• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Buying sticks on the camino

Jenny Fortune

Time of past OR future Camino
Northern camino
Can anyone advise me whether it's possible to buy cheap walking sticks at the beginning of the camino, Irun or hendaye? thanks, Jenny

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I bought my first wooden stick at SJPDP across from the Office of Pilgrims. On my times on the Camino, I have preferred the wooden sticks and were able to either buy them for about 5 Euros and sometimes even got them for free as leftovers (specially on the big anchor cities along the Camino Frances). The last one I left at a corner outside the Cathedral, an attendant told me they go around every evening and collect leftover wooden sticks . One time I just went into an Albergue and asked if there were leftover wooden sticks. I had about 8-10 to picked from. There were sections where a walking aid is a knee-saver! Buen Camino!

I don't know about Irun or Hendaye...but there are shops catering to pilgrims in main Camino cities, as SJPP, Pamplona, Logroño, Burgos and León.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
St. Jean has shops where you can buy wooden walking sticks as well as modern, telescoping aluminum ones, as does Pamplona.

In contrast to SJPdP where there are hiking staffs everywhere I had trouble finding one in Irun. Finally, the hospitelero directed me to a small shop run by Augustin (Paseo Colon, 7) that looked like an antique store. I didn't see any staffs and thought I was at the wrong store. But, in a back corner he had many hiking staffs, or makilas, all about 10-12 Euro.

Augustin gave me his business card. I noted his last name was Thalamas. I asked,"Is that Basque?"

"No, my father is French and I was born in France, but my grandfather is Greek. My mother is a Jew from Granada. Europe is small. There have been a lot of wars. People move around a lot."

Augustin also showed me a really nice handcrafted traditional Basque makila. He unscrewed the tip to reveal a concealed glistening lance that looked razor sharp. It sort of gave new meaning to "walk softly but carry a big stick."

Be sure to get the makila before setting off for San Sebastian.

On the CF the hike between Portomarin and Arzúa is called rompepiernas (leg breaker). I called the hike between Irun and San Sebastian rompetobillos (ankle breaker).The makila really helped.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I had the same question because I am considering leaving my pacer poles behind due to the stress of possibly having to check them. There are at least two sporting goods stores in Irun and I checked their website and it appears that they sell the trekking/ski poles. Still haven't decided but at least i now know that I have that option. I would not want to tackle the first leg of the Camino del Norte without sticks.

€149,-
St. Jean has shops where you can buy wooden walking sticks as well as modern, telescoping aluminum ones, as does Pamplona.

Any shop names that you remember ? My trekking poles have disappeared en route and I will need another pair once I arrive in SJPDP.

Any shop names that you remember ? My trekking poles have disappeared en route and I will need another pair once I arrive in SJPDP.
Don't remember the names of the shops, but they are quite easy to find both in St. Jean and Pamplona. You will see them when you are there, or just inquire as to their locations. Believe me, it won't be difficult to get replacement trekking poles.
Buen Camino

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I had the same question because I am considering leaving my pacer poles behind due to the stress of possibly having to check them. There are at least two sporting goods stores in Irun and I checked their website and it appears that they sell the trekking/ski poles. Still haven't decided but at least i now know that I have that option. I would not want to tackle the first leg of the Camino del Norte without sticks.

Hello Rickster - and everyone else, would you mind telling us the name of the shops please, or even which shops are accesible by foot from the albergues? ? I also want to carry my pack to Spain as carry on - but don't want to be without poles :)
Thanks.
I have found this one online http://www.intersport.es/productos/outdoor/bastones but would prefer a shop I could walk to myself :)

Last edited:
Hello Rickster - and everyone else, would you mind telling us the name of the shops please, or even which shops are accesible by foot from the albergues? ? I also want to carry my pack to Spain as carry on - but don't want to be without poles :)
Thanks.
I have found this one online http://www.intersport.es/productos/outdoor/bastones but would prefer a shop I could walk to myself :)
Sorry for the delay. I saw first hand in Irun that you can get poles at intersport as mentioned earlier. Very easy to find and yes you will need it if you take the alpinist route to the very top on the way to San Pedro and the San Sebastián.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Sorry for the delay. I saw first hand in Irun that you can get poles at intersport as mentioned earlier. Very easy to find and yes you will need it if you take the alpinist route to the very top on the way to San Pedro and the San Sebastián.

Thanks Rickster, appreciate that. I have also found there is a Decathlon in Irun, so seems like I'll have more than enough variety to choose from (and many tempting hiking toys to not buy!)

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.