• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Buying trekking Poles?

Bill54

My backpack will be a carry on luggage, but I will not be able to bring my Trekking poles as carry on. I will be landing in Madrid, then take a train to Pamplona, and a bus to St. Jean. Is it better to buy the poles in Pamplona or St. Jean?

Thanks.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Bill,

You might want to start off from SJPdP with poles! In SJPdP try this shop >> http://directioncompostelle.com/ To make certain that they have what you are looking for you might email them in advance. The shop is run by a former pilgrim who is VERY user friendly.

Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
My backpack will be a carry on luggage, but I will not be able to bring my Trekking poles as carry on. I will be landing in Madrid, then take a train to Pamplona, and a bus to St. Jean. Is it better to buy the poles in Pamplona or St. Jean?

Thanks.

Bill, maybe you could break down your bag into two and keep the smaller one with you on carry on and leave the bigger bulkier one in check in. I haven't met an airline (besides air busses like Ryanair) that didn't have an item in check in and carry on included in the ticket. It ought save you more money and it would eliminate the the adjustment factor of try to adjust to new poles, that may not even like.

Last edited:
Bill,

You might want to start off from SJPdP with poles! In SJPdP try this shop >> http://directioncompostelle.com/ To make certain that they have what you are looking for you might email them in advance. The shop is run by a former pilgrim who is VERY user friendly.

Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith
Thank you Margaret, I shall be contacting the shop to see if they have anything similar to what I have right now!

Take care.

Bill

Last time we rocked into Pamplona, we stayed at the Jesus y Maria Albergue. Right around the corner was a newly opened pilgrim shop believe it or not, packed to the brim with everything a pilgrim could possibly use and more. They had a good range of poles. The prices we're very agreeable and the young couple who I think we're the proprietors, we're super friendly and helpful. Can't for the life of me remember what is was called though.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Ah yes yes, this is the one! They didn't object to us walking around the shop with an open can of San Miguel either. :)

Not exactly replying to this thread but it has been mentioned in other threads that many pilgrims leave their poles at the albergues, not usually at the beginning but when they have finished.

1-20130719_123307.jpg

Poles are sold very cheaply and we should help the people selling them who earn a very small amount. To get it free see my picture of a bundle of raw stems of trees mechanically
cut by the road works widening the road, these were collected and left for pilgrims at the entrance of the albergue. The ends need trimming and some other polishing work to make it look like the staff used by the original pilgrims.

1-20130720_114447.jpg

Another picture shows where these straight stem comes from.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
If you have access to EBAY , I believe you can buy poles for less than half of a store , ,I pull my poles apart and tape them together and they fit in my pack, just right and then check my bag at the airport. RYAN does charge for checking , and I do ,but I have heard pilgrims say that Ryan accepted in carry on, poles disassembled and taped. i'll be in SJPP on sept 8th for another walk . Just can't stay away .
note : poles I love are Schratt 1803- I got two for $40, but use only one.

If you have access to EBAY , I believe you can buy poles for less than half of a store , ,I pull my poles apart and tape them together and they fit in my pack, just right and then check my bag at the airport. RYAN does charge for checking , and I do ,but I have heard pilgrims say that Ryan accepted in carry on, poles disassembled and taped. i'll be in SJPP on sept 8th for another walk . Just can't stay away .
note : poles I love are Schratt 1803- I got two for $40, but use only one.
Thanks Howard, I shall give it a go!

Thanks.
I've never had any problems on multiple trips across the Atlantic and between countries in Europe and in North America hand-carrying onboard my telescoped down trekking poles onto planes, trains, and busses. This is in addition to any carryon items. However, I have experienced repeated problems remembering to take them with me from albergues and coffee stops!!!

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Me either, not even leaving from the airport at Santiago de Compostela. Mine telescope down and are made of carbon fibre, not metal, and I remove the metal tips and keep them separate.

Last time we rocked into Pamplona, we stayed at the Jesus y Maria Albergue. Right around the corner was a newly opened pilgrim shop believe it or not, packed to the brim with everything a pilgrim could possibly use and more. They had a good range of poles. The prices we're very agreeable and the young couple who I think we're the proprietors, we're super friendly and helpful. Can't for the life of me remember what is was called though.
I had the same experience. Right down the street from the cathedral which is worth a visit

I've bought supplies in both SJPP and Pamplona. Both are nice shops and both have everything a pilgrim needs, including poles. I'd email and check prices in both places.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.