A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Camino Forum Store

Advertisement

Buying Sleeping Bag in Spain

Hi:

Starting later this week I will be doing the Roncesvals--Santiago de Compostela route. I plan a 30-32 day trip solo...very exciting!

I'm in Madrid preparing for the trip and realize that the heavy duty sleeping bag I brought from the US may not be necessary.

Do you think I can get away with just a silk sleeping bag and pillow case? If so, I would appreciate any recommendations on brands/styles and -- most importantly -- WHERE I can buy these things in Madrid...

Thanks in advance for your help.

Anne :D

Advertisment

JohnnieWalker

Nunca se camina solo
Donating Member
There are a number of good trecking suppliers in Madrid and I was looking in one of them not far from the Puerta del Sol just a few weeks ago. Ask in your hotel or in the Corte Ingles (which also stocks camping gear) - people are very helpful and will give you directions. I also picked up a fab walking stick ( a baston ) for only 7 euros - looked very authentic!

JohnnieWalker

Nunca se camina solo
Donating Member
I checked this out again 3 weeks ago on my way to rejoin the VdlP and the Corte Ingles had a seriously impressive range of gear at very good prices compared to what we pay in the UK - it included all season equipment and has a very good range of walking sticks and poles again at very reasonable prices.

N

nathanael

sorry my friends but you didn't answer the question whether one can get along with just a silk liner for sleeping. Can you thanks.

n

Advertisment

Annie was going in June. If that's the case then a silk bag is sufficient for June July. I went in August, September, October, took a silk bag and ended up buying a sleeping bag in Pamplona. Glad I did.
Lillian

viajero

I walked in March/early April and brought a sleeping bag. A friend joined me in Ponferrada for the last week. She brought only a liner and was fine. All of the places that we stayed, however, had blankets. Most of the albergues from Roncesvalles onwards had blankets. We were there during colder weather but I would imagine that blankets would be available year round. It sure would be nicer to carry just the liner.

N

nathanael

about sleeping bags last year I started in early May and I was cold with just a liner..yes there are blankets in most places..in Roncesvalles didn't see any and it was very cold didn't sleep well all nite..so rather you get something that is comfortable and warm..it is very important to sleep cosy..good Camino...oh yes Cortes Inglis is excellent.
n :D

Camino(s) past & future
On it now
Hi:

Starting later this week I will be doing the Roncesvals--Santiago de Compostela route. I plan a 30-32 day trip solo...very exciting!

I'm in Madrid preparing for the trip and realize that the heavy duty sleeping bag I brought from the US may not be necessary.

Do you think I can get away with just a silk sleeping bag and pillow case? If so, I would appreciate any recommendations on brands/styles and -- most importantly -- WHERE I can buy these things in Madrid...

Thanks in advance for your help.

Anne :D
NO WAY! I'm on day 5 and came with a liner. No blankets provided the last 3 nights, and last night not a bed available in Zubiri...many of us had only the cement floor of an unheated gym! I'm in Pamplona shopping for a sleeping bag today! Buen Camino!

RJM

Camino(s) past & future
A few times, but soon again I hope....
NO WAY! I'm on day 5 and came with a liner. No blankets provided the last 3 nights, and last night not a bed available in Zubiri...many of us had only the cement floor of an unheated gym! I'm in Pamplona shopping for a sleeping bag today! Buen Camino!
That original posting was from June 2007.

OLDER threads on this topic

Advertisement

Most read today

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 7 1.3%
  • February

Votes: 3 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 24 4.5%
  • April

Votes: 85 15.9%
  • May

Votes: 141 26.4%
  • June