn't find there was anything I missed - and we encountered cold nights, hot days and even torrential rain! My pack, a waterproof liner for it, and walking poles were the biggest expenditure - everything else was from charity shops or homemade.

I took a Berghaus Freeflow III 20 litre pack (£32 on the internet) and the final pack weighed just under 6.5Kg without water. It allows airflow between you and the pack (heaven when you can catch a breeze to cool you down), and although I have a small frame, it fitted perfectly. But even this amount of weight really makes its presence known on a tough day - and I would wince at the grim-faced folk heaving larger packs on after a break.

But as everyone has said - shop at quiet times if possible (I tried mine out in Millets, but bought online because I was picky about the colour - sorry Millets!), and if possible take a heavy bag of shopping with you to check what it is like with weight in it.

Good luck!

Pip

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.