• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Buying walking poles in Le Puy

HilaryF

Time of past OR future Camino
Le Puy route Aug/Sep ( 2016)
Camino Frances Sept (2017)
Hi all.

I am finding these forums wonderfully helpful planning my Camino in August this year. I am leaving from Le Puy, planning to walk all the way to Santiago. I was wondering if anyone could tell me if it is practicable to wait until I get to Le Puy before I buy some walking poles, or would I be better to bring them with me.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
There is a Decathalon store in Le Puy (other sporting goods stores may exist) their website suggests an extensive range of poles in stock. Two issues you may wish to consider: Most users would recommend practising with poles before you set out on a long trip; and, if you are bringing poles with you you will be obliged to ship them as checked baggage.

There is a sports shop in the old part of town. You may not have much choice. I would personally bring them with me. I have black Diamond z poles. My old poles had gone rusty and ceased up, so I had no poles starting from Le Puy and the sport shop was closed. Luckily an old gentleman I met on the road gave me his old ones he no longer used.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Gittihare is right - there is not a huge choice in the sport store - though they would likely have some walking poles in stock. Some pilgrims just carry a single wooden walking stick - there would be no shortage of those in shops all around the old town.

Or consider your options before reaching Le Puy. I've twice bought poles in Paris en route to the chemin. This year I plan to buy them in Madrid en route to Burgos.

Buying poles us a fine chore for the jet-lagged who is trying not to nap in the middle of the day.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Or consider your options before reaching Le Puy. I've twice bought poles in Paris en route to the chemin. This year I plan to buy them in Madrid en route to Burgos.

Buying poles us a fine chore for the jet-lagged who is trying not to nap in the middle of the day.

I am a bit worried about them being damaged on my flight over from Australia. It might be worthwhile buying them in London where I have a short stopover, although as you say, a bit of a challenge for the jet lagged.
Thanks for all the helpful replies.

Hallo Hilary, i carried my Leki poles from Melbourne to Le Puy in 2014 ... no problems at all ... if ur nervous about damage just wrap them in some cardboard and some of you clothes, towel, etc. and bury in the middle of bur backpack and all shoyld be good, unless ur very unlucky :) i did the same on return journey sans cardboard and they arrived in perfect good order ... i will be taking them the same way this coming May. That said, London would be a good spot to buy poles [though exchange rate may mean u end up paying more than you expect] ... there are Decathlon stores in the UK and that would be my first port of call ... good gear at excellent prices ... i have just purchased sone gear from their online UK store [not poles, mind] ... one third of the price i would expect to pay here ... for a personal recommendation on poles, women specific sizing for hand grips = Leki Cressida AS. Bon chemin!

You don't need them unless you have a knee, hip or back problem. I have done both the Le Puy and the C/F and I really can't see the need for them. Possibly the only place you may need them is the descent into Conques, and if you take it easy then, they are not necessary there. If you do take them you will be carrying them most of the time, just more weight.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I would not have made it down to Monistrol without them....

Can you walk without poles? Will you be ok with taking whatever poles are on offer in Le Puy?
I can't take that chance, so I'm always shipping mine over for each camino. They've never been damaged in transit. I think they are well protected when folded up and padded in some clothes in the middle of the backpack.
Yes it is a nuisance that I have to book them into hold luggage each time, and the budget airlines charge more for that.
But a new pair would cost considerably more than paying to put them into the hold.

Just a thought: We can do "click and collect" here in the UK, i.e. if you know what you want you can buy it online and have it delivered to the store of your choice. Then pick it up later. That might solve your problem if you can find what you want online.
It doesn't have to be Le Puy - there may be other stores e.g. in Lyon. But I suspect it would be more hassle arranging this than just bringing your own with you.

I agree, except that I take one with me for security on trails and keep it looped along my bag half the time (I'm a quick draw). :)

My wife has half knee replacements on both knees and she carries one for the bad bits down some of the hills. The rest of the time she curses having to carry it either in her hand or on her pack. I think some pilgrims don't take the weight of them into account.

Hallo Hilary, i carried my Leki poles from Melbourne to Le Puy in 2014 ... no problems at all ... if ur nervous about damage just wrap them in some cardboard and some of you clothes, towel, etc. and bury in the middle of bur backpack and all shoyld be good, unless ur very unlucky :) i did the same on return journey sans cardboard and they arrived in perfect good order ... i will be taking them the same way this coming May. That said, London would be a good spot to buy poles [though exchange rate may mean u end up paying more than you expect] ... there are Decathlon stores in the UK and that would be my first port of call ... good gear at excellent prices ... i have just purchased sone gear from their online UK store [not poles, mind] ... one third of the price i would expect to pay here ... for a personal recommendation on poles, women specific sizing for hand grips = Leki Cressida AS. Bon chemin!

Thanks for that. I had thought about some very secure packing if I can make it fit. As is some other advice about practicing with them before I go, so I may have to take a pair with me and hope for the best.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
You don't need them unless you have a knee, hip or back problem. I have done both the Le Puy and the C/F and I really can't see the need for them. Possibly the only place you may need them is the descent into Conques, and if you take it easy then, they are not necessary there. If you do take them you will be carrying them most of the time, just more weight.

I am pretty sure my 60 year old knees will appreciate the walking poles !

Most read last week in this forum

Hello - I am planning to walk about the first half of the Via Podiensis next month, May 2024. I will start from Le Puy and walk for 16 days. I am flying into Paris and would like to purchase a sim...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back