• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Buying Walking Poles in Bayonne?

RosaCaminando

Time of past OR future Camino
Tbd.
Hello Camino Forum,
I have been lurking here for a while, because I have been preparing for my Camino. But now that it is starting in 4 days and I'm too excited to even sleep well, I finally had to create an account and ask a question about buying Walking Poles. I can't fly with my own because of the airlines safety regulations. But I would like to buy a very similar pair in Bayonne.

I googled that a Decathlon, Go Sport and Intersport are on the way from Biarritz airport to the city. So chances are that they have walking poles too. But if anyone here knows and has been to one of the shops maybe they could confirm? I'm looking for a pair of (non-telescopic) one size sticks, that have a "glove" for the hand which allows much better grip than the ones with string, and preferably I also want to buy the rubber tips to cover the spikes when walking on alphalt. Are these kinf of walking poles available in Bayonne?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi @RosaCaminando, here's a photograph of a very good sports/outdoor store in Bayonne. I'm sure it will sell walking poles, as it seemed to have all kinds of hiking supplies.

IMG_7340.JPG
It's one one of the main shopping street - on two streets actually, as it has a front and rear entrance. Quite close to the cathedral, where you can pick up a credential if you need one.

My husband laughed at me for taking this photo - but I'm glad that it proved useful!

one size sticks, that have a "glove" for the hand
I don't think that I have ever seen them in shops in France and Spain. I have had a couple of pair, but I think they have fallen out of favor over the years as telescoping poles have dominated the market.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Is there a specific and compelling reason that you need the ' glove ' type hand grip ?
They are particularly comfortable but I find them very restrictive for steep descent work . I use telescopic poles on most of my extreme bush walks the adjustable feature is useful so that the length can be shortened for ascents and lengthened for descents . The strap and simple handgrip allows you to easily flip the poles forward down hill and backwards uphill . A glove grip may increase the risk of carpal tunnel complications . Most sticks have rubber tips and sand baskets supplied with them , otherwise any old hardware shop can supply all manner of rubber chair and walking stick tips that are bound to suit .

There is a very comprehensive stock list at the peregrino shop in SJPDP.
I have seen the email address given on this site.
Perhaps if one of the regular walkers see this they will be able to supply it.
That would save you carrying the poles from Bayonne

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
In addition to the pilgrim shop mentioned above, there is in SJPP a full-on sporting goods shop. It is called Maya, and it is located just out of the center next to the large Carrefour supermarket. Here is a map showing where it is located relative to the Pilgrim's Office, a 600 meter walk away. There hours seem a little unpredictable, but their selection is worth a look.

But if anyone here knows and has been to one of the shops maybe they could confirm?

I bought a pair of walking poles in Decathlon on the way from Biarritz airport to Bayonne (in fact the store is in Anglet, the same neighbourhood where the airport is). They have a whole range of walking poles, available in every Decathlon store in Europe. Here is the link to the google map:

Decathlon in Anglet

As for the types of poles available there, click this link: www.decathlon.fr - then click "Mon Magasin" at the top of the page and enter the location of your store (Region: Aquitaine, town: Anglet) and you will see if they have the kind of poles you are looking for in stock (the French word for a walking pole is BATON)
Buen Camino!

Last edited by a moderator:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Specifically "batons de marche" otherwise you could be talking about ski poles.
I'm pleased to see some affordable ones at Decathalon. Since I may leave them behind when I return home. Vs. ditching my good $80 REI ones.
Here is the general link for trekking poles (set of 2) on their site for an idea of what the store in Bayonne may have.
Don't forget the little rubber boots for the tips called "embouts" for the concrete walking. They are freaking adorable.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi there, I’m starting my first Camino Frances early May, and I don’t know whether I need hiking poles or not? I’m 26 years old, relatively fit and don’t have any injuries (yet!) I used poles for...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hi. Shawn and Lainey are a lovely couple - so positive! - who now live in Galicia and have a Youtube presence "Days we Spend" with plenty of excellent and informative Camino videos - they are...
I am finally embarking on my first camino later this year. I will be taking my Canon R6 camera with me. For others that have taken DLSR’s or mirrorless cameras, what lens or lenses did you find...
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.