• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Buying walking pole at Ferrol Decathlon

Dennis M

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2015 - Camino Ingles; Future Caminho Portuguése, Camino de Fisterra
Buen Camino!

I'm buying my walking pole as soon as I arrive Ferrol to avoid check-in when leaving US. I read in this forum that I can buy it at Decathlon store in Ferrol. I googled map the place and found the exact location. Is kind of a distant location so I may need to take public transportation.

My question, does anyone know how to get to the store using public transpo? I arrive Sunday so the public service may be limited.

Let me know. Thanks.

here's the link to the store http://www.decathlon.es/es/store?store_id=PS_ES_35

Dennis

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
My wife and I were thinking of doing the same thing...that is avoiding checking the poles from the US, and getting poles in either Madrid when we land, or in Ferrol once we get of the night train on a Monday morning. I understand that Decathlon is a pretty big sporting goods store; I found a store called Deportes Koala in Madrid, near our hotel. Anyone know anything about that store?

I assume if we get poles in Madrid, we can carry them on the train, with our backpacks...does anyone know if that would be ok?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I packed mine with my backpack as carry on from America to Madrid. No problems there or home. Some of the Churches had them in the give away piles as some people didnt like them. couldnt do without mine.

I didn't noticed the timetable. I assumed, it's like in US where almost every store is open on Sundays. That was a good catch Falcon and everyone.

Maybe, I'll do the same like rlr9200. I may try to get in Barcelona since I'm allowed a check-in on my Barcelona-A Coruna flight. I don't mind the check-in on this flight since the wait time to claim baggage is way shorter than international flights.

Thanks to ALL!!

Buen Camino!!!

Reading your post about buses to Porto I wonder if you might not find a pole in Santiago, if you have time. Sometimes they are left by pilgrims who cannot pack them home. Maybe posting a question on the equipment thread would get a quick answer. Are any left in the pilgrims office for example.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
My wife and I were thinking of doing the same thing...that is avoiding checking the poles from the US, and getting poles in either Madrid when we land, or in Ferrol once we get of the night train on a Monday morning. I understand that Decathlon is a pretty big sporting goods store; I found a store called Deportes Koala in Madrid, near our hotel. Anyone know anything about that store?

I assume if we get poles in Madrid, we can carry them on the train, with our backpacks...does anyone know if that would be ok?

Hi, rlr, I've never been to that store (I had an urgent rush to buy hiking poles in Madrid after mine were checked and lost by the airlines -- went to a store named Barrabes). But the website shows it to be a serious outdoor store. They will certainly have some hiking poles to choose from: http://tienda.deporteskoala.com/112-bastones

Great area to stay in in Madrid by the way! Enjoy and buen camino, Laurie

Is there, please, a shop or other place in el Ferrol - preferably near the centre - where I can but a good, old-fashioned, wooden pole?

Hi, rlr, I've never been to that store (I had an urgent rush to buy hiking poles in Madrid after mine were checked and lost by the airlines -- went to a store named Barrabes). But the website shows it to be a serious outdoor store. They will certainly have some hiking poles to choose from: http://tienda.deporteskoala.com/112-bastones

Great area to stay in in Madrid by the way! Enjoy and buen camino, Laurie

Thanks! We are thinking we will find what we need at the Koala store. We are counting down the days...only a little more than a month to go.

Buen Camino.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Reviving this thread -- does anyone know of a sporting goods store closer than Decathalon to the start of the Camino in Ferrol that would have walking poles?

Thread is from 2015. Things may have changed. From Google search all of the sports stores are clothing and surfing stores, other than Decathlon [not opening a Sunday]. Other members of the forum may know more...

Most read last week in this forum

I will be walking my first ever camino this September and have chosen the Camino Ingles. The Inca Trail is the only other multi-day hike I have ever done and is roughly the same length in terms of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back