• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Buying shoes in (or around) Santiago

Yoah

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances (Winter 2022)
Hi everyone,

The short version: Does anyone know where (if) I can buy Altras in or around Santiago?

The slightly longer version: I'll be finishing the Via de la Plata soon and am planning to walk the Frances straight after. I've been wearing the same pair of shoes since starting my walk, and want to get a new pair for the Frances.

My go-to shoes are Altras - I've had a few pairs of Lone Peaks and have also experimented with Timps and the Olympus. I'd really like to get another pair of (whatever) Altra shoes if I can, but experience tells me it can be difficult finding them offline in Europe.

Google isn't being very helpful and seems hellbent on finding me shoes to buy online and ship to my home country. Hence my question: does any of you lovely people know whether or where I can buy me some sweet new Altras in (or near) Santiago? Or, failing that, something like Hokas (I liked the Challengers when I had them) or perhaps Brooks Cascadias? What I'm after, basically, is some wide toe-box action with decent traction. 🙃

Many thanks in advance!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi everyone,

The short version: Does anyone know where (if) I can buy Altras in or around Santiago?

The slightly longer version: I'll be finishing the Via de la Plata soon and am planning to walk the Frances straight after. I've been wearing the same pair of shoes since starting my walk, and want to get a new pair for the Frances.

My go-to shoes are Altras - I've had a few pairs of Lone Peaks and have also experimented with Timps and the Olympus. I'd really like to get another pair of (whatever) Altra shoes if I can, but experience tells me it can be difficult finding them offline in Europe.

Google isn't being very helpful and seems hellbent on finding me shoes to buy online and ship to my home country. Hence my question: does any of you lovely people know whether or where I can buy me some sweet new Altras in (or near) Santiago? Or, failing that, something like Hokas (I liked the Challengers when I had them) or perhaps Brooks Cascadias? What I'm after, basically, is some wide toe-box action with decent traction. 🙃

Many thanks in advance!
Buy online and have them delivered c/o Ivar in Santiago?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi everyone,

Many thanks in advance!
I think your best bet would be to buy two pairs now and send one pair on, e.g. to Ivar or Post Restante in Santiago and pick them up when you get there.

Hi everyone,

My go-to shoes are Altras - I've had a few pairs of Lone Peaks and have also experimented with Timps and the Olympus. I'd really like to get another pair of (whatever) shoes if I can, but experience tells me it can be difficult finding them offline in Europe.

Many thanks in advance!
Similar to what was my experience the year before when I purchased an HOKA pair HOKA with the REI coupon. I let them sit for one month prior to the Camino. I returned them. It was because they were small to the shoes I was working in. I ended up with the pair of Hokas I purchased from a REI garage sale. They were resoled with sole inserts that I been training in for the entire summer. I was walking through the Portugues, and was concerned regarding the cobblestones. They performed really well for me, however I did suffer from heel blisters. This year I'm going to take Altra Lone Peak4. They are zero drop shoes with a wider toe box and a heel that is narrower. It is necessary to walk in these shoes prior to by at least seven to ten miles few times as the zero drop is made up of different muscles, and takes some time to get used to. I was in a terrible pain on my first two days of hiking but they're now great. A lot of people love the shoes they use for Caminos. If you live near to an REI look at a few alternatives and seek out shoe advice specifically tailored to your needs and preferences at the shop.

I can't help with where to buy them in Spain, but I can completely endorse Altra Lone Peak4 shoes. I wore mine for several hundred kilometers while training for the Camino Frances on the Appalachian Trail (AT) near my house in the US. At first, I thought the heel cup area fit a bit high and might cause chafing and blisters on either side of my feet below the ankles, but as I broke them in that never bothered me. Maybe that sensation was just me not being accustomed to the zero drop. The wide toe box, however, was the lifesaver when I walked the CF in Sept/Oct this year. I had absolutely ZERO blisters, while so many around me were suffering. I normally wear US size 9.5, but bought the Altras in size 10 to allow for any swelling.

While they now have visible wear and tear, I still wear them for 10-15 km hikes on the AT since I've returned home. Between training/break-in on the AT and doing the CF from SJPP, they easily have 1000-1200km by now. They're fine (for now) for short day hikes, but I'll get another pair before my next Camino.

If I were in your shoes (heh), doing two Caminos back to back, I would buy two pairs and alternate them during my training to break-in both pairs. Then, either carry the second pair or ship them ahead to Casa Ivar once you're in Spain.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Good luck. I looked at most of the sport shops and spent a lot of time in Santiago this last August and didn't find any options. I ended up keeping the Altra's I had started with SJPD.

I'll probably end up doing this - many thanks for all of your kind responses, and good to see there are so many other Altra (and perhaps especially Lone Peak) fans in these parts!

It looks like the site @trecile linked to will do deliveries within the EU. I would give that a try, and have them sent either to your hotel in Santiago or Casa Ivar. It sounds from the website like intra-EU delivery is uncomplicated.

One other possibility is the online store deporvillage. I actually had some things shipped to the US from them and they were fast and reliable. I assume the shipping will not be as enormous as it was for me.

Good luck with this, what is your time frame?
I'm looking at a website called runningwarehouse.eu where Lone Peaks are 35% off and shipping is free (over €50). Shipping within the EU is usually pretty good, although covid has delayed some of my orders in the recent past.

I'll probably want to collect the shoes from Santiago in about two weeks, so that should be fine in terms of shipping, I hope!

I've never bought anything and had it shipped to something like Casa Ivar (or a post office or similar), so just a bit nervous about that and hope it all goes well!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Be sure to read the instructions about shipping things to Casa Ivar.
You'll have to contact @wisepilgrim, as he has taken over this responsibility.
I followed all of the instructions and have just placed an order (Lone Peak 5s). All looking good, I think. Apparently runningwarehouse.eu are based out of Germany (usually reliable!) - estimated date of delivery 31/12/21, so lots of time even if there are delays.

Thanks again for all your help, everyone.

Just a comment on purchasing shoes or boots in Spain. There are two big sports equipment chains in Spain, Decathlon and Forum Sport that both have large stores scattered around the country.

I needed a new pair of boots in Salamanca and had very good service from the Forum Sport shop, about 4km by road from the Plaza Mayor. They even gave me a loyalty card which gave me a discount on the boots. Forum Sport also stock appear to Altras.

However, although Decathlon have a store in Santiago, Forum Sport does not, its closest being Ponferrada. Both hace stores in Pamplona.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Just a comment on purchasing shoes or boots in Spain. There are two big sports equipment chains in Spain, Decathlon and Forum Sport that both have large stores scattered around the country.

I needed a new pair of boots in Salamanca and had very good service from the Forum Sport shop, about 4km by road from the Plaza Mayor. They even gave me a loyalty card which gave me a discount on the boots. Forum Sport also stock appear to Altras.

However, although Decathlon have a store in Santiago, Forum Sport does not, its closest being Ponferrada. Both hace stores in Pamplona.
I'd never heard of Forum Sport. Very useful info - thanks so much!

Most read last week in this forum

I just completed the Camino Fracis. I got to the pilgrim office in time to get my compesela, and had a very positive experience there. I dedicated my camino to a close cousin who recently passed...
It's been 5 years since being in Santiago and my perceptions are stuck in a decade ago. But these days it's so much easier to find good vegetarian and vegan food here. Yesterday I had a wonderful...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.