• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Buying socks from the old man in Castrojeriz

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexwalker

Forever Pilgrim
Time of past OR future Camino
2009-2022: CFx6, CP, VdlPx2, Mozarabe, more later.
In the town square of Castrojeriz, this old man is selling almost anything from his tiny shop. I stop there every time to buy at least one pair of Lorpen socks, the best I have ever used for walking the Camino, and elsewhere. Each time, we share a good hug and chat. The price of the socks (17 Euros, worth every cent IMHO) may have added to his joy, I suppose...;)

IMG_0812.JPG

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Still wearing the Lorpen socks I bought from him . A Godsend for me at the time as I was equipped with thick Australian Merino wool socks and my feet were literally baking . His socks saved my feet and Camino .

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
It was 10 years ago...gorsh! I arrived into Hornillos did my laundry and picked up the book I had brought along, "The Age of Pilgrimage: The Medieval Journey to God" by Jonathon Sumption, now Sir Jonathon Sumption, a favorite book then and now. Stopped reading for dinner and then continued reading until they turned the lights out on me. Next morning, bright eyed and bushy tailed set proudly off for Castrojerez...leaving behind a-l-l of my unmentionables hanging there on the clothesline. Even before stopping at Albergue San de Esteban right next door, popped in and restocked (rebooted-no perhaps rebutted?) in his shop. He had everything a pilgrim might need and it was a lovely experience.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Pardon me, folks, but I’m just trying to remember. Is he the fellow whose store is just to the right of the stairs going up to what I’ve always thought of as the municipal albergue? (I cannot recall the town square.)
That is correct!

In the town square of Castrojeriz, this old man is selling almost anything from his tiny shop. I stop there every time to buy at least one pair of Lorpen socks, the best I have ever used for walking the Camino, and elsewhere. Each time, we share a good hug and chat. The price of the socks (17 Euros, worth every cent IMHO) may have added to his joy, I suppose...;)

View attachment 49082

Thanks so much for posting this!

I also stop in whenever in Castrojeriz and am so pleased to hear that others also hold fond memories of him!

My first visit was 8 years ago and I just loved his store and him! I have no idea what I bought but what I do remember was our conversation. He told me that he was getting on in age and that there was no one to care for the shop when he no longer can, that his children were not interested. I felt then and there that his store must continue!

This past month I was once again in Castrojeriz, just passing through but in need of gloves which I had lost a few days before. Would he still be alive? Would the store still be open? What a wonderful surprise to see that he still is there! Once again we talked - about changes along the Camino, his store and the pleasure he has in still running it. "How old do you think I am?" he asked. "Around 80 by now I guess". With a twinkle in his eye he said, "I'm 86 but am still clear of mind". Once again he said that the shop's future was uncertain.

It was time to walk on so we said goodbye. He took my hand and thanked me for stopping in to check on him. What a lovely smile!

For days I thought about him and his store. It would be wonderful if someone would take it over, I even thought about it, although it would not be the same without him.

May he be healthy and happy for years to come.

Thanks Alex, that helps. Got snow? My mom just had 12" (30 cm) last Friday in upstate New York.

Here, at home, it is 76 (f) (24 celsius), got plenty of warm sun too...

LOL

Be well...

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thanks Alex, that helps. Got snow? My mom just had 12" (30 cm) last Friday in upstate New York.

Here, at home, it is 76 (f) (24 celsius), got plenty of warm sun too...

LOL

Be well...
He he...

Thanks for asking; we have 2C and NO snow, way north in the Arctic. Today was last day of sunshine: The next two months will be more or less in the dark. Time for staying inside and planning a Camino! :D:D

Thanks so much for posting this!

I also stop in whenever in Castrojeriz and am so pleased to hear that others also hold fond memories of him!

My first visit was 8 years ago and I just loved his store and him! I have no idea what I bought but what I do remember was our conversation. He told me that he was getting on in age and that there was no one to care for the shop when he no longer can, that his children were not interested. I felt then and there that his store must continue!

This past month I was once again in Castrojeriz, just passing through but in need of gloves which I had lost a few days before. Would he still be alive? Would the store still be open? What a wonderful surprise to see that he still is there! Once again we talked - about changes along the Camino, his store and the pleasure he has in still running it. "How old do you think I am?" he asked. "Around 80 by now I guess". With a twinkle in his eye he said, "I'm 86 but am still clear of mind". Once again he said that the shop's future was uncertain.

It was time to walk on so we said goodbye. He took my hand and thanked me for stopping in to check on him. What a lovely smile!

For days I thought about him and his store. It would be wonderful if someone would take it over, I even thought about it, although it would not be the same without him.

May he be healthy and happy for years to come.
:)

I hope other pilgrims will report here about him. He is a very special, nice man, and may he and his great shop live long.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I was in Catrojeriz about a month and a half ago. I wish I had known about this gentleman then. I distinctly recall that I took a peek inside his shop while taking a stroll at the center of the town. He looked as gentle and humble as in the picture above. It was late in the evening and his place was one of the few ones seemed to be still open as if the owner still needed to cater to the needs of pilgrims. It would be real loss for his shop to close down for good. People like this gentleman make the Camino walk so meaningful!

View attachment 49082
Alex, did you happen to get the name of this gentleman?

Hey, I have an idea.
@Rebekah Scott lives not far away.
Maybe we can bribe her to print this out and go over there to show this wonderful man that his kindness doesn't go out like an arrow into the dark, but that it really makes a difference to people. And about how peregrin@s all over the world remember him and his tienda.
He does partly know that, I have no doubt.
But it never hurts to see how much people actually appreciate what you do. ;)
It might simply make his day - as he has made the day for others.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
For the exact location of this wonderful shop, Bazar El Peregrino, and many photos of its gracious owner and the well stocked interior
see
https://goo.gl/maps/xU6VBdruzvB2
...Long may this special man and his wonderful shop continue to be!

€83,-
For the exact location of this wonderful shop, Bazar El Peregrino, and many photos of its gracious owner and the well stocked interior
see
https://goo.gl/maps/xU6VBdruzvB2
...Long may this special man and his wonderful shop continue to be!
Thank you very much for that link with pictures!!! It has never occured to me to get a sello from the shop :mad:

But now the man has a name we can greet him with the next time (There WILL be a next time!) Seems he is the 3rd generation running the business.

I too was in Castrojeriz last month and during my wanderings around the town entered this lovely shop in the late afternoon. This gentleman was sitting in attendance as I cast my eye around his eclectic range of wares. Indeed, if there was anything that I needed I would have happily given him some business, but alas, keen to keep my pack light there was nothing that I required. I did ponder on what the story behind the shop was, but without any Spanish I was too shy to attempt a conversation with him. I wish I had. I couldn't help but wonder, and speculate, about its history and his story. It seemed like looking into a time-tunnel. Thank you to all those who have shed some light into the story of the man and his store.

I specifically decided to stay the night in Castrojeriz in the hope that I might find a desperately-needed pair of new socks, and thought this would be my last opportunity before Leon.

Unfortunately this little shop was not as well-stocked as I had hoped and there were no socks in a sensible size for a woman with average-sized feet.

But - well worth knowing is that there is a super outdoor shop in Carrion de los Condes, stocking top quality socks, underwear, clothes, water bottles, blister kit, mini toiletries etc. Well worth a visit if you need new or replacement gear. I didn't see this shop mentioned in a guide book or on my app - it's across the road from the church of Santa Maria, if I remember correctly.

So worth carrying on to Carrion if no luck in Castrojeriz.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
My point was that if it doesn’t have EVERYTHING you’ll need (and it clearly didnt have everything I needed) there is another family-run shop between there and Leon.

I bought a pair of socks, and asked if he would take a credit card. He smiled (a bit wickedly, I thought) and said in pretty good English: Money, money, money. Luckily there was a bank machine at hand ....

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
In less than a month from now, on my way to do volunteering work in the Pilgrim's Office in Santiago in late May - early June, I will be in Castrojeriz, and will be going to the shop again: I need 2 more pairs of his socks... I will print a resume of this thread and hand over to Senor Amancio Yagüez in his shop. I am sure his children or grandchildren can read/translate it for him. I just strongly hope he's still up and running. Will notify you when there. If others pass by earlier than me, please notify in this thread.

Edit: For his relatives, I am posting the link to this thread, so that they can look it up themselves:

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...the-old-man-in-castrojeriz.59048/#post-723801

Last edited:
his shop has EVERYTHING you'll need.
I agree.....well, the two times I stopped there, he did in fact, have socks which fitted me and I have small feet so needed the small size.....as far as I could see, he had a wonderful range of items. I didn't stop there when I was staying in Castrojeriz last year though so cannot say whether or not he is still there.....perhaps others may know.

View attachment 49082
I met today Amancio in his store and bought a pair of Lorpen socks which I have not been able to buy anywhere in Barcelona and Burgos. Amazing store and beautiful man. Please support this legend. He has a very nice sello!

Attachments

• 20190427_171331conAmancio.jpg
    20190427_171331conAmancio.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 27
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
My guy still has the 2 pair of Lorpen's he bought on his 2013 Camino. They went on Camino 2016 and he's already got them out for 2019! LOL

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I met today Amancio in his store and bought a pair of Lorpen socks which I have not been able to buy anywhere in Barcelona and Burgos. Amazing store and beautiful man. Please support this legend. He has a very nice sello!
I FORGOT THE SELLO!!!! YET ANOTHER TIME !!!

Have to do another Camino soon !! 😎😎😎

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I remember him well. He has the small shop on the right side as you are just passing the church. (Kind of in the main square where they celebrate the garlic festival). Hope he is well

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back